PDA

View Full Version : No Power band????

300excrazy98
09-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey guys i just put my quad together today, go to ride it, and it feels like there is no power band at all.

Its a 87' 295r. cases are machined for a 340, has a pw keihln carb, bills header, lrd silencer. K&N filter

Also how hard is it to take off and replace the gasket between the clutch side case cover and the crank cases?

I need to replace one there and i just wanted to knwo what was ahead of me.

Also the quad seems to bog down in the higher rpms. How can i fix it? the carb has sat for a good 6 months?? think i just need to clean it?

deathman53
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
you need to rebuild the whole motor to replace case gaskets.

wykyd z400
09-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I believe he wants to replace the clutch cover gasket. I cant see where it would be too hard. I cant say for sure because I dont have an R yet.

300excrazy98
09-01-2006, 06:03 PM
the case COVER. anybody else help with other things?

MossboysRacing
09-01-2006, 06:07 PM
I just finished replacing a clutch cover gasket about 10 minutes ago, so here goes. All you really have to do is drain the oil, remove the kick starter, the 2 water pump hoses, and the 10 or so 8mm bolts that hold it on. Leave the water pump all intact to save a headache. Once all bolts are removed, i lightly tapped the cover with a mallet to break the seal and pull the cover straight off. Clean all the old gasket from the case mating surfaces. I use gasket sealer with the new gasket just in case, but thats imo. Make sure when putting the cover and new gasket back on that the impeller shaft for the water pump lines up with the counterballancer. If not it will not slide up tight, there will be like a 1/4 gap in the front. I don't think the clymer manual has a tourqe spec. on the cover bolts, so i just make them tight. If i forgot anything, by all means everyone else chime in.

smoxy
09-01-2006, 07:32 PM
My "R" doesn't have much of a powerband either! It's smooth and strong accross the board! I've owned two now, and both were the same! I think that's how the motor was designed, being counterbalanced and all! If you want the all out screeming pull your arm off powerband that a 2 stroke bike has, I don't think this is achievable! If it is, somone please enlighten me!I would love to have the powerband of a CR 250!

deathman53
09-01-2006, 08:12 PM
thats how a mx port is, a top end port has a very distictive powerband. A well ported mx motor, pulls hard all the way, dune guys like mid and top end ports. Pipes also can vary alot, a pv motor is kinda like a 4 stroke kit for a 2 stroke, but the 2 stroke hit(if you cluth it), and 2 stroke top end. also a good mx port reduces wheel spin.

300excrazy98
09-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Yea mine is really smooth accross the board. I thought it would be like a banshee, but oh well. IT does pull real hard thorugh out all of the rpms. It was ported by duncan, but i dotn kno what kind of port.

I wanted the power band of a cr250, but i guess that isnt going to happen

TampaBoy813
09-01-2006, 09:27 PM
man I wish mine was smooth...mine is like a light switch...off or on thats all she has now...I ride my sisters stock more 250r and have a better time...thinking of selling the non PV and getting a PV motor...

300excrazy98
09-02-2006, 08:43 AM
i would trade you for urs! thats how mine is ...smooth except in first it just has a lot of torque, spinning the wheels just trying to accerate then once the tires catch you do a 1ft high wheelie then its really smooth 2nd-5th

wilkin250r
09-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I realize that sometimes you don't realize what you want until it's missing, but it might not be too late.

Almost ANY racing company is going to give you a compromise between power and smooth delivery, because a hard-hitting powerband will generally REDUCE your lap times on a racetrack. Most of their R&D is focused around lap times, and so their porting jobs reflect this. However, just because their basic porting package gives a smooth delivery, that doesn't mean they aren't capable of giving you a light-switch powerband. You just need to ASK for it.

What kind of porting did you get from Duncan? If you have a really smooth powerband, you probably got a mx or midrange port job, which generally doesn't raise the exhaust port very high. Because there is still material left, you might be able to get it altered and still achieve that light-switch powerband you're looking for. If I were you, I would talk to Duncan. Most likely, because you're not satisfied with your port job as it sits, they'll either alter it for free to suite your needs, or at least give you a discount on additional work.

outlaw#9
09-03-2006, 08:40 AM
i found this on ebay Item number: 290024359411

looks like it may work out for you guys ...good luck

300excrazy98
09-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by outlaw#9
i found this on ebay Item number: 290024359411

looks like it may work out for you guys ...good luck

hahha, i just bidded on it!