PDA

View Full Version : got 300exs together, I hear a ticking sound.......

rebelbuggy
09-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Okay so I finally got her all together and crunk her up, she crunk up the first try and well its running.. but a few problems

Problem One: is my throttle lever seems to be back towards me to much and so it wont idel right I dont know if i can move it forward or not....

so I have to keep my thumb on the thorttle or it die..

Problem 2 is that I hear a tick tick tick ticking sound, my father said sounds like the valuves so Im guessing I should adjust them..

problem 3 ...
well I ran it for like 10 minutes to let warm up and I did a oil change everything looked great then I started riding it again and now oil is coming out of the head top.. its not that much but pretty good enough the top fins are covered and around the exhust pipe ( No blue SMOKE at all out the pipe)

Also it doesnt have any power, when you nail the throttle it just like dies out... Im guesisng I will have to re jet the carb...

I bored her over .40 and got 11:1 comperson now.. some had said i should rejet guess they was right...

I know I have had ALOT of questions today but I dont have really anyone else to help me. thank goddness my gf helped me put together the four wheeler

btw im 26 so no little kid

bradley300
09-01-2006, 04:03 PM
there should be some adjustment either on top of the carb, or at the throttle housing to adjust the throttle cable

the valves need adjusted

you might have forgot a washer on the external oil line, or just might not have the bolts tight enuff

adjust the cable and re jet

rebelbuggy
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
there should be some adjustment either on top of the carb, or at the throttle housing to adjust the throttle cable

the valves need adjusted

you might have forgot a washer on the external oil line, or just might not have the bolts tight enuff

adjust the cable and re jet

Thanks. I will have to get some new jets before I can do that..

i will check the cable

and will look at the oil tube. I think I touque liek the book said but i will recheck

bradley300
09-01-2006, 04:43 PM
take the external oil line off completly and make sure the thin metal washer is there

rebelbuggy
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
take the external oil line off completly and make sure the thin metal washer is there

Well I feel so stupid... I figured out why it didnt have any power..
I had the choke on Full choke, I cut that off and now it cranks right up and idels great.

I also fixed the oil leacking problem ... it was the top oil pipe ...you know it has that big metel washer like thing that supposed to go over the pipe, well it wasnt letting the bolt go all way down I took it off and put on a regular washer and it is Not leaking any more......

Now just for the tick tick ticking problem I still saying valuves need be adjusted but not sure. I looked at my ashust pipe and it looked like it wasnt all the way tight. my mom and gf thinks its the pipe not being all the way tight cause I tighted it a lil and the noise seemed to get quieter but not 100% I am going to try to re faten it in morning its WAY HOT right now......

Thanks guys for trying to help me out, sometimes you just got sit back and think.... I been working on this thing since 8am though. Im wore out..

rebelbuggy
09-02-2006, 08:04 PM
well We adjusted the valves today. but that didnt fix the problem
we have figured its the lifters... need new ones.

you can move them side to side and my friend said they shouldnt be any play in them... will have to wait untill I get extra cash for that

bradley300
09-03-2006, 07:09 AM
ive done that before. the first time i ever rode my 300ex i thought it sucked, pulled in the garage, after a few minutes i noticed the choke wa on, i liked it alot better the second ride,lol

rebelbuggy
09-03-2006, 07:49 AM
ive done that before. the first time i ever rode my 300ex i thought it sucked, pulled in the garage, after a few minutes i noticed the choke wa on, i liked it alot better the second ride,lol

Lol yeah I hear you.