PDA

View Full Version : Serouis Question??

Bean
08-28-2002, 06:27 PM
well, my dad's friend has a cannible, wit remape, new hmf pipe i belive, revalved ohlins, holeshots, and some custom raditor scoop thingy, now here is teh problem, he wants to sell it, he offerd to sell it to me real cheap, problem 2 - to get money, i HAV to sell my R, and i jus ordered a front end for it, what should i do?

Pappy
08-28-2002, 06:31 PM
dont take this the wrong way at all....can you handle the power of the c-dale:blah

man...that is a tough decision....glad it aint me....r or c dale...r or c dale...r or c dale....

what do you think you can get for the r?

is the c dale gonna make ya happy?

will i still be yer friend if you ride a c dale?:devil

do some thinkin bro....lol

cheetah
08-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Man that's tough. I wish I had that problem.:D :blah

Bean
08-28-2002, 06:45 PM
no u dont, i want to be a loyal honda fan, but the c-dale rocks too, thinkin sux

cheetah
08-28-2002, 06:56 PM
I would like to just ride an r. I've never rode either one I guess it depends on what you want. If you're not riding Honda, C-dale is still ok.:D

R-Crazy
08-28-2002, 08:39 PM
i have heard a few problems about the cdale. the frame can crack easilt, the radiator gets packed with mud, it is a pain in the ***** to maintain, and it relys too hard on a dinky batter. id rather have an R.

dave

Bean
08-28-2002, 09:13 PM
thanx guys, keep ur opinons commin...

08-28-2002, 09:15 PM
Well what kinda front end did you order and what kinda motor work do u got. Let me know than i will give u my opinion

Bean
08-28-2002, 09:23 PM
ok

motor = mx port, bored to about a 270 or so, pro desgin head, high comp, 38 airsryker, fatty and powercore 1 silencer, and some other stuff that i cant think of

front end - leager chromes +2+1 and works tripples wit rezzies set up for 165lbs

08-28-2002, 09:25 PM
Dude,

Keep that r. That sounds like a good set up. The real question is which can u ride faster a 4 stroke or 2 stroke

Bean
08-28-2002, 09:31 PM
i personally can ride a 2stroke faster on a track, and a 4 in the woods, il prob keep the R, but o wlel

Bean
08-29-2002, 07:06 PM
any other suggestions?

08-29-2002, 07:19 PM
I wsh i had that problem, if i did the R would be goneand hte c-dale would be in!

Bean
08-29-2002, 07:47 PM
yea, il make a list of good things about each of em, LOL :D

airheadedduner
08-30-2002, 12:07 AM
That is tuff. Sounds to me like both bikes are fairly evenly matched. The cannondale is an awesome machine but I do love that 2 stroke smell. I would keep your R.

crazy canadian
08-30-2002, 01:57 AM
if you're goona ride anything other than a honda, it should deffinately be a c-dale!

lil400exman
08-30-2002, 06:11 PM
for me it would be a number of factors
1. riding woods-xc or track-mx
2.maintaince-r is a litle better but c-dale is if you have a lotta time and like wrenching like me
3.future parts avail. the c-dale parts incventory will grow and the r's will dwindle cause they are no longer in to production
4.class u want to race too:p
answer these questions your self that can give you help
and one more
5.quietness for riding areas
6.fuel mileage too!
thats my list for buyin a quad!

airheadedduner
08-31-2002, 12:25 AM
Gotta remember the cannondale is a new machine, your R is far from new. The cannondale is also a thumper so it will last a lot longer between rebuilds. I don't think I would get much sleep tryin to make that choice:huh

Zuki
08-31-2002, 10:15 AM
As confuscious once told me in 14 A.D., study long grasshopper, study wrong.

Bean
08-31-2002, 02:46 PM
well, im goin to keep the R i think, unless someone makes a awsome post and changes my mind

Wired
08-31-2002, 03:15 PM
well i just skimmed through the topic posts but just take the cdale out for a ride since you know the guy pretty good im sure he'll let you. then ride the R and make your desicion. either way man you'll have a kick @ss RIDE! your in a win win situation:macho

jon

racin 400
08-31-2002, 10:12 PM
just tell your dads friend to give me the c-dale and the prob will be solved o yea i still want your works from u tell you dad to scratch ***.

Mxbubs
08-31-2002, 10:25 PM
As far as Im concerned, all the foreign manufacturers suck dootie, they are building less reliable and piss poor customer service.........If I had to do it all over again, CannonDale all the way.........I wish everyone would boycott those Yammy, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawi unheaven bound buttheads.:devil

Bean
09-02-2002, 01:21 PM
well, customer services isnt a problem for me, i dont call honda anymore, i dont hav a warrente thing anymore, il see if i can ride it again wit the new mods, i mgith change my mind...

josh
09-02-2002, 07:26 PM
dude, it is a tough decision, your r is like a legendary bike, but the cdale will also be, personally i would go w/the cdale because they are goin to discontinue making 2 strokes in like 2004 or somethin, so parts will prob be harder to find and the 4 stroke goes alot longer untill u do top end jobs, and owning a 2 stroke goin through rough terrain you got to have a strong clutch hand were a 4 stroke is much more stable at lower rpm's, it's your choise but u don't see many cdales for a good price, they kick *****, i say 4 stroke.:confused: ;)

MxDale71
09-02-2002, 08:28 PM
Whoever said C-dale frames break easy, is full of crap. They did a stress test on the frame and said it's actually stronger than most after market frames. Obviously, any frame will break, and those steel frames break more than the C-dale frames, you just don't hear about the steel frames as much because it's a regular occurance.

Don't stick with a certain quad just because you want to be a loyal Honda fan. Ride what you like and have the most fun on. Why would you want to be loyal to Honda anyways? For stopping production of one of the best quads ever produced? Or maybe for releasing a quad that everyone has to spend thousands on just to make the HP competitive to other stock machines? Or maybe for not releasing the quad that everyone is BEGGING for?

Bean
09-02-2002, 08:56 PM
i found a way around the rebuild problem to, if 250r pistons are goin to be discontiuned, il bolt up a cr250, they wont quit makin them at that 2004 ban deal, so its not a problem at all yet, its jus what do i think i will like better... and i am not brand loyal, i will shift over if i like the dale better

Sleeping Catfish
09-02-2002, 09:39 PM
2006 is the ban and STAY WITH THE 250R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

09-02-2002, 11:39 PM
First of all I will say that Cannondale frame are not something that is prone to break. I have never heard of one breaking. I have seen the removeable bottom engine rails crack when people case jumps, but that is not the frame. I have not had much experience on two strokes, so I can't really give an opinion on them, but I can tell you it is foolish to think that you will have to work on the Cannondale more than the "R". That is just not true. I am not sure where people are getting the idea that they are so high maintenance, but I have found mine to be a low maintenance machine. It requires some routine stuff, but other than that I have had to do nothing. It is not something that falls apart everytime you ride it. All that talk is just nonsense. As far as the radiator clogging and that crap you read in DirtWheels, that is an isolated incident as well. I have not had a single solitary problem with mine. I also really like the fact that I have 12:5:1 compression that runs pump gas. I could go on and on about how the quad performs and all the trick stuff on it, but I will save it. I will tell you that the one thing I have experienced first hand is the excellent customer service. Cannondale and thier dealerships will take very good care of you. That is something that is missing from a lot of the other companies these days. I would bet that if you bought one you would be happy with it. I will tell you that if you can swing it buy the "Moto". It is a really good deal for an MXer. Peace yo.... One more thing. Go to www.cannondale.com and download the maintenance manual. Mayby that would squash some of that work on them all the time jazz people talk.....ughhhhhh

redrider808
09-02-2002, 11:50 PM
well let me pipe in on this i had a 310r that i loved it had every thing but a frame . and that was on the way . and i had a 400ex set up too . but i sold both of them and got a moto .

i was in a points battle and my R kept letting me down i had 5 races where the R was broke down . all i did was work on the thing and yes i worked on it every week it never need a thing i kept it up .

i was a freak about my honda's.
trust me i did every thing to it as in up keep.

but had enuff with it breaking down .

so i got the moto and wow what a quad
pulls like my 400 did revs out like the R jumps better than the R
handles alot like my 400 did just a good quad

as 4 all the work you have to do to them i laff what change the oil and the trans ohhh . let me think i did that on 2 quads a week .

what i am sayin is yes its not as easy as a hond to work on but you dont have to do it as much.

so far all i have done is change the oil 3 times
tightin the 2 top a-arms nuts
changed the air filter once
fuel filter once
and this is after racing it for a month every friday and play riding

Bean
09-03-2002, 03:07 PM
any radator clogs if not cleaned, im not sayin the c-dale radatior is the only one to clog, they all will, im jus sayin any radatior will

MxDale71
09-03-2002, 06:50 PM
The C-dale radiator is more exposed though... but my gawd! By a dang radiator gaurd or make your own... it's not that hard.

Some people are just to lazy, and I guess you could say that the c-dale's are just not the right quad for those lazy people. Apperently having 4 oil drain bolts instead of 1 makes the Cannondale a "maintanance nightmare." Or having to unscrew 4 bolts to get to the airfilter makes the Cannondale a "maintanance nightmare"... (I shaved my fenders, so I only have 4 bolts that I have to undo to take the front plastic off). Good Lord... I hope some of these people don't get a flat tire... airing the tire up will probably make their quad a maintanance nightmare too! :huh

Bean - this post wasn't directed towards you obviously... just to all those people that say the Dales require so much more maintanance.

09-03-2002, 06:58 PM
this kid i know he same setup plus a arms and he had nice R and im pretty sure he likes the cdal alot more...hes alot faster on it and alot less problems i say do it

Bean
09-03-2002, 07:26 PM
yea, alot of people complain about R's ages and all that crap, with a new top end and bottom end, only thing left stock is the gears and clutch, its harder to fry that than the top end, im not worried about mantincie, i work on mine all the time, and it dont bother me, jus wonderin if it would be smart or someting...

stocktires
09-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Bean,
If you buy a dale, in a year I promise you'll want your R back, Even If you do like the Dale better.
I think it was lil400exman who said 250r parts would dwindle...HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA............... .....................sorry, just had to, ya know. Some people still dont realize Thats R's still aren't gonna go away for quite a while, even after 13 years.
Im not Honda loyal, Actually, I hate Honda, but like thier quads...
Dales dont seem too hard to keep up. Maybe a lil more than an ex, but not a whole lot.
For a cloggin radiator, just get some better guards or I think omf calls em "louvers" and problem solved
It depends on your R bean, Mine is freakin awesome, I have NEVER had a problem that wasnt owner caused :)
C-dale frames look really strong, and I'd surely trust one, thats the only thing I like better about em.
Cannondale dealers are one of the best things about them.
I see a few people that are basically guessing when trying to give you answers.
I havent ridden a Cannondale for more than about a minute, but from when I rode it, it was a badarse thumper.
But you R is already set-up and has ALOT of money into. Out of the two quads I'd DEFINATLEY take the R (mainly cuz of the suspension, but wait, doesnt that bolt right up to a cannondale?). You can get a good bit of money back out of yours for sure (and plus its an 88!) though.
Just cuz they're discontinuing non-racing two-strokes, doesnt mean the market will vanish (I can gaurentee that), It might actually make companies think seriously about producing a racing 2-stroke (Look at the new Gasgas, that thing is TIIIIGHT!).

But anyway, You MUST ride them to see which u'll like better, Like Jon said. Thats the biggest factor

airheadedduner
09-04-2002, 11:28 PM
After adding my 295 kit the stock clutch could not handle it. It fried the clutch, basket, center hub, and the rod and ball bearing that goes through the cases. I have had 2 buddies who have lost the trannies in there R's. So it is far from industructable. The dale is a much more reliable machine. IT is also easier to ride faster cause the thumper motor won't tirer you out as quick. Go for the dale. At least put some more saddle time in on it to help make your disicion.

There will never be a shortage of R parts, EVER.

stocktires
09-04-2002, 11:32 PM
You have the stock 86 clutch? I got an update kit on mine, Bean you should prolly do the same cuz I think 88 was a bit of a bad year for the clutch.

MichaelS693
09-05-2002, 07:30 PM
keep the 2 stroke cuase after ridin a 4 for a long time you get sick of it and wanna go back to a 2 just ask steven gates he sold his 300ex and is either gettin a 285cc blaster on alky with drag pipe or a stock banshee and im buildin a blaster motor and stuff right now too

09-05-2002, 08:31 PM
c dale ha sa powerband similar to a 2 stroke u ride the power like a 2 stroke as well...i say got wit the c dale...

Bean
09-05-2002, 08:39 PM
thanx guys, im prob goin to stay wit the R, i love it alot, not the fastest out there, and not the most reliavble, but, there is always a better machine

MxDale71
09-05-2002, 10:10 PM
I think Stocktires had the best post here. You do have a lot of money in that R. Not all of us are made of money, so you really should stick with what you got built up. If you go with the R, you'll still need to put a couple grand into it, to get it widened and suspended like your R. As far as a 2-stroke being more tiring, that is VERY true. I rode a R on the track once and man, one lap on that R felt about like 4 laps on my Dale. You'll be in good shape if you can race those 2-strokes for a long time.... I've had to many Pepsi's in my 17 years, so I'll stick to 4-strokes. ;) :D

stocktires
09-05-2002, 10:35 PM
thanx mxdale,
Thats my main point too. Everyone here posts all to like Bean has all the money in the world and If he got a dale It would have everything on it, When in fact His R already has ALOT of stuff already on it and paid for.
2-Strokes will wear you out. I went for about 25-30 laps straight on a dirt bike track on day and could barely get out of bed the next day (no seriously! lol) and I drank 3 bottles of water and a bottle of choclate milk after that ride (I forgot to bring something to drink, I need a camelback).
But anyway, I think the quad that you feel most confident in will make you faster. I love my R and feel really comfortable on it and I believe thats why Im faster on it, than any other thumper out there.
Picking the right quad is all a personal decision, pick what you want, And remember, this thread is only advice, not a poll telling you which to buy or keep.

09-05-2002, 11:05 PM
I would say if your "R" is paid for and you like it don't get rid of it. Quads and aftermarket stuff is too expensive. No need to go in debt any more than you have to. I will tell you one thing that I have figured out. Whatever you happen to ride. Don't skimp on the suspension. My Moto was the first quad I have ever owned with good suspension, and I can tell you that it is the single most important thing to have on an MX quad. I understand why premium shocks are so expensive now. They really do make a huge difference. Good luck on whatever you do. I just thought I would throw that out there......

stocktires
09-05-2002, 11:09 PM
Isnt it kinda weird, once you get a nice suspension set-up, ur spoiled forever! lol

09-05-2002, 11:30 PM
I put thousands in my last quad, and left the stock shocks and A-arms. I know I would do it different if I had it to do over. I would have went with arms and shocks first. It is truly amazing the difference shocks make. I hate to keep harping, but Cannondale really does put nice shocks on thier machines. Even the lower priced ones. Saves people some money in the long run if they want to set up for Mx......

Bean
09-06-2002, 05:19 PM
man, i jus got my works tuned in, (not enough rebound), and i like em, from stompin on the bumper they feel good, i wish i had alot of money, lol, but i dont, and i am in debt to my pappy anyway, so sellin mine for a pretty much stock dale jus dont sound like a good idea from my point of view

toby400ex
09-08-2002, 04:45 PM
how cheap you talkin.

Sparky416ex
09-14-2002, 10:51 PM
I would keep the R