PDA

View Full Version : R6 motor in a yfz??

beastlyone
09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Alright guys, my friend recently cooked the motor in his 2005 yfz, it was running to lean nd the wrist clip failed nd just put a rob through the block, the whole nine yards. He was toying with the idea of putting a 2005 yamaha R6 motor into his yfz. He has no computer so Im taking up on posting this for him. Has this ever been done? Does anyone think its worth it? And how difficult and how many man hours do you think would be involved? And would the engine fit in the frame without cutting the frame? thanks guys

450RGNCC
09-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a feeling that the R6 engine is a lot taller than the yfz engine, so the frame would probably have to be cut on the top rail and extended upward, which you would then run into problems with your gas tank. It would take a lot of time and patience, and some engineering skills, but if he could pull it off, it would be a sweet ride.

P.S.- Did you leave a post a while back that you wanted to possibly come ride w/ me in York, PA? I sent you a PM but you never replied.

beastlyone
09-02-2006, 03:38 PM
do you think there would be alot of vibration from it not being balanced right? and as far as a pipe goes, would a custom one need to be made?

450RGNCC
09-02-2006, 05:52 PM
hmm, i did not think about that, but if the engine mounts are not placed properly, the vibration could be a problem, and most likely a custom pipe would need to be made, or the old one might be able to be modified to work

CHEVYZ
09-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Don't even bother with putting a streetbike engine in a quad. It is a totally lame idea considering the bike will be nothing except topend. In any typical drag race a built quad engine will walk away from it.... not to mention it will become a money pit through everything it is gonna take to stay together.

beastlyone
09-02-2006, 07:30 PM
does anyone know of a place that buildes custom pipes? im almost half contimplating selling him my yfz motor and buying an r6 motor myself now haha

Quadrider63
09-03-2006, 07:40 PM
CHEVYZ its all in gearing my friend with the right gearing that engine would prob top out at like 70 or 80 but get up there like a bat out of hell:devil: :D
and theres no way a quad engine (1 cylinder 450) can out run a street bike motor (4 cylinder 600)

pimpinyfz450
09-04-2006, 09:14 AM
very true man if you put a r6 motor in that thing WOW that would be sick as hell man ......send me pix when you get it done dude that is sum serious **** right there ............GO FOR IT

CHEVYZ
09-04-2006, 10:20 AM
No, I have seen it all. From 600s to 1200s, I have seen it. Just a little while back at State Capital Raceway around here there was a guy with a built ZX-12 engine on a quad getting burned by other big bore quads. I see them all the time at the big events. At the Last Clash of the Titans there was a quad with a 1000 engine on it fully modded out getting waxed by big bore DS's and Banshees. Now, you also have to consider that with that kind of engine you are no longer dealing with 450 competition. I would be willing to bet that a fully built 450 engine could take a streetbike (Engine) powered quad, but that is no longer your competition in the first place. You are now in a new class and are running with built DS's, Banshees, Raptors, etc. Now, yeah, in a 1/8th mile drag, it would do well. I do not know how things are set-up elsewhere, but around here it is 300ft. drags.... too short for the full potential of a streetbike engine to be released.

ChrisSekerak
09-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Don't even bother with putting a streetbike engine in a quad. It is a totally lame idea considering the bike will be nothing except topend. In any typical drag race a built quad engine will walk away from it.... not to mention it will become a money pit through everything it is gonna take to stay together.

R u kidding me?? Well whoever is riding the quad with the streetbike motor in it and still getting beat by a built quad is a jackass. A streetbike motor will rev so much faster than a quad motor would ever do.

Yes I have seen one turbo Raptor 690 ALMOST keeping up with a GSX-R 750 DS framed quad, but how reliable is a turbo??? And they are not cheap!!

I can definately see a Trex 10mil Banshee keeping up with a stock 600 motor, but something 1000 and up, NO WAY!!!

ChrisSekerak
09-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ

R u kidding me?? Well whoever is riding the quad with the streetbike motor in it and still getting beat by a built quad is a jackass. A streetbike motor will rev so much faster than a quad motor would ever do.

Yes I have seen one turbo Raptor 690 ALMOST keeping up with a GSX-R 750 DS framed quad, but how reliable is a turbo??? And they are not cheap!!

I can definately see a Trex 10mil Banshee keeping up with a stock 600 motor, but something 1000 and up, NO WAY!!!

CHEVYZ
09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Choose to believe me or not... I do not care. I am giving information based on what I have seen throughout the years at more than a few drag racing events, not just after seeing one or two bikes. I will be sure to get pictures and video next time I make it out to an event to show the disbelievers exactly what I am talking about.

Flodies400ex
09-11-2006, 09:28 AM
that would be awsome dude so i would do it if I had time to do it and money

440ex dragger
09-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ChrisSekerak

You would be surprised.

ChrisSekerak
09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
be suprised about what?

i've seen in person a DS frame with 05' gsx-r 750 motor racing a Raptor 690 with a turbo.

that raptor was fast as hell, too bad the gsx-r motor (no turbo or nos) would pull him every time. I hate to say it, There is not a fourwheeler I've seen that was even close to as fast as that turbo'd raptor. they dragged about 5 or 6 times, the turbo'd raptor was definatly keeping up, but just not as fast.

That raptor was pulling 421 cubs all day.

i'm not saying it doesn't happen, i'm saying it's a rare case.

440ex dragger
09-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Well at our local drags here in Central Arkansas, there is a guy that has a busa motor in a 400ex chassis. Now he runs quick no doubt, and yes with a few changes it would be blistering fast but, there is a YFZ 450 with a bigbore, and other mods. But they run close to each other in 300ft. right at 4.8,4.9.....but there are stock jug banshees that are way out infront of it.

Then there is a guy with a 600cc streetbike engine that runs 6's so I guess as big as your pockets are. Gonna be a lot of work and a lot of money though.....and you could build a YFZ motor that would smoke almost any streetbike/ATV combo.

ChrisSekerak
09-12-2006, 06:57 AM
that's very true. it's all how deep your pockets are. I know that I have never seen a big bore yfz450 come close to being as fast as the turbo raptor that i saw run up at silver lake. there was not a standard atv motor'd quad up there that was even close, but i believe that the drag strip is a lot longer than 300 ft.

Toadz400
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Okay, let's put it this way. If traction was not an issue...there is no way any ATV engine could keep up with a modified streetbike engine.

440ex dragger
09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Okay, let's put it this way. If traction was not an issue...there is no way any ATV engine could keep up with a modified streetbike engine.

Okay well its gonna have traction issues. Unless your running it on asphalt with tracbite, and some MT drag tires.......which last I checked they dont make for 10" wheels lol.

Toadz400
09-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 440ex dragger
Well at our local drags here in Central Arkansas, there is a guy that has a busa motor in a 400ex chassis. Now he runs quick no doubt, and yes with a few changes it would be blistering fast but

What are the few changes that he could make? Is he not running the right swingarm length, gearing, or tires? Sounds like he's not set up right.

suck my pipe
09-15-2006, 11:33 PM
my gsxr 750 makes somewhere around 130hp and revs high and fast. but the power dosent realy open up untill you get to 6000 rpm's it shoots like a powerband or an extreme v-tech.
But any way I can do like 90 sumthin in first gear. You better have a sick quad to even come close.

" I understand the bike motor is now in a quad frame and is running different gearing and much smaller tires."

And for turbo'd Rapturd, turbo the bike engine, for a 600 your prob looking at 250-300hp. I know a turbo'd busa makes 500hp, thanks too http://www.streetfire.net/default.aspx There are a few quad bike motor converion videos on there also.

440ex dragger
09-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Well his swingarm could be longer seeing as how he is using a stock length 400ex swingarm...with one hell of a wheelie bar. I forget what he uses for tires, stock suspension. But the bike motor is bone stock from what I understand.

When he hits second the bike damn near bounces off the ground....the power is there for sure. But it just wont get there with the suspension set up.

goth22
09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
my friend put a Yam R1 engine in a Yam Blaster. it was fast as fook and didnt take too much frame modifying. he moved the fuel tank to underneath the seat.

troutman561
09-18-2006, 09:46 PM
^^^ sounds safe...

ChrisSekerak
09-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
my gsxr 750 makes somewhere around 130hp and revs high and fast. but the power dosent realy open up untill you get to 6000 rpm's it shoots like a powerband or an extreme v-tech.
But any way I can do like 90 sumthin in first gear. You better have a sick quad to even come close.

" I understand the bike motor is now in a quad frame and is running different gearing and much smaller tires."

And for turbo'd Rapturd, turbo the bike engine, for a 600 your prob looking at 250-300hp. I know a turbo'd busa makes 500hp, thanks too http://www.streetfire.net/default.aspx There are a few quad bike motor converion videos on there also.

Well I was just saying what I saw when the 2 guys dragged down the strip. I know dam well that a gsxr motor puts out more HP than a quad motor. Too bad the turbo raptor was fast as **** too.

To get a 600 with a turbo to 300hp is a waste of money in my opinion. Most average turbo's on a reliable boost setting for a hayabusa 1300 are around 250-300 or so. 500 is an extreme case.

Trx4Life
09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I can tell you for sure that I have seen a 300ex with a cbr 600 engine in it. Get his @$$ handed to him, by lightley modded quads. In a long assfult drag I would deffitnely give the advantage to the street bike motor. But in a short sand drag they just seem to be at a diss advantage. On the other hand big 2 stroke snow mobile motors seem to do really well.

440ex dragger
09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
The Triples do perform very well. I have been to Mississippi, Oklahoma, Little Sahara, and have heard of them running in the mid 3's in 300ft