PDA

View Full Version : battery losing charge

shook
08-28-2002, 06:06 PM
I have 400ex and the battery kept going dead, so I bought a brand new one and rode the bike twice and now its dead. Any suggestions and does any one know how to check the charging system on the 400ex. All help is much appreciated I thought the first battery was just old being that it was the original but now Im not so sure. HELP!!!

Pappy
08-28-2002, 06:28 PM
you need a multimeter. check the battery voltage at the battery with the engine off. it should give a reading between 12.45 and 12.70

start the quad and while its running.. turn on the high beam headlight and recheck the battery voltage...it should read 15.5 volts at 5000 rpm.

this will let you know if the charging system is working..if not ..email me or post the results and i will try to help some more

shook
08-28-2002, 08:16 PM
bump HELP

Pappy
08-28-2002, 08:40 PM
hey shook...i sell over 60,000 batteries a year....i am a trained starting and electrical diagnostician....what else do you need help with.

kuz400ex
08-29-2002, 02:03 AM
Hay 400ex127 I got a electrical question for you. My brother owns a Warrior and we are not getting any spark. He replaced a part in the stator area still not working. The battery is fine. I check all the wires for loose connections or cuts in them, every thing is OK. In the past we had problems with the on off button. I haven't tried to over ride the swith since we killed the battery. Any suggestions on what else to look for. Need all the help I can thanks.

Pappy
08-29-2002, 03:21 AM
its quote possible you have a bad ground. get a multimeter and start checkin . i know the manuals are a b!tch to read but they will walk you step by step. also...recheck that switch....if moisture got in the housing it wouldnt take long to hurt a connection again.

get some numbers and pm me..hope i can help ya.

ps....does the run/off button have play in it? or can ya push it a lil farther then you used too?