PDA

View Full Version : Gun

Scott-300ex
09-01-2006, 10:30 AM
So, I plan on buying an AR-15

Just like an M-16/M-4 but is only semi-automatic. No 3 round spurts or fully auto option. Although I gaurentee you there is a way to make it fully auto, but thats illegal.

They shoot 5.56mm rounds. Is that bigger or smaller than a .22?

Is there something better than an AR-15? Any one have any? Pros and Cons?

$1100, I can prolly bring the price down though.

I held it and it is the most bad@ss gun I've ever held, pretty heavy so you can keep it steady for aiming. It's pretty sweet.

Any info I would like on good or bad parts of it, if there's things I should be aware of if its ganna break or anything, you know wut I'm sayin?

red2004 TRX450R
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
the AR-15 is a civilian M16.
all the ones I have shot were .223
there are different makers of the ar-15 and different grades of them so I cant give you much of a hint if that one is a good one or not. Most likely it is.
They are a blast to shoot, just get your self a shell catcher and a progressive reloader.

the new Bushmasters are popular better yet an old COLT (pre 80's).

you can not have a 3 round or full auto with out a license, legally.
its not hard to change them over but it is a felony and you will go to prison for a long time ever if your gun is not full auto but you have the parts to make it so..

red2004 TRX450R
09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I looked it up the NATO 5.56mm is a .223
it is bigger than a .22LR by far.
the bullet is a little bigger around and a lot longer. and the shell is a lot bigger.
it dont have much kick coming out of a ar15.
the army used it for killing people but most use it for varmint hunting

Scott-300ex
09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the conversion.

I thought they were all the same brand but wut should I find out to see if it is a good one? My dad doesn't think they still make them, do they or did they stop in the 80's or 90's?

I'm goin to my dads friends who collects guns and has a federal firearms license and stuff, he's REALLY into them, so I'm ganna ask him. And I'm ganna stop by my friends house and talk to his dad cuz he sells guns, see wut he has to say about them.

Thanks guys and keep 'em comin!

cletusEX
09-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Like what was stated above, there are a lot of companies out there that make Ar-15s, Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, etc. And yes they still are produced. As too which one is better that depends on who you talk to you (kinda like Ford vs Chevy). The most popular caliber is 5.56mm (.223 in civilian terms) which is 22 caliber, same bullet diameter as a 22 LR just a heavier bullet and bigger case. I have seem custom AR-15 variations in many different calibers. There are also a ton of different model AR-15s. There are varmint editions with 24" bull barrels to CAR-15s with 16" barrels and collapsibly stocks. I have owned and shot quite a few and all shot well.

Pappy
09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R

the new Bushmasters are popular better yet an old COLT (pre 80's).

Pre 80's Colts are no better then what is produced today by any of the large manufactures (Colt, Bushmaster etc) Older AR-15's suffered from inferioir metals and machining processes that are not found in todays firearms. Barrel quality is much higher, and machining tolarences are much closer.

The onlt real benefit to an older model is the riflings as they are designed for 55 grain bullets. The majority of todays AR's feature twists that are optimized for 69 grain bullets.

Most any AR off the shelf is cabable of M.O.A. and I own several that shoot sub M.O.A. with my handloads.

Scott-300ex
09-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Is the barrell rifled?

How far can they shoot? As in I heard they were meant for long distance. They say a .22 can shoot a mile, which prolly at a 45 degree angle:rolleyes:, but will an AR out shoot that?

And did they us AR-15's in the military too?

Pappy
09-01-2006, 01:25 PM
An AR-15 is the civilian model designation for the M-16

Yes, they have rifled barrels. The riflings are what stabilizes the bullet as it travels down the barrel. Different "twists" work best within certain bullet weights.

A .223 has a range of 5 miles when fired in the air, but will only shoot 700 yards on a level hold before gravity takes the round to the dirt(I could be off on the 700 yards, it has been awhile since I worried about this stuff)

.223's are used in long range shooting but are usually reserved for shots under 600 yards. Wind drift affects the round more then its lack of power. Out past 600 yards, the .308 is the round of choice.

I have taken targets at 800 yards with my 26 inch bull barreled AR, qualified at 600 yards with a standard issue M-16 A2 and have confirmed kills at 1000 and 1200 yards with a M-40A1.

I plan on building a new long range rifle based on a 300 Ultra Mag this fall. I have a Remington 300 UM Sendaro to work with, and it shoots well with handloads. After I finish it I expect it to preform at 1000 yards as well as most bench rifles do at 100.:D

GPracer2500
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Usually a minor point, but 5.56x45 is technically not exactly the same as .223. The case and chamber dimensions are slightly different. 5.56 is typically loaded to higher pressures as well. It's safe to shoot .223 out of a 5.56 chambered rifle but the reverse is often not the case. For general recreational shooting I'd recommend making sure that you get a rifle with a 5.56 chamber--not .223. .223 chambered rifles offer a tiny accuracy advantage but only an expert marksmen will realize that difference. And unless your sure you've got mildly loaded 5.56, you don't want to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 chamber.

RockRiver actually uses an "in-between" sized chamber they call Wylde. Among all the AR manufactures I believe RR is the only one that uses that chamber.

RockRiver and Bushmaster both make excellent rifles. So does Colt although Colts tend to be more expensive.

The only real reason I'm aware of for buying an older AR is if you live in a state that has it's own Assault Wepons Ban. The Federal AWB expired in 2004 but some states enacted their own state-level versions. During the Federal ban there were "pre-ban" rifles and "post-ban" rifles. ARs were never banned outright but certain features (collapsable stocks, boynet lugs, and flash suppressors) could not be included on "post-ban" rifles manufactured during the ban. After the ban expired in 04' the distinction between post-ban and pre-ban went away--unless you live in a state that has it's own seperate AWB.

It gets complicated. AR15.com is THE online community for AR-15s if you want to learn more. But be careful, you might catch BRD.... ;)

Guy400
09-01-2006, 02:35 PM
:muscle:

cletusEX
09-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Usually a minor point, but 5.56x45 is technically not exactly the same as .223. The case and chamber dimensions are slightly different. 5.56 is typically loaded to higher pressures as well. It's safe to shoot .223 out of a 5.56 chambered rifle but the reverse is often not the case. For general recreational shooting I'd recommend making sure that you get a rifle with a 5.56 chamber--not .223. .223 chambered rifles offer a tiny accuracy advantage but only an expert marksmen will realize that difference. And unless your sure you've got mildly loaded 5.56, you don't want to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 chamber.

It gets complicated. AR15.com is THE online community for AR-15s if you want to learn more. But be careful, you might catch BRD.... ;)

Good info. I didn't know that about the chamber/case difference. I agree about AR15.com, lots of good information. I have always dealt with semi-longe range hunting rifles, but after getting my first AR a few years ago I can see the black rifle disease developing. :) My current AR is nothing special, just a RRA/Bushmaster hybrid my brother and I put together. Nothing fancy just a coyote gun. I had a cheaper low power Leupold but am in the process of something else.

Plante400
09-01-2006, 05:37 PM
5.56 is the same round as the .223, its just metric.

ive had both AK's and AR's, the ar is a nice gun, very accurate, but the bullet is light and the wind will affect it alot in Long range shots.

AK's are fun, very fun, especially if u have a ugh quality one. arsenal makes Very nice guns and are also available in 223.

AR is a nice gun.. sounds like u know nothing about them tho, so youll have to learn, because they require maintenance every so often. unlike AK's, they dont need to worry about cleaning them too often.

GPracer2500
09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Plante400
5.56 is the same round as the .223, its just metric....

Kind of, but not really. The key difference is in how a rifle is chambered but max loading pressures shouldn't be overlooked either.

5.56 chambers are different from .223. They're close enought that .223 is ok to fire in a 5.56 chamber but not the other way around. SAAMI specifically warns about using 5.56 in a .223 chamber. If you fire 5.56 NATO mil-spec (commonly found as US-suplus) in a .223 rifle there is a risk of a catostrophic failure.

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/images/556cham.gif

Same goes with 7.62x51 and .308. They're commonly considered to be the same but they are not. It's a tiny difference but they can't always be used interchangably.

09-01-2006, 07:55 PM
The most you should pay for a stock AR15 is $750. Check out AR15.com, under Equipment Exchange.

Or check out used stuff in a gun shop.

The cool part about the AR is the versatility.

You can also shooot 9mm, .40S&W, .45 and 22 rimfire with different uppers.

There is no end of accessories and upgrades for it.

Manufacturers to look at - Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Armalite.

New Colts have had QC problems. Olympic Arms is hit and miss.

FMF450R
09-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Forget the 5.56 or the .223, just go with a 6.8 cal upper. :D
or you can do 6.5 Grendal.
biggest complaint about the 6.8 is the price of the ammo. .

If you have parts of an m16 in your ar15, u go away for 10yrs on felony firearm charges. Unless you have a class 3 license, DONT f**k with it. (the only shooting being done there will be bubba & ur *****)

Scott-300ex
09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeh, I'm trying to learn all I can.

I went to my dads friends house, he has 178 guns and is a collector and is like a gun dictionary. He helped me out with it and gave me some books, cuz he has a library of books about guns, ammo, ect...

I went to my friends dads house cuz he sells guns.

AR-15:.223-$815
AR-10:.308/30cal-$1500

I was ganna go for the 30 cal cuz it would deffinetly take down a coyote and shoot faster and further, which I don't think it will shoot faster, but thats a lot of money, and everyone told me a .223 will take down anything I need it too.

So will a .223 take down a coyote in a shoulder shot?

And a .223 I would have part of a squirrel or rabbit or wutever left and not blown into 50 pieces. Not that this will be my main hunting gun but I will use it as much as I can.

09-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

So will a .223 take down a coyote in a shoulder shot?

. [/B]

If you hit bone, yes.

If you don't, there's no guarantee of anything.

In Iraq and Afghanistan they report having t shoot the Tangoes up to 4 or 5 times before they go down.

Scott-300ex
09-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Sweet so I plan on getting the 5.56 for sure.

AR-15, long barrel, 30 round banana clip, and a sling. Or make a sling, a bayonette would be sweet to have but I'd never use it.

Anyone know the FPS?

And yeh, a FMJ I'll only use if I WANT to shoot threw something, a hollow point will do some damage!

GPracer2500
09-05-2006, 06:23 PM
The 5.56's primary wounding mechanism is fragmentation. The 5.56 was never intended to be configured as a soft-point or hollowpoint. When a 5.56 FMJ bullet hits a target at speeds above ~2700fps it yaws inside the target and breaks up into many pieces. Between 2500 and 2700 fps the bullet may or may not fragment. Below 2500fps it's not likely to fragment hardly at all. Fragmentation is how the 5.56 bullet kills.

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/images/wund5.jpg

(I believe) many of the complains about the effectivess of the 5.56 round in combat are because of the shorter and shorter barrels used by some forces. The shorter the barrel gets the lower the velocity of the round and the shorter the effective frag range of the bullet. The M4 has a 14.5" barrel which hinders the effectiveness of the round compared to the 20" barreled M16's of yesteryear.

I've got an AR15 with a 7.5" barrel. With that short of a barrel a 5.56 bullet of any weight will never reach fragmentation velocity. For that reason it's a completely impractical weapon (in terms of lethality). But I didn't build it to be lethal--it's just a range toy for me. Without fragmentation the 5.56/.223 is little more than a high-powered .22.

Some of the best 5.56 rounds available (Black Hills 68gr. HMHP comes to mind) are technically HP but it has more to do with building the most accurate bullet possible then any extra wounding caused by an expanding HP. Fragmentation is still the primary wounding mechanism.

ak_stick
09-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by garandman
If you hit bone, yes.

If you don't, there's no guarantee of anything.

In Iraq and Afghanistan they report having t shoot the Tangoes up to 4 or 5 times before they go down.

Thats not realy all that true.

At muzzle to 250-300m the M-4 with its 14.5in barrel is a great performer, the problem your hearing of, is guys using the M-4 to shoot 4-500m in A-stan, after wich yes, it does lack some terminal performance.

From a 20in M-16 barrel, at 300-450m you will still put a guy down with one or two well placed rounds.

Now, the M-855 Green Tip 69 grn Ball ammo is good at poking holes in body armor and everything, but it sucks at shooting un-armored people at long range, wich is why the army is issuing the old M-193 Ball ammo, wich tumbles alot more than 855, and has now authorized the first hollowpoint round, the Sierra Matchking, in a special 77 grn Mod 262 Long Range ammo, to combat the lack of effectiveness at range.

In short, dont use a SBR length M4 upper (not the standard 16in you buy at the store) with 855 ball ammo past 250m. If you need to shoot that far, use a 20 in upper with either XM-193 ball, MOD 262, or whatever other factory load not using ball ammo.

09-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by jrm03
another bit of useless knowledge about the 5.56. The bullet has a tendency to tumble which in turn creates more damage. Some of the entrance and exit wounds I've seen make you wonder if there were two bullets, however just from the fragmentation and the tumbling of the bullet causes impressive damage from a small bullet

Myth from the anti gunners.

The 5.56 round is fairly stable, and only tumbles when it strikes something that knocks it out of rotation.

A tumbling round is ALWAYS a bad thing.

09-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by ak_stick
Thats not realy all that true.

At muzzle to 250-300m the M-4 with its 14.5in barrel is a great performer, the problem your hearing of, is guys using the M-4 to shoot 4-500m in A-stan, after wich yes, it does lack some terminal performance.

Actually, that's not what I'm hearing of.

Begging the question, "How would you know what I'm hearing of?"

:devil:

The heavier grain weights work better at all distances.

The 55 gr and 62 grain tend to be marginal performers at all ranges - but especially long range.

The soldiers reported teh same problems in Mogadishu - which was a strictly CQB scenario. There the enemy was all hopped up on khat.

ak_stick
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
actualy your wrong.

the primary wounding device of the 5.56 IS tumbling, and XM-193 will upset after 5-6 inches in flesh, resulting in it doing all sorts of nasty things like comming out a guys shoulder when it went in the stomache. The center of gravity for the round has been shifted aft, to cause the bullet to upsest when it enters a soft tissue media like flesh.

and both the 62 grain and the 55 grain are decent performers, as long as your at close range, where the muzzel velocity is still smoking fast. Personaly, when given the chance I loaded my mags with XM-193, and the MOD 262 round because shooting through body armor (the primary design of the 855 ball) is waaaay low on my list of things I need my ammo to do.

09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
actualy your wrong.

the primary wounding device of the 5.56 IS tumbling,

It tumbles inside the wound cavity, but not in flight unless it strikes an object.

I'm refuting the notion that 5.56 is designed to tumble in flight, prior to hitting any object.

ak_stick
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
oh, ok, I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Scott-300ex
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok, I heard 62 grain was better than 55, but its harder to find, all these MOD 262 and all that I've never heard of.

So wut should I use for target, and coyote to squirell?

Will the all tumble or just certian grains?

And fps depends on each bullet, correct?

I plan on ordering it tonite.

Thanks for all your help, but let the discussion continue.

Scott-300ex
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeh, I've read a lot of Navy SEALS books and Military books and stuff so I've learnt a lot about the SEALS and all that stuff.

And I was wondering if you guys think I should put an M-203 on it. Mount it on the bottom of my barrel.:D

And get it to shoot out fletchettes too.

Haha.

An M-203 is a Grenade Launcher, and fletchettes are like shooting out 100 nails at one time, for CQB.

ak_stick
09-07-2006, 03:45 PM
if you just punching paper, the 55 grain works realy well.

You wont find Mod 262 LR ammo in the states, right now its all going overseas. You can find the same bullet and load made by a company called black hills, its great paper round but not so good for hunting.

if you plan on shooting any game, I'd say get a soft point, hollow point or ballistic tip round, anything but FMJ, that realy sucks for killin animals.

Pappy
09-07-2006, 04:19 PM

The soldiers reported teh same problems in Mogadishu - which was a strictly CQB scenario. There the enemy was all hopped up on khat.

funny, no matter how much crap they had in thier system they went down fast with head shots:cool:

Scott-300ex
09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I called the guy to go over to his house and order it last night and he's like "I can't do it now, come over tomorrow at 5."

So I'm ganna order it tomorrow at 5.

Wouldn't a spire point be good to hunt with too?

I told my friend wut Pappy said about 5 miles and 700 yard till the bullet drops. Some dumb@ss kid that was with us last night said that his brothers gun, you shoot it then the bullet goes up and it carries like that for miles. Tryin to brag about his brothers gun. I'm like, wutever dude, cuz thats impossible! It shoots so fast it goes up, Ha, right, wutever:rolleyes:

Scott-300ex
09-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Ordered it.

AR-15 Bushmaster
-1 full rotation for every 24 inches(all I could get)
-20 inch barrel
-Carry handle
-Sling
-Ghost hole site

AtvMxRider
09-08-2006, 07:37 PM
You guys planning a war or something:ermm: :confused:

armoks
09-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Nice choice, I carry a Rock river LAR-15 with M4 barrel and stock at work, nice weapon. THe only drawback we found at work is getting it wet but you're gun will be better taken care of then the ones we carry at work (we have to use out of a stpockpile and you never know how the person the day before put the gun away sad bu true)

Now we used to carry the H&K G36 but they wanted an "american" version. IMO the G36 was a much better weapon. But you can't get true 36's in the US :grr:

For my own plinker I hav an Egyptian AK, I absolutely love that gun, it shots nice great knockdown power and you never realy have to clean it just wipe it down every now and then.

But remeber to check you're local hunting laws on what weapons can be used to hunt what in a lot of states you cannot use a semi auto rifle to hunt the larger game out there.

heres me at work :blah:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/armoks/305888385_l.jpg

ak_stick
09-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Ordered it.

AR-15 Bushmaster
-20 inch barrel
-Carry handle
-Sling
-Ghost hole site

ghost hole sight?

what the hell is that or do you mean the normal peep sight aperature that comes on it?

GPracer2500
09-09-2006, 11:06 AM

That can't be right. Most Bushmaster barrels have a 1:9 twist (one rotation in 9 inches). All the twists I've ever seen in any AR are between 1:7 and 1:14.

Scott-300ex
09-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Ghost hole. You look threw a hole then a solid dot is up front.

G3 is 7.62, LoL, goin from a 30 cal to a 5.56

And thats wut he told me about the barrel, he prolly don't know wut he's talking about, but you can't change his mind so I kept my mouth shut.

ak_stick
09-10-2006, 02:23 PM
thats not a ghost hole, its called a peep sight

Scott-300ex
09-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Its a ghost hole site.

ak_stick
09-10-2006, 02:53 PM
there is no such thing as a "ghost hole" sight. There are "ghost ring" sights, but unless you specialy ordered a sight system, the one on the AR family is a peep sight, backed with a large aperature peep for low light.

swampfoxsc
09-10-2006, 05:06 PM
It's just a little confusion on terminology. I'm sure he means the standard sights.

Be careful, you're gonna get addicted. Next thing you know your closet will be full of magazines and full ammo cans! Magazine is the correct term, not "banana clip"!

Then comes the NFA registered short barrels and suppressors and then full auto!:huh

Scott-300ex
09-10-2006, 05:09 PM
No, a hole you look thre at the stock, then a dot at the tip of the barrell. I mean, damn, don't you people listen.

And banana clip is a fast way to say it.

And fully auto's are illegal, try and find one you can buy, good luck.

09-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
You guys planning a war or something:ermm: :confused:

If you desire peace, prepare for war.

09-10-2006, 05:55 PM

No, they are not.

The require ATF approval, and are quite legal.

Scott-300ex
09-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeh tell me how to get my C License or wutever it is.

ak_stick
09-10-2006, 06:31 PM
No, a hole you look thre at the stock, then a dot at the tip of the barrell. I mean, damn, don't you people listen.

And banana clip is a fast way to say it.

its not that we're not listening, its that you dont know what your talking about.

There is a big difference between a peep sight and a ghost ring sight, and I was trying to teach you the specifics of the weapon you've ordered. I.E. you do not infact have ghost hole sights, and refering to them as such makes you sound silly, and ill informed.

you dont need a class III liscense, you only need to apply for a NFA weapon on a form 2 I think, SBR's are form 1, silencers are form 3, I'm not sure if NFA is 2 or SBS is 4 or if I have that backwards. Its fairly easy, just takes some time. Liscenses are only for people who wish to become dealers. All you'd need is the $200 one time tax stamp.

swampfoxsc
09-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Saying "banana clip" is like people calling your quad a three wheeler or scooter. It's wrong on every level! Besides, banana clip is two words vs just saying magazine. Learn it, live it, you'll be heckled mercilessly if you ever get on a gun site and get it wrong. Once you get your AR, you will get addicted and it's all down hill from there. Just wait and see.

Instead of spouting off about what you think you know, take our advice and learn. Just like ak_stick said, you can own full auto machine guns. You can even own six-barrelled mini guns if you want. The biggest setback is the cost. An m-16 runs around $12,000 and a minigun is near half a million. You can get a belt fed M-60 "the gun of Rambo" for $30,000+. The vast majority of the public has no idea what is available to the public.

MOFO
09-10-2006, 08:28 PM
No, a hole you look thre at the stock,

Knock off the name calling Scott! These people are only trying to help you! :rolleyes: :grr:

Tommy 17
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
whats the name of the shoot in kentucky where you can go and shoot anything you want... people bring everything from electronic mini guns to houzers to full autos... ahhh i wish i could think of the name!!!!

and i know for a fact you can own a full auto... theres a few in my family:p

GPracer2500
09-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
whats the name of the shoot in kentucky where you can go and shoot anything you want... people bring everything from electronic mini guns to houzers to full autos... ahhh i wish i could think of the name!!!!

and i know for a fact you can own a full auto... theres a few in my family:p

I wanna say Knob Creek or something like that....never been but I've seen videos....

ak_stick
09-10-2006, 09:05 PM
thats it, knob creek machine gun shoot.

one of these years I'll get down there

09-11-2006, 09:30 AM
thats it, knob creek machine gun shoot.

one of these years I'll get down there

Mail Call on the History Channel has a half hour program on Knob Creek.

It is simply beyond description. Even by video.

The Knob Creek shoots are April and October.

I think I may go this October.

Stevie-D
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
all of this talk about guns makes me want to go pull the AK out of my truck and pop off a few rounds. (before i get yelled at, YES, there is a loaded AK-47 in my truck. NO..the truck is not insured or driven off my property...waiting to get my motor finished up)

ive had the gun for almost a year now, and i'm just starting to find bullets for it. nearly all of the 7.62x39 ammo manufactured was sent overseas:mad:

sure goes through the ammo though. i forget what the hell it its called..but it is basically a clamp that attaches two magazines together. so 2 30 round magazines go pretty quick:devil: lol

09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
[
sure goes through the ammo though.

Three words...

"Buy in bulk."

:)

swampfoxsc
09-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I got the BRD and got my ammo before the prices went through the roof. Magazine prices are still low. Buy all you can right now. If the libertards get back in office, there's no telling what they'll do.:mad:

I plan to load up on stripped receivers and 30rd magazines. I won't be caught off guard this time!:macho

Scott-300ex
09-12-2006, 02:32 PM
The AR I held at my gun shop in town had a ghost ring site.

I don't know if its a class 3, but I just said that cuz its around that or wutever.

12g's for an m-16:huh

My buddies got mini 14's and didn't spend half a million.

And yes you can get fully autos, my friends grandma's nieghbor shoots his fully automatics a lot, but if he gets caught and doesn't have a license, then he is f-ed up.

ak_stick
09-12-2006, 02:43 PM

I don't know if its a class 3, but I just said that cuz its around that or wutever.

And yes you can get fully autos, my friends grandma's nieghbor shoots his fully automatics a lot, but if he gets caught and doesn't have a license, then he is f-ed up.

No, its not a ghost ring sight, I know it looks like the ghost ring you seen on shotguns, and advertised, but its actualy a peep sight.

The difference is in the diameter of the aperature of the rear sight. All ghost rings are peeps sights, but not vice versa, a ghost ring sight, has a large aperature opening, at the back, and a small front sight, where as the peep sights have a small aperature opening at the back, the AR-15 also has a second, larger aperature used for night firing, but its pretty much useless, as its not large enough to be an effective ghost ring, but large enough its not as accurate as the smaller.

And he was talking mini guns, like the GAU-24 7.62x51mm 6 barrel fired from aircraft in black hawk down, not Ruger's Mini-14

GPracer2500
09-12-2006, 02:51 PM

A mini-14 is a far cry from a mini-gun. Two completely different animals.

This is a mini-gun:
http://www.montysminiguns.com/kcrfall2002a94.jpg

Not sure what to make of your "...And yes you can get fully autos..." comment. Of course it's possible to obtain or make an illegal weapon. But there are also LEGAL ways to own fully automatic weapons. The laws are somewhat confusing and misunderstood by many, but there are legal avenues to ownership of fully automatic weapons.

FAQ on NFA weapons (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt)

Scott-300ex
09-13-2006, 01:08 PM
I trust ak_stick, wutever he says. He's been good to me, and he's in the military so he's cool.

LoL

But he's in the military so he knows his stuff.

Scott-300ex
09-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, I got it, everything I wanted on it.

Went to get ammo for it $6 for 45 gr. $16 for 55 gr. I'm ganna buy in bulk though, LoL.

I want to go shoot it but its raining like a b!tch outside.

I show it to my dad and my moms like, "Scott, you could kill someone like that." She thinks its only to kill people like in the military and stuff. I'm like, "I could kill someone with a fork and you have 200 of them."

My dad liked it, thought it was real heavy, I told him that it makes me hold it more still.

I'm talking to my friend and he goes, wut you ganna hunt with it, I say, squirell, coyote,........ he goes "People" I'm like wut hes like you know your ganna kill someone soon. I'm like wutever. He thinks I'm ganna kill people cuz I carry knifes and now bought this. Wutever. LoL, I'm not ganna kill someone unless they are trying to kill me, for the record.

I'll get some pictures up later.

ELewandowski
09-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
all of this talk about guns makes me want to go pull the AK out of my truck and pop off a few rounds. (before i get yelled at, YES, there is a loaded AK-47 in my truck. NO..the truck is not insured or driven off my property...waiting to get my motor finished up)

ive had the gun for almost a year now, and i'm just starting to find bullets for it. nearly all of the 7.62x39 ammo manufactured was sent overseas:mad:

sure goes through the ammo though. i forget what the hell it its called..but it is basically a clamp that attaches two magazines together. so 2 30 round magazines go pretty quick:devil: lol

Why is everyone having such a hard time finding 7.62x39. where i'm at here in MI, almost everyone carry's it in different brands and assortments. Its would be weird if it were out of stock around here.

09-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm not ganna kill someone unless they are trying to kill me, for the record.

Note to self: Do not shoot at Scott. :(

MOFO
09-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Scott, why do you have to use "wut" instead of "what" and "ganna" instead of "going"... you really sound like a moron, and a bigger one if you really talk like that.

A person can only read so much of your "slang"... :rolleyes:

09-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Scott, why do you have to use "wut" instead of "what" and "ganna" instead of "going"... you really sound like a moron, and a bigger one if you really talk like that.

A person can only read so much of your "slang"... :rolleyes:

SL........AM!

Scott-300ex
09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeh, I'm not even replying to that because I'm following the rules.

I type in paragraphs, capitals, periods. All of that, I type wut and say ganna, cuz I'm sure everyone pronounces going to:rolleyes: in real life.

Oh I spell it cuz to.

MOFO
09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeh, I'm not even replying to that because I'm following the rules.

I type in paragraphs, capitals, periods. All of that, I type wut and say ganna, cuz I'm sure everyone pronounces going to:rolleyes: in real life.

Oh I spell it cuz to.

So you do pronounce words like you type them? Just curious...

Scott-300ex
09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
I guess I can relate, cuz I hate when people use.

U, Y, l8r, and all that stuff. I hate that.

swampfoxsc
09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Don't be intimidated when people ask you what you are going to use your AR-15 for. As Americans, we have the right to defend ourselves from criminals and the AR-15 is one of the best firearms available to do that with. When someone tells you it's just made to kill people then proudly answer them that yes it is and that you'll use it for that if you are forced to defend yourself within all legal boundaries.

Tha anti-gunners have somewhat succedded in dividing gun owners into the hunter/sport shooter and the rest of us that believe in the Constitution as it is written. The words, hunt, hunter, hunting or sport shooter are nowhere to be found in there. The focus of anti-gunners lately has been to attack guns that have no sporting use. Don't let others try that crap on you. When they say so-called "assault weapons" weren't around when the Constitution was written, ask them where were the internet, phone lines and televisions? Works every time! :devil:

And of course there's always the threat of zombies but I'll save that for another thread!:blah:

Nausty
09-18-2006, 11:20 AM
GET SOME!!!!!

You can have mine, i'm sick of carrying this thing everywhere I go!

Nausty
09-18-2006, 11:22 AM
yup, i'm pry gonna lose the m16 soon. Gonna get something way bigger, heavier and hard to clean!

Spose it comes w/ the job!

Scott-300ex
09-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Dang Nausty, you got big. Big as in built. I guess basic helped to that too you.

Cuz I thought you were a little older than me, I think your like 22?

Can't kill any tangoes without a magazine:D Unless you have 1 round chambered. LoL

And sweet post swampfoxsc. And I can dig hearin aboot the zombies.

Scott-300ex
09-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Ok, same age as me. LoL

And I got the wut I call "Military Saftey" from watchin the Military.

Instructions and stuff say don't put your finger on the trigger unless your meaning to fire it but no one pays attention to that.

As your finger is straight and not in the trigger guard. I do that now, I think its sweet! I'm sure they teach you that?

09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Can't kill any tangoes without a magazine:D Unless you have 1 round chambered. LoL

Military doesn't let them carry around hot weapons

09-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
GET SOME!!!!!

You can have mine, i'm sick of carrying this thing everywhere I go!

Heck, I'll take it!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for serving....it means the world to me.

ak_stick
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Military doesn't let them carry around hot weapons

huh? we did, all the time.

Nausty
09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Dang Nausty, you got big. Big as in built. I guess basic helped to that too you.

Cuz I thought you were a little older than me, I think your like 22?

And sweet post swampfoxsc. And I can dig hearin aboot the zombies.

nah, i'm a youngin 19!

Yea, some places i've been keep the mag in the weapon and other places its a big no no! We are issued 210 rounds and have to keep track of every single one of them or we can get a article 15, of that we have a 30rnd mag attached to the buttstock of the weapon that goes w/ us everywhere!

We don't have to carry all the rounds w/ us unless we are off the base.

ak_stick
09-19-2006, 02:18 AM
whats your MOS?

210 rounds? is that all? seriously, I carried over 400 in 5.56 alone, not to mention my other 80 or so in 9mm when I was toting a 16, and like 800 when I had my SAW on. plus frags, smokes, incinds, ect.

09-19-2006, 05:40 AM
huh? we did, all the time.

What Nausty said.

Nausty
09-20-2006, 12:27 AM
whats your MOS?

210 rounds? is that all? seriously, I carried over 400 in 5.56 alone, not to mention my other 80 or so in 9mm when I was toting a 16, and like 800 when I had my SAW on. plus frags, smokes, incinds, ect.

heavy construction equipment operator, i don't do a lot of the crazy ****, we always got a lot of the inf guys/tankers pullin security for us which they always seemed like they are hooked the **** up w/ w/e the **** they need!

we're in a pretty calm area right now also!

We go out and clear roadways of depris to make the ied's easier to find!

ak_stick
09-20-2006, 12:28 AM
ah, that makes sense.

Still a cool job I imagine.

Nausty
09-20-2006, 12:43 AM
yea its alright, but i kinda wish i would of done inf that way i can run around and do all the crazy ****! I wanted something i could use when I get out though!

ak_stick
09-20-2006, 12:44 AM
aviation mechanic my friend, we get to do EVERYTHING

Play infantry/mechanic on DART missions, and fly in helichopters

Nausty
09-20-2006, 12:54 AM
badass from what i understand u guys get the hook up a lot of times! I hear aviation always has a **** load of $$$$$!

I've gotten to ride in the blackhawks over baghdad in the middle of the night and day time which was pretty badass! Seeing the door gunners hanging out the side of the chopper w/ nvg's. Also flying over all the palaces in the day time! I can't imagine getting paid to do that stuff!

U got a AK?

ak_stick
09-20-2006, 12:55 AM
dude its a riot.

and yes, we got the hook up

Nausty
09-20-2006, 11:06 AM
badass, i'm so close to picking one up right now, I'm gonna get one sooner or later! I just wanna do some research to find out which ones are the best!

What are the best kinds to get?

Scott-300ex
09-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Russian I think.

I went and shot it today, blew out 60 rounds.

I love it, hardly any kick, loud, powerfull. It is so sweet to set up and shoot, blew some milk jugs out and stuff. And target shot.

I need to zero in at 25 yards then it says I will be good from 0-300 yards, and if I shoot over 300 yards I think I'll need a scope. Shootin at 50 today made everything seem tiny.

But lots of fun, can't wait to get it zero'd for 0-300 yards and go slaughter some coyotes and squirrels and stuff.

My cousin thought it was pretty wicked.

Semi-Automatics are sweet. Pull the trigger as many times as you want and as fast as you can and they fire right out. The most I did was 2 in a row just to try it, and I only did that once.

LoL

Scott-300ex
09-30-2006, 01:00 PM
My friend is a Marine, and he's gettin one too.

He's ganna show me how to take it all apart. Barrel, hand holder, the firing pin and bolt gets broken down into 12 pieces, USMC only taught them how to get it in 7 so far though.

This thing is sweet.

ak_stick
09-30-2006, 02:27 PM
if you zero at 25m, make sure to turn the rear sight to the 8/32 setting on the elevation knob. It should be all the way to one end.

After that, once you've zero'd and your ready to shoot past 25m, then turn the knob back 1/4 turn and your good to go to 500m.

To take it apart, tap the two pins out of the receiver, one is at the very front infront of the mag well, and the other is at the back, under the cut where the upper falls in place. After that, it should just pull apart. If you want to take it further apart, pm me, and I'll let you know