PDA

View Full Version : snow riding

x rider1291
09-01-2006, 07:34 AM
hey i have an 87 250x(if u dont kno its a four stroke) and i was wondering if i would need to get snow tires to ride in the snow. my friend has a 300ex and he says his rides just fine with his itp's.

i also wanted to kno if i should get an aftermarket revbox. if so which would be best?

thanks

JJ69
09-01-2006, 07:41 AM
good question.. i just bought an identical bike. how do you like it?

mine has razr's all around, the fronts are brand new, backs are about 50% tread left.. how do you think they would do in snow?
i'm gonna run them till bald, then buy an identical set i think.

i'm wondering about the rev box as well... i dont race but i do alot of trail riding/racing on roads/fields and stuff.. i havent actually driven it yet, i bought it and then had to go to work, so i dunno how bad the limiter is.

Tri-valleyracin
09-01-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a 300ex (mostly the same as a 250x). i dont change tire when i ride in the snow. i ride with my maxxis razar's or my holeshots but the maxxis are 20in and the itps are 22in. Any thing lower the rearend will drag in the snow and it will build up if u dont have a good tire on the quad. If u have the extra $ to buy snow or mud tire they will hook up better.

x rider1291
09-01-2006, 07:56 AM
i love it! its an awesome quad. it handles great, jumps great, and has plenty of power to climb hills and do wheelies. and its great on the trails. you wont be dissapointed.

as for the tires, i have puresport xc's on the front and i had itp's on the back but for some odd reason they they kept lossing air and coming of the rim so know i have these big knobbies they i dont really like but they'll have to do for now. im only fourteen so i cant just go buy stuff wenever i want.

and the revbox, its kinda bad. i mean u definetly have enough power but u can tell the engine has more to give. and like evryone else says the rev box and the header are both very restrictive so i think getting an aftermarket revf box should help.
as for the pipe, everyone says the hmf slip-on with fmf or wb header is a really good combo. and once again the 250x is a great quad.

elementryder
09-01-2006, 08:57 AM
id say get some kenda klaw 22 in and rev boxes are good ive got one but im geared really low and race mx i like mine iv got a hotshots/ricks eletrick

JJ69
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
i have a 2002 2wd fourtrax 350 with 26" bearclaws on it.. it eats through snow pretty good, but the front tires are quite skinny and it slows me down alot in the winter. i would never recommend big bear claws to any chain driven bike. i've taken one driveshaft out of the fourtrax since new, stuck in a mud hole and one wheel caught. wasnt pretty.

pimpin330ex
09-05-2006, 08:00 AM
i had itp's on the back but for some odd reason they they kept lossing air and coming of the rim

the reason for this is becuase the bead isent sealing on the rim. so you need to pump it until it goes on.

Dr89
09-05-2006, 01:37 PM
in my experience itp's are one of the worse tires in the snow, they keep you moving most of the time but barely, razrs are a lil better but not much. i'd say as far as a sport tire goes some of the best would be kenda klaws or knarly's, or even a set of realitors (although prolly a lil to heavy for a 250x) basically anything with larger, wider spaced lugs than the itps and razrs.

and to tell the truth the stock 300 tires are good in the snow, and those knobby's someone said they had would work pretty good too if they're more ballooned, unlike turf tamers.

when your looking for a snow tire radial tires arent ideal, anything thats taller and less flat across the top (balloon tires) and has wider spaced lugs will work the best. especially for a sport quad that cant haul around big ol' mud and snow tires.

to give you an idea of wht im talkin about stock blaster tires are some of the best "sport quad tires" i've seen work in the snow!

P.S. im originally from north east indiana so im refering to frequent heavy snow falls, like deep snow all winter long, i didnt havent to notice where your from but im talkin about the real stuff not these gay kentucky winters im havin to put up with now!

sorry for such a long dang post!!