PDA

View Full Version : Twist Throttle

gojk
08-31-2006, 10:53 PM
I am looking for a twist throttle for the R. Who makes 1/4 twist throttles? I would like a good quality throttle that I won't have any issues with.

Let me know what your preferences are and why.

Thanks in advance

trailgoon
08-31-2006, 11:12 PM
I Believe motion pro makes one. For me twist is the way to go since I ride dirtbikes also. I have a twist on the R that I ride but I am not sure who makes it because I didn't install it.

zedicus00
09-01-2006, 06:50 AM
THUMB THROTTLES ON QUADS. i ride dirt bikes an street bikes too. i recently bought a ATV that had a twist throttle on it, it went straight in the bin for a thumb throttle. for me theres more control and if you grab the bars hard for whoop section or something you dont end up gunning the quad.

D Bergstrom
09-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00
THUMB THROTTLES ON QUADS.

Not for me. If I had to ride a quad with a thumb throttle, I would quit riding. I can not stand a thumb throttle. A twist is just much more natural for me. Motion pro does make 1/4 twist thottles. I have one on my 250R and my 450R. There website is:

www.motionpro.com

They have info on all of there twist throttle's and also you can look at part numbers to see what cable you need.

Doug

ak_stick
09-01-2006, 10:59 PM
twist rules, as long as you dont do jumps, I've found the landings a little iffy, and I usualy power out of them more than I wish to, but since I'm more of a xc guy than a jumper, it rules. Way easier to run for long periods of time than a thumb

BLACKeR
09-02-2006, 08:54 AM
motion pro makes some good twisters, and i believe magura makes a very good twister. i jump whoop and XC with a twister. as long as you ride agressive you wont have a ploblem with the twist. i feel you cant grab the bars hard with a thumb throttle. if you ride standign up in the attack stance, you weight comes down on top of the throttle, and wont cause you to accelerate. thumbs are a must for more laid back riding.

DezSled
09-02-2006, 09:15 PM
'Whiskey Throttle' is what your worried about I think. Twist throttles take some time to work with.
Once you get used to it you'll never go back. Holding onto the bars w/ your thumb and turning your wrist to gas it will become easier and easier.

Magura '312' throttle has two twist settings 90 degree and a quicker setting too, in one throttle assembly-nicely made.
Motion Pro has the 'Vector' and the 'CR' throttle.
Vector has a quicker ratio (less than 90 degree turn), CR is 90 degree.

All require new throttle cables. Terrycable makes/has throttle cables for a variety of carbs/throttles. They make a braided stainless steel covered one that is bionic.

deathman53
09-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a twist on one of my bikes, I think my others will become twists too. I like it much better on my 200x, hybrid quad becomes a twist next.

BLACKeR
09-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Magura '312' throttle has two twist settings 90 degree and a quicker setting too, in one throttle assembly-nicely made.

thats the one i was thinking of, deffinatly a quality throttle. lots of metal parts on it and very smooth pull.

NJChris
09-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Ive been riding with twists on my 250R since 1987. No question twist is he best way to ride. Full throttle control all the time, even when your hanging waaaaay off of the bike.

The best twist made is a Gunnar gasser http://www.huskyclub.com/gunnar.htm Ive had the same one on my bike since 1987 and it still works like new.

250Renvy
09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I love the snap of a twist throttle, something you just can't do with a thumb.

Can anybody identify these that I have.

1. Not sure what this is.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/DSCN1109.jpg

2.Motion pro - but not sure if it's a vortec.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/DSCN1111.jpg

3.Motion Pro - CR comp, but not sure - didn't install.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/DSCN1113.jpg

4.Made in sweden - Gunner gasser?
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/DSCN1114.jpg

MyKe2g3
09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Twist throttles are tight i have 2 on 2 of my R's they are handy when you want more control of your throttle. But there is a right and wrong way to mount them. Some positions can cause it to bind easier than others. Ive been on the wrong end of one binding up and it wasnt pretty but i still recommend them if you mount them up right. Thumb gets old if you ride for a long time starts to give u carpal tunnel lol.

deathman53
09-04-2006, 03:37 PM
what is the right and wrong way to mount them? On my 200x, I put grease on the bars and put the pull whirl of the twister so that it is on top of the master cylinder cap. Is this the right way?

Tom TRX250R
09-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Twist throttle is the only way to go, coming from motorcycles as well. It does take some getting used to the first few times riding through whoops or the trails but after you do there is no going back to thumb. My thumb is worn out after about an hour where at the dunes with twist I can keep riding a lot longer without fatigue.

NJChris
09-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Pic #4 is a Gunnar gasser.

KYmxracer52
09-05-2006, 05:12 AM
Where is the cheapest place to get the Magura series at? Which one of all would you say is the best to get for MX/XC riding? By the way, I am very use to using a twist on a 250R.

GOTFEAR
09-07-2006, 09:51 PM
What in the heck is wrong with all of you that is one step closer to death man

BLACKeR
09-08-2006, 05:53 AM
im sure all the twister fans will agree with me the only time they have ever had an "issue" with their twisters is when they have been going slow, or riding like a sally. i never understand why people are so afraid of twisters.

i think dennis kurk carried the magura throttles rockymountain might too.

deathman53
09-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Call it death or perference, I like twists on quads/trikes. The guys at the honda dealer called me nuts for ordering a twist for my hybrid. Once you ge used to them, its hard to ride any other way

KYmxracer52
09-08-2006, 09:07 PM
thanks....i'll check both places out.

GOTFEAR
09-08-2006, 09:33 PM
yea I her yea I ride way back and my arms are stretched out it was hard to race mx with a twisti its all about rider prefrence have FUN........

esr250r86
09-08-2006, 10:25 PM
I really like twist throttle because I feel like I have more control of the bike and it does not tire your arm out like a thumb throttle would. You do have to get use to them in the woops and turns but there are pros and cons of having twist throttles, it just depends what you like. I am using a motion pro twist throttle on my R and it works great. I bought it from rocky mountain. I think it is a cr pro or something like that. Good luck.:)

KYmxracer52
09-09-2006, 08:26 PM
I've had the regular 'turbo' throttle on my other R i had and liked it OK. On the R I have now, I would like to get one that opens up just a little bit quicker. Not too quick, but a little more than the Turbo. Which one should I go with? How would the Magura be?

DezSled
09-10-2006, 12:52 AM
I checked the husky site for gunnar gassers P/N 13-7000 but the guy never replyed. I wanted to get a new one, so I had to look elsewhere. There used to be a throttle tube for a quicker twist ratio(actually for 40 mm and up carbs). P/N 13-7022 it was black, the standard tube was white. Speed and Sport sells both the magura 314 and the gunnar gasser, but not the replacement parts for the gunnar. If anyone knows I am looking for a couple extra quick ratio throttle tubes.

The left one is the std throttle tube (white), right is the quick ratio one (black).

DezSled
09-10-2006, 12:56 AM
heres a gunnar gasser throttle cover

beerock
09-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Contrary to what eevryone is saying about twist throttles is they simply dont work well on quads because of the shoulder to bar angle.

the reason why most of you dont have problems with them is because your not riding fast/hard enough. to see why they are BAD. All you need to do is go through some whoops WOT in 5th and 6th gear for about 1 mile, and come back and tell me you didnt crash with your twist.

The angle from your shoulder to the bars is much lower then on a motorcycle. That is why HANGING ON THE BARS does nto happen much. I promise you though, if you go through whoops long enough and fast enough youll curse that thumb throttle out.

i use to use a twist and i almost had 4 close calls and the 5th time i fell off the bike n 5th through whoops. thats when I switched it. When i switched it i noticed how much more relaxed I could be while riding and not have to always ride in the atack position.

adjusting the tension on the thumb throttle is one thng many people dont do right so they hate thumb throttles because there to hard to push... if you set it up right they can be light as a feather....

ty

broque

p.s.
twist is great in the woods and im sure some of you enjoy it but its not meant to be on the quad thats why they made thumb throttles for them.. UNLESS you run a +2 stem or handle bar extention so the bars are up lik a motorcycle then trouble is just waiting to happen..

rebelbanshee
09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by beerock
Contrary to what eevryone is saying about twist throttles is they simply dont work well on quads because of the shoulder to bar angle.

the reason why most of you dont have problems with them is because your not riding fast/hard enough. to see why they are BAD. All you need to do is go through some whoops WOT in 5th and 6th gear for about 1 mile, and come back and tell me you didnt crash with your twist.

The angle from your shoulder to the bars is much lower then on a motorcycle. That is why HANGING ON THE BARS does nto happen much. I promise you though, if you go through whoops long enough and fast enough youll curse that thumb throttle out.

i use to use a twist and i almost had 4 close calls and the 5th time i fell off the bike n 5th through whoops. thats when I switched it. When i switched it i noticed how much more relaxed I could be while riding and not have to always ride in the atack position.

adjusting the tension on the thumb throttle is one thng many people dont do right so they hate thumb throttles because there to hard to push... if you set it up right they can be light as a feather....

ty

broque

p.s.
twist is great in the woods and im sure some of you enjoy it but its not meant to be on the quad thats why they made thumb throttles for them.. UNLESS you run a +2 stem or handle bar extention so the bars are up lik a motorcycle then trouble is just waiting to happen..

does doing a 1/4 mile of whoops 4 times count?:D

I like using my opposable thumb to hold on. pinch the side of the quad with the legs elbows up, not just twisting at the wrist, but the right about at the elbow.. no problem..maybe Im not fast enough though..

Bottom line is preference. I think thumb throttles are suicide devices, most dont. Its a try it and find out thing

D Bergstrom
09-11-2006, 03:23 PM
the reason why most of you dont have problems with them is because your not riding fast/hard enough. to see why they are BAD.

I would say I ride pretty fast/hard during a race, and i do just fine with a twist. Last race was 584 miles total, I rode 280 something miles of it. Would have never made it with a thumb throttle, thumb would have fallen off. Granted, I race desert, if I raced MX, I might THINK about using a thumb throttle, but I don't, so it is a twist for me.

UNLESS you run a +2 stem or handle bar extention so the bars are up lik a motorcycle then trouble is just waiting to happen..

I do.:D +2 stem with protaper SE tall atv bend bars.

I still dislike thumb throttles. I can ride much better and feel more comfortable with a twist then with a thumb. It is all personal preference, if you like a thumb, use a thumb, if you like a twist, use a twist. Niether one of them is "wrong", it is just what you want

Doug

KYmxracer52
09-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Would you please explain to me how to adjust the tension on the thumb throttles? Mine is pretty stiff. I would love to ride it with a light throttle. No way I would shell out $60 for a twist if my thumb don't hurt.

deathman53
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
some say to cut the spring in the carb some, you also can get longer ratio thumb's or extenders. JL atv sells adjust ajustable thumb throttles, they are somewhat easier to use.

86 Quad R
09-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
some say to cut the spring in the carb some, you also can get longer ratio thumb's or extenders. JL atv sells adjust ajustable thumb throttles, they are somewhat easier to use.

yup thats exactly what ya do. i've cut em as short as 1/2" longer than the overall slide travel. with a new well lubed cable it slides effortlessly but remember that ya must keep the cable maintained...... otherwise your asking for stuck a throttle when/if the cable gets ta draggin the slightest bit.

DEVINF450R
09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
HOW MUCH OF THE SPRING CAN BE CUT OFF SAFELY ON A 05 450R

86 Quad R
09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
not as simple as it is on the 250R carbs and alike. the 450R carb is a different animal. it has a twist tension spring instead of a compression tension. note assembly #7

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid214/p7acb0801bffe4948a05a40d6340887bf/ed01a9da.jpg

DEVINF450R
09-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Well I get throttle thumb so bad that I lose almost 2 places every race (and get 4th-5th). so I feel like I am losing sooo much time because i get hand cramps my last lap or two. I need to do something

DezSled
09-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Now imagine riding like that for say 4- 5 hours.

In '84 Kawasaki KXT250A1 Tecate 3 wheelers came stock from the factory with a twist. Spanked the Hondas that year, Jimmy White ruined them all season long.

beerock
09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
not as simple as it is on the 250R carbs and alike. the 450R carb is a different animal. it has a twist tension spring instead of a compression tension. note assembly #7

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid214/p7acb0801bffe4948a05a40d6340887bf/ed01a9da.jpg

well, for a 450r you can go look for a lighter spring