PDA

View Full Version : starting a 300ex

jtoy
08-31-2006, 09:16 PM
just bought a 2001 3ooex today. i think something is wrong because you have to be in nuetral before it will start. does anyone know what i can do to make it start in gear as long as i pull the clutch in

Ryanwolfe911
09-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Mine starts in gear just fine. Maybe yours has a nuetral safety switch? Try by passing it.

bwamos
09-01-2006, 10:30 AM
3 things to check.

1) make sure the bolt on the clutch lever is screwed in all the way. If it's not, then the lever will get some slop and the switch wont work right.

2) If you have an ohm meter / multimeter make sure the switch on the clutch lever is working properly.

3) If those are both good, then make sure your contact to the tranny switch is not oxidized. It will be behind the rear brake pedal under the small sheetmetal cover on the sidecase cover.

jtoy
09-01-2006, 12:52 PM
thanks it was the cluth lever it was out of adjustment

XCAdam89
09-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I have the same problem as well....

I'll try and fix it tomorrow. Is it normal?

Sjorge450R
09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
I have the same problem as well....

I'll try and fix it tomorrow. Is it normal?

i really dont know. Your best bet would be to cut those wire that go into the clutch and wire them together. That will eliminate the need for the switch while eliminating the risk of this problem.

rebelbuggy
09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
I am glad I read this thread, i just got mine running today and Mine wont crank in gear either, its a pain trying to find nutral so you can crank it back up.. I will check out what you guys said and see what it is..

XCAdam89
09-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Any other suggestions??

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Any other suggestions??

Did you figure anything out? guess I am about to take my plate off and check the switch thing. its really getting on my nearves....

Mine starts fine by letting it roll down a hill and putting it in 2nd or 3rd it cranks so.... could it still be either of the 2 things you guys said?

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
i really dont know. Your best bet would be to cut those wire that go into the clutch and wire them together. That will eliminate the need for the switch while eliminating the risk of this problem.

I took my cover off to check it out I also read the book and found out theres 2 plugs the back one is for the Nutral safty switch and the front one is the reverse one..

So your saying to connect those two wires together? the reverse and the nutral safty switch?????

Sjorge450R
09-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by rebelbuggy
I took my cover off to check it out I also read the book and found out theres 2 plugs the back one is for the Nutral safty switch and the front one is the reverse one..

So your saying to connect those two wires together? the reverse and the nutral safty switch?????

the one that is on the clutch. Not the one on the engine. On the clutch perch.

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
the one that is on the clutch. Not the one on the engine. On the clutch perch.

Oh... If I move the rubber part away I see like 3 goldish looking prongs( guess those are connectors?)

I do see two wires I think there green but I figured they were for the start button or whatever.

bradley300
09-04-2006, 05:11 PM
i would like someone else to back me up, but i'm 99.9% sure its the green wires you need to splice together

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i would like someone else to back me up, but i'm 99.9% sure its the green wires you need to splice together

Oh alright then...

Sjorge450R
09-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by bradley300

yep they are the ones.

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 05:52 PM
yep they are the ones.

So just take loose from there at the lever and tie therm together. right, that bypasses the switch....

Sjorge450R
09-04-2006, 05:54 PM
So just take loose from there at the lever and tie therm together. right, that bypasses the switch....

you are correct. use a but end connector. If you can get the one that you heat that would be even better

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 06:08 PM
you are correct. use a but end connector. If you can get the one that you heat that would be even better

I just tryed it and thats It... Cool thanks guys..

use a butt conector? why that? I was just going to find a conector that would fit in each plug and tape it all together. r cut the plugs altogether and twist together and tape

Sjorge450R
09-04-2006, 06:23 PM
I just tryed it and thats It... Cool thanks guys..

use a butt conector? why that? I was just going to find a conector that would fit in each plug and tape it all together. r cut the plugs altogether and twist together and tape

what you did will work, but I would feel more comfortable with the but connector.Espescialy the type that you can heat and make almost impossible to separate.

Ryanwolfe911
09-05-2006, 05:29 AM
The correct way to do it is to solder the connections then cover it with heatshrink tubing to seal out any moisture. I've found that even the butt connectors with heatshrink ends on them, still tend to get corrosion inside, because when you crimp the ends, it pierces through the plastic and leaves some metal exposed. Do not use electrical tape. That is not a permanent repair.

bwamos
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Agree...
Your atv is going to see a lot of water. If water is able to get to the connection (like a twisted and taped connection), you're wires are going to oxidize in a hurry, and you're going be having the same problem you just bandaided.

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Agree...
Your atv is going to see a lot of water. If water is able to get to the connection (like a twisted and taped connection), you're wires are going to oxidize in a hurry, and you're going be having the same problem you just bandaided.

yeah So soldered and taped is what I ended up doing, but its not a life or death thing.unless your racing lol. if it has to be in nutral its not biggie if just one day it goes to not working.

XCAdam89
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Got it straightened out. Just spliced the wires together, and walah.

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Got it straightened out. Just spliced the wires together, and walah.

Yeah that was easy wasnt it.