PDA

View Full Version : How to get broken valve cover bolt out?

Chino886
08-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, the previous owner broke one of the valve cover bolts off in the head.

How do I go about getting the remaining piece out? Do I have to take the head off?

I am thinking a bolt extractor but I have never used one before!

nicktrx450r
08-31-2006, 08:16 PM
where did it break at? top..bottom..middle?

Chino886
08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by nicktrx450r
where did it break at? top..bottom..middle?

If I had to guess, I would say that there are about 3-4 threads still down in the hole, it is not protruding out of the hole....:grr:

Scro
08-31-2006, 08:20 PM
If you take the cover off, there may be a little bit sticking out. You may could use a vise grip to back it out then. I've never used an easy-out, but they say that works well.

As a last resort, we have had to weld a nut on the end of a broke bolt before. But that's only if there is a little sticking out.

Chino886
08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
If you take the cover off, there may be a little bit sticking out. You may could use a vise grip to back it out then. I've never used an easy-out, but they say that works well.

As a last resort, we have had to weld a nut on the end of a broke bolt before. But that's only if there is a little sticking out.

yeah, there is not a piece sticking out, it is all in the whole......LOOKS like I have a new project.....EASY OUT.....so they say! LOL!

This is after I fix the damn spinning gas tank nut!!!!!

I have only got to ride her once......damn the luck! To bad I care for my quads enough to tear it apart before there was some real damage!

Punk'd
09-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Same happened to me, but with little luck I have I was able to spin it out with my fingers:confused:

Dont drop the easy-out in the motor:eek:

GPracer2500
09-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Punk'd, did you get your engine back together?

Punk'd
09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Punk'd, did you get your engine back together?

Engine is back togther a running good (that I can tell from riding for like 10mins)

Thanks a ton for the help, Ill keep you updated:)

ATC350X 85
09-01-2006, 06:03 PM
If you are to use an easy out or an extractor make sure you center punch and drill the hole dead center in the broken bolt. Use some lube so as to not over heat the drill. Get a quality set of extractors. Drill a smaller hole first before you use the size drill bit that is recommended for that size extractor. Go easy w/ the extractor and dont break the extractor off in the bolt, Ive done that before. Good luck.

Over-land 450r
09-01-2006, 09:07 PM
for the gass tank . trey to pull the nut out the drill the hoe a lil bigger then hammer a nut in there a lil bigggeer than the hole

Chango
09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
I used a colbalt drill bit and an easy out ..