PDA

View Full Version : can't decide between ltr450,450r,or yfz

chadalac1992
08-31-2006, 08:03 PM
I cant decide between the ltr450,450r,or theyfz could someone help me out here.

Scro
08-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Have you rode any of them?

rollie
08-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Im having the same problem, this is what ive conculded, ive ridden the YFZ and LTR for a long enough time to get used to them, and the 450R up and down a street once, the YFZ, i dont like,it vibrates alot and doesnt have a lean powerband like on the suzuki and honda, i also feeled a little cramped on the YFZ(but hey anythings better than a 300ex!lol) however once it has a +1 stem it feels better, IMO the YFZ almost has a 2 stroke like powerbandand i find it hard to find a good speed, it always seems too high or too low, however the gearing may affect that ive never payed any attenion to it on the one ive ridden, the LTR, i found loves to be revv'd and when you rev it, theres plenty of power on tap, if you dont rev it, you will see the slight absence of low end power, i quickly learnt that if you keep the revs up, its no problem, the LTR doesnt vibrate much and i felt extremely comfotable on it, even the seat was plush unlike the yamaha and honda. the 450R seemed to have plently of low end torque and was also comfortable and i didnt feel cramped at all the 450r pulls and has a nice broad powerband i felt. Out of the three i like the YFZ the Least, it seemed to require alot of mateince and needed a rebuild half way threw the season ( including crank, piston,head), there is no doubting the yamaha's power however, theres TONS. I think the LTR was the best feeling, however the EFI,and strange noise i heard from the engine made me feel a little uncomftable on it, mostly because i didnt know where the noise was comming from, matience on the LTR seems to be pretty easy, from what ive found they dont really like mud ( the one i rode died 30 seconds into a race BOTH moto's, i partly blame that on his dirty air filter, but after we cleaned it, it did the same thing the second moto, in better conditions however the LTR has taken a few 2nd and even a 1st, I liked the Honda alot as well and the one i rode hasnt missed a race yet and he's had almost no problems with it.i have heard of some starting problems on the 2006 models but others, i
have heard where working flawlessly, the YFZ and 450R both take alot of money to make competative, from what i have seen tho, aftermarket 450R's proform the best, The LTR takes less than $1000 to get race ready, and they seem pretty reliable, just not in the mud, this is the research im basing the 450 i purchase off of, I am not sure what one i'll be buying but i have ruled out the yamaha, not because im brand loyal or anything but just based on the three 450's i like the YFZ the least all around, so its between the Honda and the Suzuki for me, i hope this helps make your choice.

Later

hard one
09-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I have a lt-r rode all 3 450's and will tell it straight

The yamaha is set with decent power nice stock top speed handling is decent.the honda is a freaken power house with the hrc kit but feels tippy and has the least travel but awsome in the woods if you dont mind puttin in a new clutch every few mounths.then you have the lt-r 450 throttle response is awsome can take any of them off the line but gets left behind up top, but a simple mod with the crbm and it takes care of that.the handling is the best in the class and really doent need any suspension modds NEVER FEELS TIPPY but it cost the most(its worth it)

depends on what you are doing with it.
BUY the honda if you like power and plan on getting after market a-arms(wodds ,mx tt

buy the lt-r 450 if you dont want to mess with an already great handling and suspension and just want to beff up the engine for a really decent price(mx TT) decent trail bike due to efi

Buy the yamaha if you are going to put thousands in engine and handling to make a super awsome quad.(mx,woods)

All are great !!!!!!!!!!!!

yfz stealer
09-02-2006, 03:08 PM
man reading all this just made it harder for me to chose which one i should get

Supercup
09-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I had a YZF and now have a Honda. I have not ridden a LTR. I liked the YZF, but kept it stock with just pipe and filter. Did everything well. When I went to mod it, I was advised to get a Honda for reliability reasons. The LTR was not available at that time. I spent a lot of money on the Honda and it is simply awesome.

I raced an LTR at the Dunes with a pipe and filter kit, just after came out on my Honda. It was very fast, I was impressed, since I have a seriously worked over motor, I expected to smoke him. What also really impressed me was his ability get through the big woops at the bottom of the hill about as well as I could (I have roll and elka set up front and rear).

I wanted the LTR to get a year under its belt to so they could figure out and fix the bugs. I would not hesitate to buy a 2007. I think the fuel injection is a real plus in keeping things simple. If you don't have a big budget for mods, then I think is the LTR is best quad for MX, Dunes, fast desert riding. I would guess the Honda or yamaha might be a little better in the woods.

Since you are in Long Beach (I am in OC as well) I would guess you will be riding Dunes, desert and MX, so the LTR should be a great choice for you.

Good luck,

JCM

09-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Where do you guys ride.I am in HB I will be getting a 450R or LTR soon.

yfz stealer
09-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by James400EX
Where do you guys ride.I am in HB I will be getting a 450R or LTR soon.
dude we are all going to beamount tomorrow cant wait

09-03-2006, 07:12 PM
End of this month we are going to Dumont dunes.Iwill try to get in touch and see if you guys want to meet up.

Supercup
09-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Let me know when as I have never been to Dumont and would like to go there sometime. I will go if it works for my schedule and it isn't still blazing hot.

I want to go to Pismo also in the next 6 weeks, before the WORCS race Oct. 21-22.

JCM

da_zukikid
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by rollie
from what ive found they dont really like mud ( the one i rode died 30 seconds into a race BOTH moto's, i partly blame that on his dirty air filter, but after we cleaned it, it did the same thing the second moto, in better conditions however the LTR has taken a few 2nd and even a 1st

Why do you say it does not like mud??:confused: I take mine through it all the time with no problems:D http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/dtburton75/P1010007.jpg

R450HQ
09-08-2006, 01:28 PM
best bet is to ride all 3.

If the yfz450 were as wide and had similar suspension as the ltr450 I would probably have a hard chose choosing which to get.

And the honda.... ehh I don;t think I would ever buy a honda, LOL

Keep your eyes on the new kfx450 also

woodsracer420
09-22-2006, 09:15 PM
all stock

for mx

1. ltr
2.yfz
3.450r

for xc racing

1.450r
2.yfz
3.ltr

all stock the yfz puts out the most power,ltr possibly the worst but ltr has wicked throttle response
all stock the honda handles the worst but with some shock work really helps

normally i would talk honda up, but im getting ready to shell out about $2,000 or more for my locked up R motor, that i matained perfectly. i just think theres an issue with the crank/bearing set up not getting enough oil and several people are having trouble too.

but i race xc and seems like i see more DNF's from people who ride yfz than any other quad. not sure though

reliability on ltr, i really dont know? just hope there better then the Z

my 2 cents

700bRad
09-23-2006, 05:39 PM
I am also having some trouble. I hear the LTR and 450r are the best in the woods. Im just worried the LTR sits to low to the ground. Im an avid extreme trail rider and hill climber. How is the LTR with climbing steep hills? Right now im leaning toward the 450r, but I dont want to be dissapointed with another carberated 450. I love the EFI on my rappy 700 and the handling of my YFZ. How much effort would I have to put into the LTR to make it woods ready? Please give me your full and truthfull input with the ltr vs. 450r in the woods. THanx!

Heatpump#4
09-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I had a Yfz and now have a ltr. personally i wish i wouldve been able to keep my yfz but i couldnt because my dad wants to try to have the best thing out.(keep up with the jones's thing) In my opinon i would chose the yfz more due to the fact it fits my ridin style better than the ltr's. But if i were you i would choose the ltdyfz cause of the high and low speed front and rear shocks stock and cause it has alot more bottom end the the ltr stock but you should ride them each and see what you feel comfortable on the most

450rJam
09-26-2006, 05:54 PM
YFZ is very respectable (out handles the 450r)
LTR is the best handling (duh its wider but its lowest power wise)
450r is the most powerfull (it is a little tippy)
my friend has a ltr and is limited in the woods more due to the width than the clearance.
I have pulled alot of yfz's with pipe,jet,k&n etc.
my 450r handles like a bull dozer compaired to my 250r but im getting use to it. (it takes alot of body english to keep her right)
the ltr is the most $$$.
My personal pref. says the yfz feels funny, narrow seat and a little cramped.
for xc,trails,woods the 450r has the most low end by far.
you have to chose the one set up best for your type riding,
I dont think you will be sorry with any of the 3.
its a win,win,win situation.