PDA

View Full Version : should i buy the 450r

03warriorrider
08-31-2006, 07:09 PM
i was wondering if the 450r is good in the trails. the trails i ride have some rocky spots in them so is the r manageable to ride in these spots for someone used to a warrior or does it take alot of clutch and trottle work to get through them. am i better off just getting the 400ex? how does the suspension compare to the 400ex and the warrior. how does it take the quick little bumps like roots and small rocks on the trails that are horrible on my stock warrior suspension. thanx

DirtDevilBT
08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
I actually came off a 2003 warrior that was very well modded.

The two are completely different and are suposed to be used for different things. This aside, the 450r still works well for trails. You will need to gear it down some in the front and possibly in the rear too. Depending on the trail of course. The suspension is not ment for trails, meaning it is very stiff and tends to kick your as.s over roots or small bumps. You will end up softening them all the way, especailly if you are a light (weight) rider. With the gearing and suspension change you will be just fine. No extra clutching needed unless you really get into some tight areas.

That beings me to the next thing. If you are worried about clutching in tight places, you should first be worried about how much wider the 450r is compared to the warrior. I loved my warrior cause I could get up dirtbike trails, where only one wheel has been. If I get into trouble, the warrior is bery managable, and if it becomes really bad there is always reverse.

Sucks having to pull the quad around, but I didn't get the 450r to trail ride, that's what the warrior is for. That being said, the 700r might be something for you to look at if you want power and trailability. IMO, the R would be a great choice as long as gearing and suspension is changed. The 700r would still be better though afterwords. :D

bluebaron
08-31-2006, 11:28 PM
450r's are a great all around quad. I've they do wonders with a 12 tooth front sprocket for trails.

09-01-2006, 06:14 AM
dirt devil is right on the money with everything...you could essentially replace warrior with 400ex and have my review. i didn't lower my gearing on my '06. it takes a little clutch work, but if you run a clutch now, it won't take you long to adjust. right after i first got it, i thought i had made a mistake by giving the 400ex to the wife and getting the r. after a few rides and some suspension adjustment(sped up the compression and slowed the rebound i think, didn't change the preload), i really loved the bike. the clutch and throttle work is now seciond nature and it is much more capable quad than what i had expected

gbcap
09-01-2006, 06:41 AM
the R wants to run. it isn't a slow riding trail bike but who has fun doing that anyway. with a lil gearing change...13t or 12t up front and maybe a 37t in the rear you will have a low end monster. the suspension is FAR superior to the ex or the warrior. it isn't designed for trail riding at slow speeds, but still much better then a non ressie suspension on another bike.

i wouldn't hesitate making that decision! go with the R all the way.