PDA

View Full Version : question about coolant

meankfx
08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
does it matter what type of coolant i put in my kfx 400

jonboy
08-31-2006, 08:49 PM
IMO, yes it does. Some coolants have different additives in them which makes them better or worse. Definately use a coolant that is specified for an ATV. I prefer to use Engine Ice or Maxima Coolanol. There are several different brands out there. So, which ever one that you use be sure to follow their recomended mix, most are generally 50/50 but, there are a few that require a proper mix ratio.

meankfx
09-01-2006, 12:54 PM
so coolant for a polaris will work in a kfx

jonboy
09-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Have you checked the owners manual to see what the specifications are for coolant type. You may be able to use it, I dont really know. If it meets the requirement for your KFX then yeah. I strongly recomend using Engine Ice.

rockman
09-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jonboy
I strongly recomend using Engine Ice.

I agree. Engine Ice works very well. I have noticed my fan doesn't come on nearly as much as before.

mscottiel
09-03-2006, 07:20 AM
if you have magnesium covers on the engine it is a good idea to use evans coolant. it will keep your engine cooler than engine ice and it lubricates better so your water pump lasts longer. it is a must for magnesium because water can corrode the magnesium and evans coolant won't. get the NPG-R or NPG+. www.evanscooling.com;)

rockman
09-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by mscottiel
if you have magnesium covers on the engine it is a good idea to use evans coolant. it will keep your engine cooler than engine ice and it lubricates better so your water pump lasts longer. it is a must for magnesium because water can corrode the magnesium and evans coolant won't. get the NPG-R or NPG+. www.evanscooling.com;)

I'm going to say if you still have a magnesium cover, go to the dealership and get that bad boy changed. There is a recall on that for the very reason you just stated.

mscottiel
09-03-2006, 12:16 PM
the nice thing about mag. covers is the weight savings on the motor. it is not alot but everything helps. if you want to keep the mag. covers get the evans coolant.