PDA

View Full Version : supercharged 5.0 stang?

Jake250ex
08-31-2006, 02:20 PM
I have been really thinking of saling everything I have and getting a fox body 5.0 mustang. Probly a GT, def has to be a 5 speed though. Anyway, I will have a good amount of cash, but I dont wanna to go into the engine internally. I was wondering if everything in the stock engine/drivetrain would hold up to the extra power made. With a stock motor, headers and exhaust supercharged what do you think it would be putting down to the rear wheels? How much do you think a mechanich would charge to install it? I wouldnt feel comfortable with me or my dad working on it (even thought hes been building cars all of his life). I am wondering what the package is going to cost total and what the performance is like.

RedRider4
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
a 5.0 will hadle that easy. my 4.6 has a vortech and it is putting some major power to the wheels. just make sure that whoever instals it does it right though(just sow you get max power out of it)

initall
08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
i would say you could safley do a 9lb pully on a supercharger.
i am guessing around 325-350 rwhp with stock heads, cam, and intake.

But at the very least i would change exhaust to 1 5/8 headers off road h pipe if it is legal where you live and a cat back slp or Flowmaster are my favorite

I am hearing good things about the Paxton novi 1000 charger.

Get a better clucth

I would increase fuel, bigger injectors- higher flow fuel pump

And get it tuned by a reputable shop, that is one of the most important things

Good luck with it, you will like it

I miss my Fox

crazedape
08-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Try to find a supercharger with its own oil supply. Don't get one that feeds off of the engines oil supply.

NorCalRacer
08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
My friend has a 94 mustang with a 5.0 in it. I installed a 9 pound powerdyne supercharger and it seems to like it just fine:devil: Only thing I added to save the engine was a boost retard control, and I don't know how much HP it makes but it is fast.

Rastus
08-31-2006, 10:51 PM
My buddy has a 91 GT, and in my experience helping him work on it, you'll have problems with the T-5 tranny. :(

jrspawn
08-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I would say first go with a tremec trans, either TKO 1 or 2, or 3550. You WILL break the stock t5 with over 300 HP eventually. Also i would not recomend using an internal oiled blower unit, alot of the older SN/paxton blowers had that design and i think some of the other cheaper ones might still use that. A constant oil supply from the pan is what you want. All of your top of the line blower companies better blowers do so also, vortech, paxton and procharger. And the install is rather easy on any of the kits also, people think sometimes that you have to tap into the pan is a huge problem, its not. But at the least, upgrade the tranny, along with exhaust injectors, meter, and throttle body. And dont try to skimp either, its better to do it right to get the best HP gain, all of the compnents have to be working correctly together.

1fst400
08-31-2006, 11:25 PM
I have seen pix of that car somewhere...

jrspawn
08-31-2006, 11:29 PM
probably on here in a mustang post or on corral.net Its my baby:)
90 25th annv. gt
Full cage
tremec
and on and on and on................

crazedape
09-01-2006, 09:40 AM
The Kenne Belle superchargers and the whipple style chargers all have thier own oil supply. All of the high end twin screw superchargers have thier own oil supply. Paxton, Novi and Vortech are respectable companies but if you want to lay down the power get a whipple style or a Kenne Belle. Don't get a fox body get a newer mustang with a modular motor. It can produce more power and has better components already in the motor itself. You can push about 500hp out of a modular motor before you need to go internal on the engine.

Scott-300ex
09-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Good that your getting a stick!

GT and LX are the same, just different front bumper, ect...

Stock compression is 9:1, 8:1 is best but 9:1 is good.

I gaurentee you stock headers/exhaust manifolds are 1 5/8"

T-5's are real good trannie's, but you will prolly blow you clutch out, I blew mine out and I installed a Spec Stage II with aluminum flywheel at my uncles, I recomend that clutch.

Get more fuel supply and if your throwin a supercharger on it and exhaust, get an intake too.

Get a centrifigal, you don't want a roots stickin out of the hood.

firefighterjosh
09-01-2006, 10:53 AM
My Buddy bought a 4cyclinder Stang dropped a 5.0 into it with a supercharger. After repaeted hole shots the body is tweak. he also blew out his tranny. He did 12.5 in the quater.