PDA

View Full Version : Did they or didn't they (really install it)

old450rider
08-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Okay, here's the deal.....
I purchased (and had installed) the HRC kit for my new ('05) 450R. When I went to pick it up they gave me back the box with the stock parts in it. So I was out looking in the box today, and the jet bags (both) were unopened and the cam was in the bubble wrap with the top torn off but stapled shut. Now maybe I'm just the suspicious type, but it seems to me that they, at the very least, didn't install the jets that came with the kit. At the very worst, they didn't intall anything but the accelerator pump and snorkle and K&N filter I also purchased (oh, and the pipe end cap).
Another thing that makes me wonder is that they didn't have it done on the day they said it would be done because the didn't have the correct cam shims to put in. I had to wait until they got those in so they could install the cam.
So I guess I have a couple of questions in regards to this (before I go storming in and make an absolute fool out of myself).

1. Would the bike run right without a re-jet after installing a K&N filter and end cap from the HRC kit?
2. Is there anyway to tell the HRC cam from the OEM cam?
3. Is there any other way to tell if the work was actually performed?

I have only run the bike up the street a block or so, I haven't had a chance to get out and really run it yet, so I don't know if the performance is suffering or better or what.
So, can anyone help me out here?

GPracer2500
08-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Pretty sure the stock cam has 2 grooves in the end while the HRC cam has three grooves.

old450rider
08-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Ah, okay. The one they gave me back has two grooves, so it must be the stock cam. I guess I just don't understand why they didn't use the jets that came with the kit...they aren't cheap are they?

kazpr
08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Jets are cheap about $5 ea or so.

450ERRRRRR!
08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Ask them why the Hrc kit jets werent used. Did they install the HRC needle that adjustable? You tell them if it burns up because nobody replaced the main jet then they bought it.

bsjoe
08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I paid 2.50 each for mine from dennis kirk

bwamos
08-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Are you sure the jet kit wouldn't have come with like 3 different jets for different elevations? If so then they may have put in the correct HRC jet and just given you the ones that they didn't use?

old450rider
08-31-2006, 01:43 PM
I thought of that, but the manual and parts diagram/list that comes with the kit only shows 1 set.
I am going to call them and just ask which size jet they put in....for reference sake of course.

HAVOK
08-31-2006, 02:04 PM
I would look into the carb myself and find out what is in their. And if they didn't install all of the parts I would demand the install fee back. Do not open the unopened parts. Also contact honda customer care after you find out they did a slap dick job.

d3ktrix
08-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Pull your main jet out to see if they installed a 185.

There is a big nut on the bottom of ur carb, a 17mm socket will take it off. Then your main jet is exposed. Take the main jet out with a 6mm socket.

It should be a 185 w/ the HRC kit.

Maybe they didn't use the jets that came with the kit because the elevation in your area calls for a different jet, or because of the K&N they decided to use a different jet.

Your A/F scew should also be 2.5 turns out.
My dealer left my A/F screw at 1.5 turns out when they installed my kit and it popped on decel.

DirtDevilBT
08-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Did they put the HRC airbox lid on?

You should have a few stock parts:

Stock Breather "T" for crankcase
Stock snorkel
Stock lid
Stock end cap
stock filter
stock needle
stock main jet (118 normally)
stock cam

Stock cam=2 rings
Stock needle=non adjustable
Stock "T"= very small hole lol

d3ktrix
08-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
Stock needle=non adjustable

My stock needle was adjustable.

buck naked-r
09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
05 stcok needle is adjustable

DirtDevilBT
09-01-2006, 12:43 PM
opps, the fcr one non adjustable I guess, don't remember, I have a dynojet needle and my stock one is no where to be found. lol

The info is still there for HIM to use.

JW450R1
09-04-2006, 06:02 AM
remove the carb. it only takes a few minutes.remove the bowl and see what size jet is in there.it's only about 6 screws,and u don't have to pull off the throttle cable off.