PDA

View Full Version : I Dont Get It....

Jakeyracer
08-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Why do all people who ride a z400 have to always brag that z400 is awesome and 400ex sucks. I mean the 400ex came out in what 1999 i think, it was aircooled, sold well so honda left it like it was a little tweak here and there but over all they thought it was good enough. The z400 came out in 2003 and was liquid cooled,OH WOW. I think the only reson z400 owners say 400ex sucks is because, if you think about it, it is its only competeder in that engine size range. Kfx/ltz/dvx all the same quad just a different sticker (cept dvx has different plastics). AND it came out in 2003 when different technologys were avalible, and honda stuck with what worked for them and that was simple maintnence free air cooled engine that is practicly bullet proof. I wont lie i think the z400 is awesome but not "z400 is 110% better than the 400ex"

What do you guys think about this subject??

Please no flamers or pissed off z400 owners!!!

TRX23rider
08-31-2006, 11:07 AM
the majority of people are going to say that what they have is best. each machine has their strong points and they each have their weak points.

bsjoe
08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
to me its like ha my 660 machine can smoke your little 50 cc atv!!!

You get what you pay for. With the z400, you pay for more advanced designs and tech then a 400ex.

red_rider38
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
I guess they have to justify their purchase. Honda must of thought that quad riders would rather be out riding than wrenching on their bikes. The newer bikes are more performance orientated but require more maintence. I know because I own a yz426f. The technology, liquid cooling & DOHC, was available back in '99 but honda stuck to what worked. I don't think the 400ex are such horrible machines. They have won the baja races. When I bought a 400ex for my gf, I wanted a machine that would give me the least trouble.

krt400ex
08-31-2006, 11:42 AM
the z400 sucks, i think it is less reliable and it is more tippy. i don't like the handling at all

-copyguy-
08-31-2006, 12:56 PM
I agree with that. I thought they had a shorter wheelbase, but it's actually a little longer than a 400ex 49" vs. 48.4". Seat height is the same...

I dunno what it is, but I just feel uncomfortable on a z400...maybe cuz it ain't red :D

PismoLocal
08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Its always funny when z riders think that there quad is better than yours when you have a 400ex. Just let them think what they want. A while ago i went riding with a 17 year old kid that had a piped z400 and he was telling me his quad is better than mine. Some people are just ignorant.

JPhonda
08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
i own a 400ex and my friend has a z400. to me i would pick the 400ex any day. i like how you sit low one the ex it feels a lot more stable to me. Also i find that the z is dead on bottom end. And for woods riding bottom end is the best which is why i prefer the ex. Its to bad that the ex isnt liquid cooled tho because i find it runs a lil to hot sometimes. Dont get me wrong though i like the z400 its a awsome quad but for me and where i ride i would pick the ex.

krt400ex
09-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by -copyguy-
I agree with that. I thought they had a shorter wheelbase, but it's actually a little longer than a 400ex 49" vs. 48.4". Seat height is the same...

I dunno what it is, but I just feel uncomfortable on a z400...maybe cuz it ain't red :D

they r the same height???? WOW....they feel really tall to me.

maybe it is 'cause they rn't red ;)

krt400ex
09-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by JPhonda
i own a 400ex and my friend has a z400. to me i would pick the 400ex any day. i like how you sit low one the ex it feels a lot more stable to me. Also i find that the z is dead on bottom end. And for woods riding bottom end is the best which is why i prefer the ex. Its to bad that the ex isnt liquid cooled tho because i find it runs a lil to hot sometimes. Dont get me wrong though i like the z400 its a awsome quad but for me and where i ride i would pick the ex.

ur right about no bottom end. i rode one that was piped, filtered, jetted, and it had the icat spark enhancer and it had the kind of power that went like this.......blaaaahhhahhh.....brap. no bottom end. it had this huge dead spot where it bogged. to me that sucks

pual0101
09-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
ur right about no bottom end. i rode one that was piped, filtered, jetted, and it had the icat spark enhancer and it had the kind of power that went like this.......blaaaahhhahhh.....brap. no bottom end. it had this huge dead spot where it bogged. to me that sucks

i had an 04 KFX that was piped and jetted only and it had plenty of low end power, especially compared to my uncles 05 EX
I dont know why the one you rode had that problem, but ive been hearing a lot of bout it, i guess mine was just tuned in right on

ilpadrino113
09-01-2006, 08:17 AM
both machines are nice, it's all preference, i chose the ex but i no beef with people who choose something else. To each his own i guess.

krt400ex
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by pual0101
i had an 04 KFX that was piped and jetted only and it had plenty of low end power, especially compared to my uncles 05 EX
I dont know why the one you rode had that problem, but ive been hearing a lot of bout it, i guess mine was just tuned in right on

i have yet to ride a machine that has more bottom end than the 400ex

bsjoe
09-01-2006, 09:37 AM
i have yet to ride a machine that has more bottom end than the 400ex

mine does ;D

well I rode my friends 400ex and I was at full throttle without noticeing it when I was letting the clutch out. The bike doesnt have a big rev band or what ever you call it. My 450 though you can almost pop out the clutch when its idling and it wont stall

firefighterjosh
09-01-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a 416ex far from stock elka longtravel and stuff and my GF has a KFX400 Yosh full and that is it. I feel more comfortable on the KFX then I do my 400. the KFX is tourqy maybe just the pipe but I like BOTH. If I had to choose between a KFX or 400ex with all the Long travel mods and stuff I would have chose the KFX.

The KFX is lquid cooled There really isn;t that much more mateince. Check you fluid take 2 Secs. needs more fluid that takes 5secs to fill. need to change your fluid that take 5 Mins.
oil Changes are exactly the same.

For my .02 a KFX400 is better then a 400 and I own a 400ex.

Also I am a Yami Fan so I am not Biased

Jakeyracer
09-01-2006, 10:11 AM

EVERYONE KNOWS YAMAHAS FIRST TARGET IS HONDA:rolleyes:

lol just kidding. i like the ltz/kfx/dvx almost as much as the 400ex but i have a '93 honda fourtrax 300 that does not have a single aftermarket product not even tires(starting to need them) that spells out reliability to me. THAT MAKES ME PROUND TO BE AN AMERI..... OOPS I MEAN HONDA RIDER:D .

firefighterjosh
09-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Jakeyracer
EVERYONE KNOWS YAMAHAS FIRST TARGET IS HONDA:rolleyes:

yes Yamaha and Honda Are rivals.

But remember I own a Honda and am Getting rid of the Yami lol.

400ex_rider13
09-01-2006, 10:28 AM
they r the same height???? WOW....they feel really tall to me.

maybe it is 'cause they rn't red ;)

yeah , i have a 400ex and my buddy has kfx 400 , his is way taller than mine , i can the difference just by looking at it . 400ex doesn't even look like 400 beside his kfx , but thats all different when we're riding , the only thing he can beat me in is a drag race , everything else we're even .

Honda4lyphe
09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Ride red you win. Paint your z400s and you win. jk lol, id prefer 400ex, simply because honda probably has the most reliable sport quads, but other manufactorers have their +'s and -'s too. I havnt rode a z400 but ive had a 400 ex for a few years now and i dont think i can go to anything else. Personally what ever you have, you think its the best you can get its simply that. Some people are like blasters are 100x better than a 300 ex, yeah i agree, when you arent wrenching it every other day. Theres honda haters, there suzuki haters, and all other company haters, no one can stop that theres always gonna be wars.

Live2Ride300
09-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Take 2 good riders, put on a bone stock z400, and one on a bone stock 400ex and throw them on a decent mx track.

The power delivery is roughly the same, the z might stay somewhat cooler. The handling and suspension will be close to the same.

It depends what your doing with the quad, if your just going to use it as a platform to build a race machine, your going to run into specific problems with each bike.

It's all about brand loyalty I think. But if your building a full out race machine out of a 400ex or z400 you would probably want liquid cooling.

PismoLocal
09-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I have a 416ex far from stock elka longtravel and stuff and my GF has a KFX400 Yosh full and that is it. I feel more comfortable on the KFX then I do my 400. the KFX is tourqy maybe just the pipe but I like BOTH. If I had to choose between a KFX or 400ex with all the Long travel mods and stuff I would have chose the KFX.

The KFX is lquid cooled There really isn;t that much more mateince. Check you fluid take 2 Secs. needs more fluid that takes 5secs to fill. need to change your fluid that take 5 Mins.
oil Changes are exactly the same.

For my .02 a KFX400 is better then a 400 and I own a 400ex.

Why would you rather have a kfx400 than a 416ex with longtravel. Your crazy, I would take a 400ex with long travel over a stock kfx anyday.

Quad Dude
09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
i am by far a huge fan of the honda but maybe thats just because i own one and it runs real good and loads of torque but i have a friend who has a 05 Z and i like it almost as much (i would never buy one but they are nice) the suspension is great better than the ex IMO but like others have said they toatly lack huge one the low end feels like the clutch is slippin all the time.

oh and the first time i rode it felt so smooth but i got the same feeling from a new 450r too so mabye its just a new bike feeling

krt400ex
09-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Quad Dude

oh and the first time i rode it felt so smooth but i got the same feeling from a new 450r too so mabye its just a new bike feeling

the 450ris really smooth in sock form

firefighterjosh
09-04-2006, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
Why would you rather have a kfx400 than a 416ex with longtravel. Your crazy, I would take a 400ex with long travel over a stock kfx anyday.

I guess I should have said if the 400ex and KFX were equal I would have choosen the KFX.
I raced both of them and I accually did better on the KFX all stock then the Longtravel 400ex. But I guess I am still working out the bugs on the 400ex.

cop292
09-04-2006, 07:53 AM
In my opinion, it comes down to riding style and ability as to which atv is the best. If you ride mx tracks vs. trails you may like one over the other. If you are a novice rider you may be faster and feel more comfortable on a 250ex than a 400ex, 250r,yfz, etc. How many times have we all seen where someone with little or no riding experience (or their parents) buy a tricked out 400 or 450 only to crash and total it on the first ride.

Just my.02

09-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Everyone thinks what they spent their $$$$ on is the best.

Otherwise they would have to admit they made a foolish purchase, and (you might then also say) they aren't that bright.

krt400ex
09-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by garandman
Everyone thinks what they spent their $$$$ on is the best.

Otherwise they would have to admit they made a foolish purchase, and (you might then also say) they aren't that bright.

that si not true, i bought a RM250 before buying the quads and it was a piece of $h!t!!! that is why i hate suzuki and i will admit that it was a stupid purchase.

09-04-2006, 02:13 PM
that si not true, i bought a RM250 before buying the quads and it was a piece of $h!t!!! that is why i hate suzuki and i will admit that it was a stupid purchase.

Under the category of "everyone" I was only including those who put down what you own and claim what they own is the best.

That's what I thought we were talking about.

ramoncito paez
09-05-2006, 12:03 AM
i think yfz450 & trx450r is the same,,,,2 me. my bro's friend has a yfz450 & races my bro on his trx450r. & they keep on each other's asses. but i'd get the trx450 cuz cheaper price,,,sorry 4 changin the subject a lil

trx400EXtreme
09-05-2006, 06:18 PM
ive ridden both, and personally, i dont think either one is better than the other when it comes to how it fells riding them, but i have had honda's my whole life and dont plan to give them up.

ramoncito paez
09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
yea me 2,
they really look bad *** 2 me. go get yur 07 trx 450r,if u r gettin the black 1 cuz those r gonna sell out quick,,,those look sick...

MisterEX
09-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Well you know what they say......Opinions are like a-holes. At any rate the EX was designed for sport trails riding, its F'in BULLET PROOF, Low maintenance, simple etc. Let me put it this way, I can afford any Quad I want, I can buy a much faster quad than my EX, but what good would it do for me? The EX will top out at around what...60-ish? My friends Banshees will do maybe 90ish. Well we ride trails here....it ranges from very rocky, sometimes loamy soil and always immersed in the trees. Now I urge you....go 90 in the trails....c'mon....try, I cant go ANYWHERE NEAR my top speed while riding. I'm very fast on my EX and I'm not doing over 40....in the woods. I have tons of bottom end and always use it. The EX does what it was designed to do...flawlessly, and it will be doing this far longer than high tech laden machines....why? Because the highest of high tech machines have tighter tolerances and the need for more diligent upkeep, the prescense of fluids etc....I'm also a mechanic....so I know this first hand.
The newer machines are beautifully designed well executed and all around very nice, they are more expensive and need more maintenance but this is the trade for higher performance. I spent 2 grand on my 00' EX and I never looked back....no issues, no problems of any kind...pure riding enjoyment. To each his own, like what you ride or get off it!

Buy the machine you need- to do the job you need to get done people. By the way my EX is also the "Rescue Quad" can't count how many times I have had to tow my buddies fickle 2 strokers out of the woods.....LOL.

Have fun riding people...

stic
09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
amen brother.
ive ridden the z.i liked it.would i buy one?no.ive ridden the artic cat 400.would i buy one?no.i did like it better than the z though.they all are nice quads.its all a matter of personal preference.not unlike ford,chevy,dodge...
my ex suits me fine.i love it.would i buy another?in a heartbeat.
guess im just a honda man.

krt400ex
09-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MisterEX
Well you know what they say......Opinions are like a-holes. At any rate the EX was designed for sport trails riding, its F'in BULLET PROOF, Low maintenance, simple etc. Let me put it this way, I can afford any Quad I want, I can buy a much faster quad than my EX, but what good would it do for me? The EX will top out at around what...60-ish? My friends Banshees will do maybe 90ish. Well we ride trails here....it ranges from very rocky, sometimes loamy soil and always immersed in the trees. Now I urge you....go 90 in the trails....c'mon....try, I cant go ANYWHERE NEAR my top speed while riding. I'm very fast on my EX and I'm not doing over 40....in the woods. I have tons of bottom end and always use it. The EX does what it was designed to do...flawlessly, and it will be doing this far longer than high tech laden machines....why? Because the highest of high tech machines have tighter tolerances and the need for more diligent upkeep, the prescense of fluids etc....I'm also a mechanic....so I know this first hand.
The newer machines are beautifully designed well executed and all around very nice, they are more expensive and need more maintenance but this is the trade for higher performance. I spent 2 grand on my 00' EX and I never looked back....no issues, no problems of any kind...pure riding enjoyment. To each his own, like what you ride or get off it!

Buy the machine you need- to do the job you need to get done people. By the way my EX is also the "Rescue Quad" can't count how many times I have had to tow my buddies fickle 2 strokers out of the woods.....LOL.

Have fun riding people...

well put. i agree 100%

anderson3064
09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
:devil: this is a simple question, honda people are riders, all the rest are mechanics:D

CHEVYZ
09-12-2006, 07:54 PM
The EX was built at a time when it rocked the competition. The only bikes that could top the EX were either not produced any longer, or weren't in its "Class". Sure, there are alot of bikes now that have come across and topped the 400EX in performance, but if performance was there main goal in mind with the EX, don't you think they would have updated it to what could be considered modern specs? That was why they made the 450r. To be honest, I could care less if people want to hate on my quad. I know what it is and don't try to make it out to be what it is not. At the end of the day, I am STILL happy that I bought an EX.

nitro_nb
09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
You know I have both a KFX400 and a 400EX. I am just as happy with the EX as theKFX. Sure one is lighter and liquid cooled, but I feel I get the same performance out of both of them. After you change some gearing and exhaust, but still the same enjoyment. But the funny thing is that I paid $3800 for an 04 KFX and $700 for the 01 EX with a little bit of rebuilding I got the same results out of both of them in the sand or the trails. I can't say I like one or the other better, but I do alot less maitenace on the EX.