PDA

View Full Version : hmf smoke??

powderider87
08-31-2006, 06:19 AM
WEll, i just put on my hmf pipe and now it smokes black smoke pretty bad, i havent ridden it yet casue its so damn loud my dad got kinda mad. haha. but i used the dynojet kit and did it according to their suggestions and adjusted the air screw also. i was told that the smoke might just be becasue of the new pipe and the packing is burning or something? i will ride it today after work and tell you if the power is there and if there is any bogging. Thanks guys.

Chin_Chilla
08-31-2006, 07:24 AM
hmf for ya...shoulda gone with Curtis Sparks

400exstud
08-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Black smoke = fuel. You are jetted too rich.

firefighterjosh
08-31-2006, 07:50 AM
My friends HMF blew some black smoke for about the first hour if that. See if it clears up. if not you might be running Rich.

rooster300ex
08-31-2006, 08:37 AM
Did it black smoke just idiling, or blipping the throttle to hear the pipe. Mine does that when I first start it up when I rev it up. But once its warmed up it doens't do it.

Iliketogofast
08-31-2006, 09:07 AM
I think most new pipes smoke when you first put them on because they are oiled or something on the inside. Mine did for a ride or two after I got it, but I don't remember if the smoke was white or black.

krt400ex
08-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
I think most new pipes smoke when you first put them on because they are oiled or something on the inside. Mine did for a ride or two after I got it, but I don't remember if the smoke was white or black.

yup, most manufacturers oil the inside of the pipes so that they will not rust or corrode if they sit on the shelf for a while.

if it doesn't stop smoking sfter 2 or 3 rides then u will need to lean out ur jetting

powderider87
08-31-2006, 12:19 PM
ok guys thanks a lot. im going up north this weekend to go riding so ill let you know whats up ill ride it around tonight by my house and see what happens and how the power feels. thanks for the info. but yes it smokes black smoke at idle to

rooster300ex
08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I think your rich if its black smoking at idle. Oil inside of a pipe would probably burn white or blue if its oil.

krt400ex
09-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
I think your rich if its black smoking at idle. Oil inside of a pipe would probably burn white or blue if its oil.

not it would be black. that is how it was on my 300ex

powderider87
09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
well i called up hmf and they said to take out the dynojet jets and put it back to stock. so thats what i did and now it works great. but kinda wanted to have the dynojets in but oh well. thanks for the info tho guys.

rooster300ex
09-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by powderider87
well i called up hmf and they said to take out the dynojet jets and put it back to stock. so thats what i did and now it works great. but kinda wanted to have the dynojets in but oh well. thanks for the info tho guys.

What is the reason of getting an aftermarket more free flowing pipe if you don't rejet for more power????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????? If you have a dynojet kit i would play with them until it runs good & doesn't black smoke.

powderider87
09-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Ok well i called up hmf again and got someone else this time. the guy said that i need a bigger jet then becasue i messed with it some more but all it did was backfire a lot all over the rpm range. well now i got a 175 main jet in they said i either need a 175 or 170 main. well i put the 175 on and not it runs good till i get up to the top rpm range where if i get close to redline and let off the gas it backfires loud. otherwise the rest of the rpm range is good. what does that tell me then when it backfires up top?