PDA

View Full Version : jetting

rmooney21
08-30-2006, 09:40 PM
i just recently added a stage two hot cam and weisco 11.5-1 piston and i cant get it to run right. before i had a 182 main jet 50 pilet and stock needle setting and it ran awsome but after the cam and piston it lean pops and bogs on the top end. i moved the needle clip to the seccond to bottom clip and it still does it i tried a 195 main and it boggs even more on the top end, and still pops ive tried a lot of jetting combos.

GPracer2500
08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Try going the other direction. Higher compression usually wants leaner jetting, not richer. It generally not a drastic change but if you were a little rich before the piston might have pushed you over the edge.

rmooney21
08-30-2006, 10:17 PM
could the popping be because its too rich

rmooney21
08-30-2006, 10:19 PM
and how many turns should the air fuel mixture be turned out

GPracer2500
08-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Popping when exactly?

Anytime the engine is too lean or too rich it may missfire and missfires can manifest themselves in a variety of ways. It's hard to pin down that a "bog" means this, a "pop" means that, and a "studder" means something else. A pop usually indicates leaness but I'm if you went up to a 195 without an improvement in the rough running then I'm thinking you're too rich.

The best way to figure out what's what is to test. You went richer (hopefully not in one big jump) and it got worse. So, you need to go the other way and see how it reacts.

There's a post in the "How To" section that details how to determine the correct pilot jet and how to set your fuel screw.

rmooney21
08-31-2006, 07:04 AM
in any gear i can go full throttle untill it boggs at the top end almost like a newer chevy truck at 100 mph and then wheni let off it pops

thanks for the help