View Full Version : Aluminum Brake Stay?

stocktires
08-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I was wondering, what is the reason you can't run a tapered bearing carrier and an aluminum brake stay? I always see that

matt250r21
08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Tapered carriers have a larger bearing than the twin row carriers. Outer diameter of the tappered carrier is larger so the aftermarket brake stays will not fit. You can make it fit if you take the stay and carrier to a machinest with a mill.

stocktires
08-31-2006, 08:15 AM
So what on the aluminum stay will actuallly have to be milled, the entire piece to be made thinner? I have access to a machine shop so that's no problem. Will the stay be strong after its millled

danbobsR
08-31-2006, 10:26 AM
the hole will have to made larger I got one once by accident and I didnt know what was wrong. the guy I got it from said it must be for a tapered carrier he sent me the right one and fit nice and snug.

atvmxr
08-31-2006, 11:45 AM
i dont understand why the stock brake stay would fit and an aftermarket one wouldnt, or does the tapered come with its own brake stay (which then should be an aftermarket one anyway :D )

Dave83
08-31-2006, 12:39 PM
My RPM tapered carrier came with the stay,even tho it was for a 400EX.I just enlarged an aluminum one I had to work on my R.

stocktires
08-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Dave83
My RPM tapered carrier came with the stay,even tho it was for a 400EX.I just enlarged an aluminum one I had to work on my R.

You just enlarged the hole? I have an RPM too on my R chassis.

stocktires
09-02-2006, 02:36 PM
bump

BLACKeR
09-02-2006, 09:58 PM
the tapered bearing carriers have a larger diameter where the break stay goes on. tapered carriers i have had came with the right stay. if you felt there was still enough metal left on the smaller stay if you were to machine it to fit the tapered carrier i dont think it would be a big issue. you would just have to enlarge the inside diameter of your twin row break stay to fit the outside diameter of your tapered carrier.

stocktires
09-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
the tapered bearing carriers have a larger diameter where the break stay goes on. tapered carriers i have had came with the right stay. if you felt there was still enough metal left on the smaller stay if you were to machine it to fit the tapered carrier i dont think it would be a big issue. you would just have to enlarge the inside diameter of your twin row break stay to fit the outside diameter of your tapered carrier.

Thanx, Thats everything I need to know!

Dave83
09-04-2006, 11:15 AM
My tapered carrier was shipped with a stay that was for a 400EX.Since I didnt have time to wait on the right one,I took an aluminum one off my other carrier and went at it with a dremel tool.I took the stay that went to the tapered carrier and laid it over the other one for a pattern.Came out good.