PDA

View Full Version : Checking Oil...

mansonclubpuir
08-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Okay i just got my 400ex back from the first service last week. He told me to run the quad at idle for 5 minutes... turn off... check the oil buy unscrewing the dipstick wipe and dip back in then i should have an accurat reading. Well i did that and it is not reading AT ALL. i'm assuming this means i have NO oil which means my motor is being destroyed...thank goodness i'm under warrenty still. keep in mind i've only rode for maybe 4 hours since i got it back from service so i should have oil.

When the quad is cold shouldn't i still be able to get a reading on the low part of the stick too? Need some advice please ADVISE :D

AtvMxRider
08-28-2002, 01:41 PM
After you shut it off let it sit for a minute or two before you check it. if there still is no oil showing take it back to the dealer and raise H***.Yes you should have a reading even cold.

brian400ex
08-28-2002, 05:52 PM
Do exactly what the dealer told you. That is the correct way to check the oil. If it doesn't show on the dipstick then you have a problem.

own2424
08-28-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by brian400ex
Do exactly what the dealer told you. That is the correct way to check the oil. If it doesn't show on the dipstick then you have a problem.

Yea, if you dont see any oil on the dipstick, there IS a problem! Call them back and ask them what they did to it! Did they forget to add enough oil or what? Good Luck!

yamaha1470
08-29-2002, 07:29 AM
when cold it should be about halfway between full and low and when u warm it up it should be right under the full.

00Red400EX
08-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Exactly what yamaha1470 said.

--Josh

300exryder
08-31-2002, 01:40 PM
Are you sure that you are chacing the oil on a nice flat surface?? Even still...you should be getting something on it.

OT -- how much oil do you put in a 300ex for an oil change?? the manual says something like 1.67 quarts but i put in an even 2 and it is between the high and low marks after i warm it up.

jwisniew
09-01-2002, 10:08 PM
should i change my oil filter evry time i change my oil?

yamaha1470
09-02-2002, 08:51 AM
yes

09-02-2002, 09:02 AM
jwisniew: yes, never just change the oil, it is just wasting your time if you don't change the filter too. Oil is too vital to four strokes to shut the door on a filter and oil change.

Now, regarding mansonclubpuir, try draining the oil and filling old oil bottles up with the oil to see how much you have, just to make sure. Then, of course re-fill it with the correct amount of oil so you know that you have enough oil. I think changing the oil filter for you is optional since you just had it replaced (I assume) with your service.
Hope it helps.

DantheEXman
09-03-2002, 05:15 PM
what happnes if u check the oil after it is run for five minutes and u onlu have the oil inbetween the full and low mark!!! please respond? this is inportant. can this hurt my ex to only have my resivoir fulled up half way? PLEASE RESPOND!!!

yamaha1470
09-04-2002, 01:45 PM
if its in the middle add more.

mansonclubpuir
09-05-2002, 10:59 AM
well i brought the quad to the dealer after i called the warranty department. They told me if i was out of oil within 4 hours of use something is REALLY wrong. So i brought it back to the dealer and we'll see what happens. I've already called an attorney and if they try to stick me with a bill saying it was something i did they void there own warranty somehow. So i have a case... I just hope my dealer does his job and fixes my machine so i don't have to sue the crap out of him :D

the dealer i go to is Columbia Honda Bert Ive's and Sons just incase you wanted to know. Personally i don't think i'll due business with Honda after the Headaches of my machine and my friends. He is already in court with the same problem.

Anyone else have a problem like this? If there are enough people that this is happening to Honda has to issue a recall. Speak up if you do.

Doibugu2
09-05-2002, 11:03 AM
The fact your quad did not have any oil in it, is not a Honda issue, but a Dealer issue. The quad comes to the dealer with no fluids. Its the responsibility of the dealer to make sure the fluids are full. Just thought I would let you know. Sorry about your problems though.

mansonclubpuir
09-05-2002, 12:03 PM
well i know that... i got the quad back from 1st service and this is what happened.

2002_300_EX
09-05-2002, 07:42 PM
mine came with a little bit of oil in it and it didnt come out on the dipstick but the dealer told me before i run it...to put more in

mansonclubpuir
09-06-2002, 09:09 AM
i would have done that, but after 4 hours of use there was no oil in the machine. have at least 70 hours on the machine total and oil wasn't a problem until i took it to my first service. After i got it back it wouldn't idle correctly and then no oil after 4 hours! thats why i brought it back.

TRX_Thumper
09-06-2002, 03:58 PM
i would bet money the dealership was doin your service and put a new oil filter in it except they put it in backwards which on a honda will block oil flow to the top end...they prolly burnt your top end up .....and it has smoked all the oil from the crankcase out by blowby from the rings

mansonclubpuir
09-10-2002, 10:06 AM
never would have thought of that... interesting thanks for the comment thumper.:D