PDA

View Full Version : Best 450 for extreme trail riding

700bRad
08-30-2006, 06:29 PM
I know you guys see these posts all the time but I want a straight forward answer. Im looking to buy another 450. I love my 700r and will probably keep it, but I also want something that I can powerslide easy like I could my YFZ. I was wondering what in your opinion is the best 450 for hillshooting and extreme trail riding. Right now im leaning toward the LTR-450 If I get one ill put 20's on the back so no need to worry about the height problem. How does the 450r perform in trails? I hear there a tad tall. Also how are they with climbing hills. Will I be dissapointed with the torque since im used to the 700r torque monster? This will probably be a very biased thread but I just need some more info on the 450r in the woods.

rlplive
08-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Me and my friend Juston rip through the woods on our 450's man. We climb the hell out of hills too. I would not get the suz 450 for trails, that thing is just too wide in my opinion. As far as the yfz you have more experience with that because you owned one. Anyway good luck with your decision

700bRad
08-30-2006, 06:39 PM
What I didnt like about the YFZ450 is the throttle lag and it was a low end dog compared to my 700r. Ive been thinking very hard the past couple weeks about which 450 I should get. Im very confused and cant make up my mind. One of the reasons why im leaning toward the ltr is because fuel injection, the 700r has spoiled me with fuel injection and I dont want to be dissapointed with carberation. Still if the 450r is the superior trail machine then I could trade fuel injection for better woods performance. I just wish I could make up my mind because ive been through 3 brand new quads in the past year. Im comfortable on my 700r but I sat on an LTR the other day and it just felt so right. Damn this sux.

450raider
08-30-2006, 06:53 PM
dude, you might wanna look into one of those ktm outlaw things when they come out. but i take my R out on trails and not have many problems (exept the kicker gets a little old and tiring but thats another story:D)

ghott
08-30-2006, 06:53 PM
LT-R is geared for MX. Its low and very wide for a reason.

Out of the box, it isn't a speed machine either, but it doesn't take much to "Un-cork" it.

YFZ & TRX are very much alike in terms of power. I believe the TRX is a little more torquey however.

I own both a 2005 YFZ & a 2005 450R and I take the 450R on every trip. Why? Because its much more ergonomically comfortable. I'm a big guy. 6'5". And the R is suited better for larger riders.

Carburetion can be a little frustrating, but once you learn how to change jets, its a cinch. I feel like I can change a jet on either the YFZ or TRX with my eyes closed and one arm tied behind my back.

Once you upgrade an LT-R so much, the fuel injection system needs to be remapped (computer crap), and bigger injectors will be needed...that could become very costly.

Sit on both quads. Find some friends who own them. Take them for a ride and see which one you like the best. Don't let someone else make YOUR decision. Think it thru before rushing into a $7000 quad.

woodsman250r
08-30-2006, 08:55 PM
What exactly is "extreme" trail riding?

08-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ghott

Carburetion can be a little frustrating, but once you learn how to change jets, its a cinch. I feel like I can change a jet on either the YFZ or TRX with my eyes closed and one arm tied behind my back.

changing a jet is the easy part. knowing which way to go (up or down) and which jet to change (main, pilot, leak, etc.) is the hard part. not to mention removing the damn gas tank to do a spark plug check. that's freaking gay.

MXracer16
08-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Once you upgrade an LT-R so much, the fuel injection system needs to be remapped (computer crap), and bigger injectors will be needed...that could become very costly.

Since when do you need "bigger injectors" on it when you upgrade it? All you need is an EFI tuner.

ghott
08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MXracer16
Since when do you need "bigger injectors" on it when you upgrade it? All you need is an EFI tuner.

I've heard around that people are already maxing out LT-R's because of the injector size. I don't know, its just second-hand information. I do not own an LT-R, nor do I claim to own an LT-R. But why wouldn't a fuel injected engine need larger injectors? What happens when you need more fuel into a fuel injected engine? You need larger injectors. And can ya speculate on how much an "EFI Tuner" will run an average joe?

700bRad
08-31-2006, 03:53 PM
An EFI tuner for my 700r is around $200. Extreme trail riding is exactly what the name says, in Indiana thats what we do, go balls to the wall if ya cant keep up then cya later, if im gonna shoot this hill and ur to chicken then cya later. Its basically GNCC just not as long and takes alot more skill. We are the guys that challenge the dealship sponsored guys, and usually they cant hang with my riding group. By the way I road an HRC 450r the other day and loved it. My buddy has a twist throttle on it and that was a downer. But other then that the handling and power made up for it. Seriously still thinking about it. I have a 2007 Raptor SE coming in to the dealer next week, and am definetely thinking about picking up a 450r while im there.

ghott
08-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 700bRad
An EFI tuner for my 700r is around $200.

Thats not bad at all!

DirtDevilBT
08-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Don't know about the ltr much but bigger injectors might be needed down the road. I've switched some on a 1500 and s10 chevy before when the limit has been hit. It's possible with a big bore stroker but I would think the injector could keep. Or if you go NOS, a larger one might be needed. Again, don't know.

Cash to cash the ltr will give you a lot. I might however to more than needed. Meaning, the bike is wide, but not longtravel, so shocks are just as good as the R. The axle is nice too, but depending on the trails it and the arms might be too wide. There are manufacturers out there making -1,2" arms.

adinocr7
09-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I finally got my 06' Honda TRX450 dialed in (needed a little work on the jetting). Its got great low end and a sick mid range. I do nothing but aggressive trail riding. Its also extremely easy to work on and OEM and after market parts are very well priced. The machine really screams. Mine is bone stock (minus the baffle, airbox snorkel removed and some needle / jetting work). I can run neck and neck with my buddies 06' YFZ and he has a full exhaust, cam and everything is jetted to spec. I'd highly recommend the Honda.

GIXXER1KR
09-04-2006, 09:34 PM
All mud and trails!!!!And love it!!!

GIXXER1KR
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Another of the +2 and its fine that way!!!

09-05-2006, 09:47 AM
how are the mudlites holding up??

Bigun55
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
How does that yoshi pipe work out for you?

adinocr7
09-05-2006, 11:51 AM
GIXXER1KR:

Thats one bad @@s looking machine. Love the black. I've got the red plastic; but I'll be purchasing a set of black for the ice this winter . . . that is if we're even lucky enough to have our lakes freeze over.

GIXXER1KR
09-05-2006, 06:42 PM
The Mudlites hold up well.I only use them when i am expecting a ton of mud.Mainly after a nice rainstorm.I am currently running XCR's all the way around and i love the Yosh.I do have the HRC header though!!!