PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys convince yourself to just hit it?

HondaATC500X
08-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I use to have no fear...but a few accidents (and one foot peg broken clean off) later I find myself having a real hard time to just line up with the take off and nailing it. When I do finally hit it I'm real tense and I dont feel like I'm doing it "right". I feel like I can still control myself pretty good, its just I have sort of "this doesnt seem right" type feeling. I havent had a nice clean, wooo leme turn around and hit that mofo again feeling in a while :(

CHEVYZ
08-30-2006, 06:03 PM
"How do you guys convince yourself to just hit it?"

Well, first I get really drunk. Then..... :blah:

LOL J/K. Usually I just try not to think to hard about it. Just think about how cool it will be to have done it, and go for it.

motox450
08-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately I thinks its mostly in confidence. I watch a guy do the jump a couple times and then I am really amped up and just hit it. If I don't make it I go back and do it again. I am one of those guys that if I don't make it I have to do it again to prove to myself I can. It's weird but I don't ever really get nervous when I hit a new big jump. But like I said I think its all in confidence. I would just work up to where you are comfortable and keep working on it. Hope this helps.

rlplive
08-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Well I usually wait for my buddy to hit it then i follow him like a blind sheep lol.

hillclimbingrec
08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
that right there ^^^^^ is what i USALLY do,like going up steep hills or somethin,well first i look at the jump,make sure there is nothing i am going to land on or could land on,then i hit it slow a couple times and get the feel of it,then a little faster,then once i get kinda good with it...................floor it!!!!!!then you catch major air and look good doin it to!!!lol!!

allstock
08-31-2006, 09:01 PM
what i usually do is hit it as soon as i can like after i build it or see it i would hit it before i would start to actually think about it because when i think of what could happen it makes me wimp out

KTM265
08-31-2006, 09:21 PM
I start out small...check the jump out, hopping it...then just add a little more throttle each time...after a few times I just go ahead and let it fly...Last weekend I was jumping this 20-25 foot table top and started doing tail whips on my KFX 700...

KTM265
08-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Another view...

KTM265
08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Table tops are the best jumps to learn on...don't have to worry about coming up short...

EngelstadFQX
09-01-2006, 11:09 AM
i usually say a little prayer in my head, ask Kelly to watch over me and I don't think about it too hard....just go for it after a few test runs.

firefighterjosh
09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I just close me eyes and hang on for dear life!:(

JJ I am still learning to jump myself. I have learned start small and just do it. Ussually after you do it once, it isn't that bad.

flyin#5
09-01-2006, 02:13 PM
im usually the crash test dummy and hit most everything first. i like to jump in the middle of doubles first just to feel how it will throw you... then its just an estimated guess on how fast to go. its a skill you have to build... and when you crash hard its one you will probably have to build back up. like someone said.. you need to have confidence in yourself. when i crash, i get up and go at it again if its possible because i know if i stop after i crash... it will be hard to hit the next time.

rooster300ex
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Thats how I am since I sprang my ankle real bad. I use to just hit a jump easy then get faster and faster, but this last time I was jumping I got alil sideways in the air and it landed hard and my left foot came off the peg and under the left rear tire. Now I feel tense even if I barely get any air. When is it gonna sling me sideways in the air again you know.

trost66
09-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Just remember you would rather go to far than come up short.

fastyz85
09-01-2006, 10:37 PM
when in doubt floor it.lol:devil: but seriously i used to be the wuss out of my friends always the last to hit the jump and always affraid. now everytime i find a bigger better jump and i'm about to hit it for the first time i just think of before and how i don't want to wimp out and that helps me break the fear.plus like everyone else said just try not to think to hard about it or it will psyche u out.

HondaATC500X
09-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys...I guess the main thing is to just quit thinking about it and hit it and pray for the best. I'm a firm believer in overshooting then coming up short but thats how my last little get off happened. Overshot a 40ft double by about 15ft and nosedived. I went over the bars (didn't fall off though) and my helmet broke the headlight out. Bunch of bruises and a few scrapes but no broken bones luckily since I was wearing a chest protector.

alaskin 450R
09-02-2006, 12:06 PM
hey man good luck, and just think of it this way. you only live once so LIVE IT UP hahahah. have fun

HtFoxChick
09-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm glad you brought this topic up because we've had a couple guys in this exact situation and it has to happen to every rider at some point. It is "all in the head....." getting over that fear and hump.....I hope Derek reads this and maybe he can explain how he's done it. He's had some "good" spills himself....but somehow he always comes back....better than ever....but it is, how you prepare yourself and trust your judgement again.

Honda4lyphe
09-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Think to yourself, theres no turning back. And just floor it and do it :D

bluebaron
09-04-2006, 05:05 PM
If its a decent size double just follow some one up it

korniev
09-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Yeh it is very cool you brought this topic up. The only way to hit a jump is to think about what exactly you have to do before, while and after the jump and than just do it and do not Think about it cause if you think too much you'll never do it.

MX MaNiAc 06
09-05-2006, 05:54 AM
At Breezewood i came and said i would do the big uphill jump by the end of the day. Well the end of the day showed up and i hadnt hit it yet. I kept going a little furthur each time. Then the one time i landed i told myself i was doing it the next lap. Every jump i did and every corner i went into i was just saying to myself "ur doing that jump this lap" Im going into the corner to it 4th gear pinned just thinking dont let off. I never let off hitting the damn thing 4th gear pinned. It felt like i was never gonna land i was so high! But i landed perfectly on the sweet spot of the landing. Every lap after that i hit it. I am really glad i didnt puss out because it was the best jump ive ever hit!

gbcap
09-05-2006, 07:29 AM
just don't let off.

i finally hit the two big jumps at breezwood. the uphill 65ft and the connecting 80ft table top. i honestly just put it out of my mind and railed the corner before it and never lifted.

and of course i hurt my hand on a small 4 5ft table....ended my weekend. :mad:

KTM265
09-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Another common mistake is to chop the throttle...you lose your nerve and chop the throttle on the face of the jump. About 10 feet before the ramp up is the point of no return...after that you need to throttle up, stand up and let it fly...chopping the throttle is a sure way to get hurt because the front of your quad will dive.

csr250r
09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
i just roll it a few times(if possible), if some of my friends are hitting it i see what speed there at... then i just go till the point of no return and i remeber that casing sucks so i better go for it.

ls1huntr
09-07-2006, 06:16 AM
I just line it up and go for it. Sometimes with wreckless abandon. Now I will see if I do the same next time I ride considering Im in a sling for getting thrashed. Sprained shoulder, bruised hip and pelvis.

Hell it could be worse u know:devil:

Ill be back in the game next weekend

09-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Drink a few monsters, rev it up and get phsyced....just pretend theres a whole cheerleading squad waiting for you on the other side....that works for me :blah:

tmoney
09-08-2006, 08:26 PM
You just got to convince yourself that when you get in the air you will know what to do and land correctly. Mess with it for a while then go for it way faster than you should because you would rather over jump than under jump. Also everytime I hit a new jump I think about it every lap and then I get tired of it and say wtf and go for it after that there is no turning back.

MX MaNiAc 06
09-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
just don't let off.

i finally hit the two big jumps at breezwood. the uphill 65ft and the connecting 80ft table top. i honestly just put it out of my mind and railed the corner before it and never lifted.

and of course i hurt my hand on a small 4 5ft table....ended my weekend. :mad:

How fast do u hit that 80 footer? The same lap i landed th 65 i was gonna go for it but i figured id be pushing my luck. :devil: Next time for sure.

YFZ133
09-11-2006, 07:00 AM
OK MANIAC, YEAH U HAD THAT UPHILL DOWN BY THE END OF THE DAY , I SAW YA , THATS WHAT IT TAKES PUMP UR SELF UP!!!!THEN NAIL IT WITHOUT THINKIN!:D FEELS GOOD !!!! :macho

8my_Cash
09-14-2006, 09:38 AM
just remember casing hurts more than overclearing, with that in mind you dont screw up haha

Mxjunkie
09-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I had a really bad crash about 3-4 years ago and I havent been able to really jump since then... I was racing and I didnt have enough speed for a double but I went for it anyways and I nose dived into the landing and my quad crushed me, I shattered my knee and broke my tail bone :ermm:

I just tell my self pain is temporary and just go for it usually.. I still wont hit doubles it doesnt matter if it's 10ft to 15ft I wont do it.. I'll hit a 65ft step up to a 60ft table etc but I wont touch doubles kinda sucks how do you guys go about hitting doubles?

JRDrider22
09-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Im put it in a factor that if your in 2nd place and your not doing all the jumps, your not gaining any room on 1st.

Im totally different compared to Josh. With doubles it hits me as go all out to clear than son of a gun. With tables it takes me a little more time. I've always been scared to case tables because ive had my back end flip over me before.

But doubles, its nothing to me but hit it faster!

And its also head games as well :devil: