PDA

View Full Version : its almost done got a few questions

custom R
08-30-2006, 05:57 PM
here's my 86 I rebuilt over the last few months Im just about done with just looking for some suggestions on what else i should do with the motor I have a fmf pipe pro design cool head 23 cc dome & reed spacer, roost boost, 38 air striker carb,K & N air filter alum air box with no lid

What do you guys suggest for a reed valve & reeds and what type of porting for all around riding

Im thinking of putting on a LA sleve 310 kit but im not sure of the reliability of the big bores

what front shocks work the best with stock width a arms

she looks good and rips hard but just lookin for a little more power , this is my first R so what do ya guys think

Roadkill67
08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Nice R,V-force 2 reeds and cage are good..look on ebay there's a new set for a buy it now of 135.00.I'm running a 310 kit and other than running alittle hotter I've had no issues.06 TRX450r for shocks are good and will work fine with your stock a-arms.

custom R
08-30-2006, 06:35 PM
I heard the 450 shocks make sit tall in the front and are a little stiff with the stock arms

wykyd z400
08-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Sweet R!!

Eddiesanders250
08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I cant tell by this pic but do you have the stock radiator? If you do you can put in line coolers other wise i wouldnt worry about it overheating..

Aceman
08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
I run an LA sleeve 310 kit. As long as your radiator is clean and without a ton of bent fins you should be fine. I've had no problems. I actually just made my own temp gauge/inline cooler and it only got up to 150 degrees. I wasn't working the engine very hard though, I was just making a few passes through a field with it.

custom R
08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
I do have the stock rad and I also have a inline cooler with temp guage it runs between 160 and 190 with the stock cyl so I think im ok there

Is it worth going to the 310 or should i stay with the stock cyl and some good porting

Lonestar_R
08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I had V Force 2 reeds and I like them but then wen I sucked them in I tried the V Force 3's and those were just as good if not better......they seemed a little smoother than the 2's.....you can get the 3's from Magic Racing for like 119 I think

Aceman
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I can't answer that, I bought my R with the 310 kit with stock porting. It's mostly topend but it goes like hell. When I get it ported more for midrange that's when it'll really shine. I've seen some good HP numbers from quality ported stock cylinders but if it was me, a 310 kit with a good port would be my choice.

Lonestar_R
08-30-2006, 07:57 PM
I had a stock cylinder bored 60 over and a 4mm stroker crank with a really good port job for midrange and woods riding....it was a monster....its just hard to beat a good port job on stock cylinder....and its alot cheaper too

custom R
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
thats kinda what I was thinking the 310 with good port & polish should fly and still be pretty reliable Im good about keeping up with maint and makeing sure everythings in good shape so I dont think I'll have many problems

custom R
08-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Lonestar r who did your port job

custom R
08-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Would I have to run race gas if I go with the 310 kit

Lonestar_R
08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
I bought the quad from a friend that had it done....all I know is that his name is John......he messes with a little of everything 2 and 4 strokes but perfers 2 strokes....I can see if I can't get his full name and phone number if you would like.....this guy is drag racing a 250R with a 380 kit in a stock cylinder...he's using KTM parts in a Honda motor to get the big bore out of it......this is what I have heard from my friend......a guy called Trailmaster has my old engine out of my R now....pm him and see what he thinks of it....that way it can give you 2 opinions on the same motor

custom R
08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
thats cool if you have the name and number if not no big deal thanks for the help by the way

So you think the stock jug with good portings the way to go

stocktires
08-30-2006, 09:03 PM
I'd go stock jug with porting personally, But I've never dealt with a big bore. A 310 will put more stress on the bottom end (that would be bad if yours isn't fresh).
Get like a 20cc dome for that cool head, I had a 19cc but i never ran it on pump gas. 23cc is like stock compression. Take off the roost boost and sell it on ebay. I had the CR250 set-up on my reed cage and would definatley advise that for MX style power.

custom R
08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
what would the 20 cc dome put me at as far as comp whats wrong with roost boost and what year cr reed cage should I get and do you run the stock cr reeds or stock cage and aftermarket cr reeds

stocktires
08-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by custom R
what would the 20 cc dome put me at as far as comp whats wrong with roost boost and what year cr reed cage should I get and do you run the stock cr reeds or stock cage and aftermarket cr reeds

OEM CR250 Reeds and cage, Call ESR to find exact year. I would think a 20cc would be fine for 93 pump, if not, throw in some octane booster.

smoxy
08-31-2006, 06:42 AM
What's wrong with Roost Boost? Dude, that's so 80's! I can't believe Answer is still making them! It's just a gimmick to steal your money! They claim it cleans up your spark, but there's no h.p. gains with that. Your stock spark should be fine! If you do have weak spark, you need to replace things like a plug, wire, coil, etc. I had one of these things on a Blaster that I had back in 1990. It didn't do anything for it especially since it was new and the spark was just fine! Since then I've not heard of anyone making claims of increased performance with them. Now maybe someone has! Just my 2 cents!