PDA

View Full Version : what is your dyno jet kit set as.

400excaleb
08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
i cant get it running right, the plug looks good but still is not running good. what jet are you using, what is the needle set on, and what is the fuel mixure screw set at. and any thing else i need to do.
Will it affect that i got a 42 pilot jet in it, when it says not to put one in it.
please help

redexrider
08-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Mine is set at 3rd notch on needle, 160 main, and 3 turns out on screw. The pilot jet only deals with the idle for the most part, it shouldn't have any affect on the dyno kit.

F-16Guy
08-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Changing the pilot will have little or no effect on your Dyno Jet kit. I would go with a 40 pilot. Follow the directions for the Stage 1 jetting for your altitude; Stage 2 is way too rich for anything but a heavily modified race engine. I have a mildly built 416 with a K&N filter, WB E-Series slip-on, and a vented airbox, and I'm running a DJ 155 main, 42 pilot (which I think is a little rich, but it starts good), fuel screw 2 turns out, and the DJ needle with the clip in 3rd groove from the top. Runs like a raped ape!:macho

Def-e-nition
09-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Follow the directions for the Stage 1 jetting for your altitude; Stage 2 is way too rich for anything but a heavily modified race engine. I have a mildly built 416 with a K&N filter, WB E-Series slip-on, and a vented airbox, and I'm running a DJ 155 main, 42 pilot (which I think is a little rich, but it starts good), fuel screw 2 turns out, and the DJ needle with the clip in 3rd groove from the top. Runs like a raped ape!:macho

Agreed to that .

I also thought I could run 170 main - Turns out the 155 was what I needed On my bike , nowhere near what the instructiions recommended .

flauge
09-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Yea i agree too. i used to run a 165 dj with no lid and an e series. i did a plug check and it was running wayy rich.. Now ive got my stock pipe back on and i just got done putting in a 142dj. But whats funny tho is that the instructions say to use a 165dj with a stock pipe w/ no lid. That sounds just a little bit rich:huh

Def-e-nition
09-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by flauge
Yea i agree too. i used to run a 165 dj with no lid and an e series. i did a plug check and it was running wayy rich.. Now ive got my stock pipe back on and i just got done putting in a 142dj. But whats funny tho is that the instructions say to use a 165dj with a stock pipe w/ no lid. That sounds just a little bit rich:huh

Yip . I spoke to some Mike Cory guy from Dynojet . He reckons the kits are done so for two reasons mainly , 1 to prevent getting sued for running too lean , and 2 , If a guy starts modding the bike after he bought the jet kit : 170 main no lid coast will allow you to modify pretty drastically before the bike starts running lean .
So , us normal weekend riders install the kit , and it runs too rich until we start modding the bike full-on . More than one person on this site is indeed running 170 , but how they do it without the air/fuel reading not being way out at the coast even , is a mystery to me . I noticed that no matter what jet size you stuck in it , it still managed to run !! from 146 , to 165 , I felt a power difference through all of them , but it never sputtered or stopped , just used more fuel .

Then friday I dyno'ed the bike , at sea level , and the guy sticks in a 155 , just like the above poster mentioned , and said it would work oklike that . No mention was made about lid off 170 , so I asked , and he said 170 would be a little rich , I could use 165 lid off , but for races . He reckoned that for weekend bashing , leave the lid on with the drilled holes , which sounds wierd , but we ride plenty water sometimes , so i used an old stocking over the lid , and that allows air in , without the mucky junk going in . I also expected way too much power increase with just a jet change , but Id sooner have the quad running properly , at the correct fuel air mixture , than run it rich for more power and risk doing something stupid to the engine . Too rich can almost be as bad as too lean : it cleans up all the extra oil lying around in the motor , which is not a good thing .

Interesting . Im glad the dyno guy settled on a reasonable jet size , bigger than the 146 I had in , and in tune with what some of you guys are also using .

Safety in numbers !!! lol:rolleyes: ;)

GPracer2500
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
....than run it rich for more power....

Just a quick clarification: rich = less power not more. "Best power" jetting is close to the edge of being too lean.

Excellent work getting your quad on a dyno though and a nice post overall.

MO-EX-RIDER
09-05-2006, 05:57 PM
im not understanding this at all. i recently installed DJ jet kit with a slip on k+n and holes in air box/lid. i started out with the 165 main 3rd noth on dj needle and 31/4 turns on a/f screw. i rode and checked the plug and it looked lean. so i went up to 170 main and now its a dark tan to black. btw im in missouri and temps around 80's and stock internals

Def-e-nition
09-06-2006, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Just a quick clarification: rich = less power not more. "Best power" jetting is close to the edge of being too lean.

Excellent work getting your quad on a dyno though and a nice post overall.

thanks . Finally got it sorted like I told you ... also used your method - post it , its pretty sweet . the 4 th gear roll-on thing ...

Hey Mo - welcome to the world of jetting ..lol

I was as confused as you !!!

Sorry for the error - but the idea behind bigger jet size gp, would be to allow in more AIR , to make Power . Sorry .

rooster_20
09-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Not to steal the thread or anything but i am running the stage 2 with the lid off and the biggest jet in the kit and all i have is the mods in my sig would i be too rich i live in Harlan, Ky which is about 1800ft i think?

redexrider
09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
yes you probably are too rich... take out your plug and find out. If its black you are rich.

rooster_20
09-06-2006, 09:34 PM
thats what is confusing cause i took it out a few weeks ago and it was a dark brown and wasnt "wet looking" so i figured it was ok another question somone told me that my quad would run different in the winter if it gets any richer i will have to change jets jw

Def-e-nition
09-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Remember that to check your Main jet you'd need to install a new plug , and run the bike WOT and Immmediately kill it , not just run around and then pull the plug. That reading would be on the plug for the entire carb setting , and what you are trying to look into , is whether the bike runs too rich or lean with regards to the MAIN jet , which you canonly tell by running WOT .

pm Gp racer , He is a good source of info if my post confuses you and he gave me a fourth-gear roll-on test that I also used to tell which jet size would be better . It works nicely .

Def-e-nition
09-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Remember that to check your Main jet you'd need to install a new plug , and run the bike WOT and Immmediately kill it , not just run around and then pull the plug. That reading would be on the plug for the entire carb setting , and what you are trying to look into , is whether the bike runs too rich or lean with regards to the MAIN jet , which you canonly tell by running WOT .

pm Gp racer , He is a good source of info if my post confuses you and he gave me a fourth-gear roll-on test that I also used to tell which jet size would be better . It works nicely .