PDA

View Full Version : 250R fourtrax one click no start (1986)

trx250rignorant
08-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm new to this list but I didn't read any threads along these lines. If there are, please let me know.
My problem: When I turn the key on my 250R fourtrax (1986) I hear a slight click and that's it. I haven't had much time to work on it but the battery is new and I did get it kick started after a few ankle-biting kicks, so it functions just not the starter.
I'm pretty sure it's the relay I'm hearing click when I try to start it. What should I do , Where the heck is the starter and If I need a chlymer book where's the best place to get one?
Thanks in advance for any responses.
JK

C-LEIGH RACING
08-30-2006, 10:05 AM
A TRX250R 2 stroke dont have a battery or electric starter, you ?? talking about a 250 with racks & shaft drive.
Neil

trx250rignorant
08-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes that's the one!

C-LEIGH RACING
08-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Check your ground wires from the battery to the engine, sometime between the connection it can get gunked all up & loose connection.
Check the connections at the battery & the selinoid switch & that the wires that actavate the switch are ok & not cut or anything.
The engine has a netural start switch mounted in the right side of the clutch cover down be the foot peg, make sure the wire is connected to it.
On the dash on the handle bars, there is a netural start light that will glow when the engine is in netural, if that light dont come on the engine will not start.
Go to the auto parts store & get a 12 volt test light, you would be surprized how helpfull it will be checking things.

Neil

trx250rignorant
08-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I checked all those things and everything passed. including 12v to the starter lead when you push the button.
I've removed the starter and plan to take it in to get it checked.
Any ideas where to get one cheap, I asked about it at the local shop when I started this whole thing and he said $430 for a new one. Yikes!!

86 Quad R
08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
if your fortunate to have a atv bone yard local to your area you may get one there or on ebay. otherwise, i'd bet a local starter/alternator rebuilder can fix yours.

C-LEIGH RACING
08-30-2006, 05:37 PM
If you got 12V at the starter wire connection your starter is bad.
Most times the bushings wear & then the armature drags aginst the magnets & ends up burning the brushes up.
You can buy a new brush plate 2 brush or 4 brush, all new & just hook it in place & the starter place can make up some replacement bushings.
Neil

trx250rignorant
08-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Please elaborate on brush plates where I can find them etc. I'll read everything you can type or copy.
Thank you.

C-LEIGH RACING
08-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Your starter brushes are mounted to a plate inside the starter motor & that plate can be replaced. The new one will have the new brushes soldered already to the plate & ready to drop in.
I get those plates from J&M ATV Supply out of Memphis, Tenn & McDonald ATV out of Little Rock, Ark. You could call & find the nearest dealer to you.
Neil