View Full Version : Starter cover

Str8Wicked
08-28-2002, 09:10 AM
Yesterday I was border and started polishing a few of the parts on my bike. Got the steering rods looking like chroms and a few other pieces as well. I ended up trying to sand the paint of my starter cover off so I could polish it and ended up sanding it down to much. To many scratches now to make it look good. I ended up throwing a few coating of black engine paint on and a few coats of clear engine paint on to cover it.

I was planning on buying a billet one anyways but decided I might as well try to do it myself first... Guess it didn't work out.... I think I should just go buy some damn paint thinner next time... lol

Where can I find a billet cover now for a decent price.

Anyone know.

Let me know....

Teufel
08-28-2002, 09:57 AM
Can't you sand the scratches out? just use progressively finer grit paper and then polish it.

Str8Wicked
08-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Well I sanded it with a electric sander so it scratched it pretty bad. I can actually bring it here to work and I know my big polisher here would take out the scratches. just wondering how much a new billet one would be. If it's to expensive than I will be strippin the new paint off and bringing it to work with me.

I have electric fine sanders and a tabel mounted polisher here so it shouldn't be a problem.

RytM1
08-28-2002, 12:00 PM
In case you plan on doing this to any more pieces, use Aircraft Stripper. It's a heavy-duty stripper, and you can get it at most auto parts stores in the paint and body repair section. A lot of places that do polishing on motorcycle parts use this to remove the paint.

Str8Wicked
08-28-2002, 02:38 PM
Good. To Know... lol

Punk13rym
08-28-2002, 05:23 PM
yeah use paint stripper and some fine steelwool

Str8Wicked
08-29-2002, 09:14 AM
So back to the original question....

Anyone know where I can find a replacement one... Stock or billet.

I re sanded the part and re polished it and it looks much much better but still a bit rough.