PDA

View Full Version : Welding A swingarm

RIZZO
08-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Does anyone know if a swingarm off of a 01 400EX can be welded.....my buddy cracked his..today.

firefighterjosh
08-30-2006, 04:00 AM
you can weld it, but I wouldn't recomend it.

underpowered
08-30-2006, 05:18 AM
you should be able to weld it, it is just cast aluminum. i would not recomend welding it though. in a pinch maybe, but i would replace it as soon as possible.

F-16Guy
08-30-2006, 08:21 AM
If I remember right, there are special steps for welding cast aluminum. I think you have to pre-heat the part, and obviously use the right kind of welder (MIG, I think), but it can be done. I would probably try to find a used one before I went through all of that hassle, though.

RIZZO
08-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
If I remember right, there are special steps for welding cast aluminum. I think you have to pre-heat the part, and obviously use the right kind of welder (MIG, I think), but it can be done. I would probably try to find a used one before I went through all of that hassle, though. That's just it....I just bought this one off ebay...it seem to be mint, I was out for one ride this week for about 2 hours...no big jumps or anything..noticed it was cracked when I was cleaning it....and worst of all I need it for this friday......so if I do have this welded do you think it would hold up for atleast the weekend.......Thanks alot for your help guys.

redexrider
08-30-2006, 11:29 AM
if you must weld it, you want to use a TIG welder, not a mig, it will most likely burn right through it. If you weld it good it will hold for the weekend, but change it out asap

RIZZO
08-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys....