View Full Version : yfz or 450r

chadalac1992
08-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Planing to sell my 400ex,but cant decide if i want a yfz,or450r.Ilike to ride at the dunes,and having comfort,and good shocks.I need a quad that has power and speed at the same time.

DirtDevilBT
08-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Neither, KFX700.:eek2: :D :rolleyes:

Can't ask that question. You'll hear 450r. If you ask it at Bluetraxx you'll here yfz.

To much politics. Pick one and be happy. Don't listen to anyone. Sit on them and make your own dam.n mind. lol :p

quadhauler
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
They are both great Duner's. I don't care what forum you are on though, anybody who say's the Yamaha is more comfortable than the Honda is lieing or never rode a Honda. Honda is in a class by itself when it comes to comfort and feel and always has been. Can't really go wrong either way...

Shift_450R
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by quadhauler
They are both great Duner's. I don't care what forum you are on though, anybody who say's the Yamaha is more comfortable than the Honda is lieing or never rode a Honda. Honda is in a class by itself when it comes to comfort and feel and always has been. Can't really go wrong either way...

I second that i rode my friends 06 YFZ and for one the thumb throttle is soo freakin stiff and it feels like im 7'0 trying to ride a tricycle on it. The seat is too straight and the handlebars seem too low.

Flodies400ex
08-30-2006, 01:03 PM
dude honda all the way and I ride dunes and soemtimes trials but anyways if i was you I would get the 06 with the hRC kit because it can blow any bike away and alll the 450s,banshees with there k&n pipe and even jetted right and you can blow them away lol I have lol

quadhauler
08-30-2006, 01:19 PM
I would have to say, an 06 with a $300 HRC kit is really tough to beat! Of course there are a bunch of high $$ quads that'll beat it. If you are buying new though, for the price of an 06 with the HRC, nothing comes close.

CHEVYZ
08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I would have to agree about the 06 450r with the HRC being extremely powerful. So far the only bikes to have beaten me were total drag bikes. Hell, I have taken and ran with drag bikes with mine LOL. Makes alot of people double take when they realize the quad consistanly busting their *** has stock exhaust. :eek2:

However... I think that the choice should really come down to what fits you and feels comfortable. In the dunes it is all about set-up anyway, so make sure whatever you pick is comfortable and drivable for you.

chadalac1992
08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
I like the 450r but heard there was a problem starting it when you put aftermarket stuff on it.Does anyone else have that problem.

2002 yellow 400ex trying to sell excellent condition lots of aftermarket excesories.

GPracer2500
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm (99% for sure) going with a YFZ as soon as I sell my 400EX. I've always been a Honda guy so it kills me to go elsewere, but I feel the YFZ engine is "better". The Honda is more comfortable but the YFZ is good enough in that department to satisfy.

chadalac1992
08-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry guys i think i'm going with the yfz.

GPracer2500
08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by chadalac1992
...a problem starting...

It's a documented issue (as far as I'm concerned) and it's one of the things that's turned me off to the TRX450ER.

Regarding the HRC kit: I think it's too bad the TRX needs the HRC kit (namely the cam) to perform like it should. I'm not going to pat Honda on the back for making me buy and install a cam that should have come with the quad from the get-go.

JMO

Phills450r
08-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I'm (99% for sure) going with a YFZ as soon as I sell my 400EX. I've always been a Honda guy so it kills me to go elsewere, but I feel the YFZ engine is "better". The Honda is more comfortable but the YFZ is good enough in that department to satisfy.

I have had my 04 450r w/ HRC kit for 2 years now and NEVER had a problem with the motor.. only thing I have done is changed the oil and clean the filter.. haven't been beaten on the holeshot yet. I have always thought that the "Honda" motor was more reliable IMO.. Good luck with the yamaha

chadalac1992
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks do you ride at the dunes,how does it ride.If I do go with the honda i eant the 2006,becuse of the electric start.

quadhauler
08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Regarding the HRC kit: I think it's too bad the TRX needs the HRC kit (namely the cam) to perform like it should. I'm not going to pat Honda on the back for making me buy and install a cam that should have come with the quad from the get-go.

JMO
Honda could have made it a closed course racer, but to sell to the masses and pass emmission regs they did what they have to do. The Yamaha and Suzuki are no different as in choked up in stock form.

GPracer2500
08-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Honda could have made it a closed course racer, but to sell to the masses and pass emmission regs they did what they have to do. The Yamaha and Suzuki are no different as in choked up in stock form.

I realize all quads come plugged-up. That's not was I was trying to get at...that's why I specifically mentioned the cam.

The stock cam in the TRX is more mild than it needs to be. Changing the cam in a stock TRX is a no-brainer--there are lots of cams that outperform the stock cam in every way. Like I said, the HRC cam should be the stock cam.

Conversely, the stock cams in the YFZ are very good cams. Far fewer people change their YFZ cams, in large part because there is no need to do so. And timing the YFZ cams to YZ spec makes them even better and it's free.

On the YFZ you can simply mod the airbox, remove the exhaust insert (it's removable--no seperate tip needed if you want to keep the exhaust OEM), do the cam mod (or not), and rejet. Your only $$ cost is the jetting.

I'm not saying the Honda is junk. Believe me, I'm a Honda guy at heart. It's been quite tough for me to decide the YFZ is the right quad for me. I just think the YFZ has the better mix of the qualities that are important to me.

gumby2461
08-30-2006, 11:27 PM
^^^ wel said but i believe the 300 dollar HRC kit or jus simply buyin a new cam for the honda to make it over the yamaha is worth it simply bc it is a honda and reliability will arguably be alot better than the yamaha

....honda fan lol

DEAL
08-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Coming off of a 400ex I'd go with a 450r ...
I had a 400ex and thought long and hard about bolth before I eventually ended up with a 450r ..
I just can't get comfortable on a yfz.
The 450r felt perfect from the very start.

quadhauler
08-31-2006, 12:10 AM
On the YFZ you can simply mod the airbox, remove the exhaust insert (it's removable--no seperate tip needed if you want to keep the exhaust OEM), do the cam mod (or not), and rejet. Your only $$ cost is the jetting.

Yup and then you can go out and get smoked by an HRC kitted Honda.... Oh and by the way how much more do you have to pay for the YFZ to start with? Around here they are a lot more $$$

GPracer2500
08-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Yup and then you can go out and get smoked by an HRC kitted Honda....

Umm...ok.

quadhauler
08-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Umm...ok.

Just givin you a hard time dude..... Geez even you admit you are a Honda guy, so you gotta expect a litle razzin....

firefighterjosh
08-31-2006, 12:28 AM
HRC Honda VS Retarted timing YFZ

WINNER.....YFZ by about 1 MPH, Accleration the same.

DirtDevilBT
08-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Yup and then you can go out and get smoked by an HRC kitted Honda.... Oh and by the way how much more do you have to pay for the YFZ to start with? Around here they are a lot more $$$

But the yfz has the slightly better suspension. Helps spend the extra cash.

You have to look at it this way, all power or handling aside, cause most people change engine parts and suspension parts anyway.... how do you feel on the quad and which one do you like to look at more.:D

Both quads have issues, are reliable, but not maintanence free, however they will both make someone happy.

Nick shupe
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Do you're self a faver and get the honda much more reliable and that's the truth ;)

Supercup
08-31-2006, 11:10 PM
I ride mostly in the Dunes. I have a Banshee, with a bunch of mods. I decided to look into the new four strokes and decided on the YZF. I had a 2005 YZF - with pipe, filter, air box lid off. It ran great and had no problems. Suspension stock was fine and could do most things well (I thought it was a little better than the Honda). The power was really lacking still over the Banshee so I did a lot of research and talked to 6 or 7 reputable name shops around the country. I got pretty much the same story no matter who I talked to. The YZF was a great motor out of the box, but was pretty much at its limit and if I increased displacement or modded it much further than a pipe etc.. That I was asking for trouble, a likely failure. So I bought a 2006 TRX electric start and modded it heavily, motor included. It has way more power than the YZF (and it should due to mods). I have about 40 hours on the motor and it runs super strong and I have had no issues. My YZF never failed, but I was told not to go bigger or it would by a lot of people who should know. I was told the Honda was able to get beefed up and stay reliable. Mine has done that.

To that end if you are just getting a bike and plan limited motor mods, I still love the YZF suspension and handling over the Honda, stock vs stock. But I think the Honda will be more reliable as a base bike for building up over time.

As far as hard starting goes, when I got my bike it started fine. Went straight in for major mods (no rides) and when I got it back it was a pain in the @$$ to start when hot (no hot start on the electric start version). Once the jetting was dialed in and the battery was charged up it got better. But if someone twists the throttle when it is not running and it is hot. You are either pop starting it or taking a break. The YZF never had any of those issues.

JCM

Digsy
09-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I ride dunes and desert trails and love my 'R. It is not modded much and I don't have a new cam in, but it runs great. Plenty quick enough ... No problems with starting yet, but it is a kicker. It took me a while to dial in the Showa shocks, but there is a lot of play in them, so its worth doing right. I heard that they respond well to a re-valve if you need more out of them.

The guys that ride YFZees with us are quick as well, but they regularly bail out for breaks before the rest of us - they b*tch about the thumb throttles - I don't know if there is a mod out there for that, but it p*sses them off in stock form for sure ...

Supercup's got a good point about the engine mods and I had heard the same thing ... you can get an idea by looking at the pro podiums every week ... It takes an exceptional rider like Bill Balance and a lot of support to put a YFZee on the number one spot these days ...

Bottom line is that the main difference at this level of machine is rider skill and rider choice ... its all good ... :D

Flodies400ex
09-02-2006, 01:36 PM
they are both damn good bikes so if i was you I would just ride both but I prefere to have the honda because they are more reliable than any other bikes. I have the honda 450 and its rocks and I had np yet "nock on wood"

i edited this post to make a little sence and I did mean what i said before but yea I am just kinda mad because there is just so many posts about both of these quads and i just understand why people post about this but anyways get the honda and if you are going to do racing then get the yfz because its already low for yea and you dont have to by aftermarket parts for the 450R to make it low for racing but yea good luck man

GPracer2500
09-02-2006, 02:13 PM
[deleted]

Digsy
09-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah really ... 'josh dint even mention his 'shee

read the post an get a grip, dude ...

ride300exrider
09-02-2006, 03:25 PM
i dont like the way that kid post at all
so some respect kid

Flodies400ex