PDA

View Full Version : what engine should I build

fordhondarider
08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Well I took my 99 400ex top end apart 2 years ago to have it bored out to a 440 and I had a guy I knew do the work well 2 years later I am still waiting to get my head and cylinder back.He won't give me my money back because He says he just lost it and He will eventually find it.I figure he sold it or something.He said if I try to take him to small claims court then he will bring up his 30 day store policy that consists of "any worked on parts that are left for more than 30 days after drop off will become my property and I can sell them to pay for my time I have in them".Even though I never abandoned them he's gonna pull that so he says just be patient and he will find them eventually.Well after 2 years I have got tired of waiting and I am buying a used cylinder and head assembly off ebay this week and of course have someone else do the machine work this time but I was wondering if the 440 kit is what would really be best for me.I have always been told "there is no replacement for displacement" but after reading some of the forums on here I wonder if that would be my best bet.I see there is a 406,416,426,435,460,and of course 440 kits out there and there all available in different compression ratios.What is the benefit of running a 12.5:1 compression 440 kit over a 11:1 kit?I see there is even a 12:1 compression stock bore piston kit so what would be better about that over the 10:1 piston thats stock besides higher octane fuel?I have a hot cam stage 2 brand new in the box from 2 years ago waiting to go in with whatever kit I go with I just don't know which kit to choose.I run it at the sand dunes and trail riding and thats it.No racing on tracks or anything just recreational use but of course I would like as much power as I could get of course :D Sorry for the long post just a lot to say I guess.Thanks Jason

fordhondarider
08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
I forgot to mention that I have a white brothers slip on and K&n filter along with one of those cloth lids for the air box to replace the stock lid and I believe a dyno jet kit for it so whatever would go along with that stuff.Its all new still in boxs for the last 2 years so I would like to use it

johnsls
08-30-2006, 06:34 AM
I don't get it,, he's a friend of yours??
And what he can't find your parts?? WTF

Goto his shop and find them yourself.. also have some muscle fists beat I mean talk to him at a bar or something...

I dont get how you could have let him have that stuff even after a couple of months. And now you have to go out and buy them......:confused: :confused:

fordhondarider
08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
he's not my friend just a guy that has a cycle shop and does engine work.

krt400ex
08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by fordhondarider
he's not my friend just a guy that has a cycle shop and does engine work.

i would still go to the shop and look for them urself. and find out if he has a printed document that talks about this "30 day" policy. i think he is full of crap.

as for ur kit question....go with the hotrods 460 kit. the 12.5:1 compression will make a big diff in power over a 11:1. u will need to run race gas, but if u can afford it then it will be worth it. also, get a better pipe than the wb. and if u bore u should def. get a full system.