PDA

View Full Version : Starting Trouble

yamaha1470
08-28-2002, 07:26 AM
I have a stock 400EX and it seems to be hard to start and keep running. It is all stock. It will always fire up on the first push of the button but keeping it running is hard. It will run a little rough when u first start it but with a little throttle its good. Then it would just die out unless u really gunned it to keep it running. After you warm it up for like 3-4 minutes its fine but to have to keep giving a lot of throttle so it wont stall. It is annoying and im pretty sure it should start a little easier. I heard to pump the throttle and that helps but not completely. With one pump of the throttle it will still die like 4-5 times. I tried 3 pumps and it still stalls a lot. I even tried 10 pumps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that worked best and only made it stall once. What could help?

UglyMotha™
08-28-2002, 07:32 AM
swap your pilot jet out for a 40 or even a 42 that will cure your cold starting blues:rolleyes:

08-28-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
swap your pilot jet out for a 40 or even a 42 that will cure your cold starting blues:rolleyes:

Exactly and leave the choke alone..don't use it,,unless you like fouling plugs,,the bigger pilot jet is the fix,,,that's a fact.:D

yamaha1470
08-28-2002, 11:27 AM
so with a bigger pilot i dont need the choke? I wanted to remove it anyway. Thanks

08-28-2002, 12:49 PM
If you plan on removing your choke,,go up to a 42 pilot definitly.