PDA

View Full Version : Please help

YFZRB
08-29-2006, 04:12 AM
I know most of you guys are running aftyer market pipes and mods to the carb. I am running stock for now but need to start learning how to adjust the air fuel mix. I went out at night and the pipe at the engine block was glowing red. Running too lean I suppopse. I've been reading threads but haven't found any that deal with changing the air/fuel on stock setup. Please help me out with the specifics.

Thanx

firefighterjosh
08-29-2006, 04:53 AM
If your pipe is red hot it would be more likly it is running lean. How far does the red move up? I know my 400 has a slight redness to it at night when I am running through the woods. But my quad is accualyl running a little rich, so I think a little red is normal when riding slow.

beastlyone
08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
from what ive been told here on the forums, its because the stock header is titanium and is going to glow a certain amount once done riding. Also that would mean its running to lean if anything, hope that helps man

YFZRB
08-29-2006, 07:43 PM
The pipe was red for a good 6".

When it's too lean does this mean too much air in the combustion via an aftermarket air filter? Ready filter.

The dealer said it is normal, but 50 other posts here in the forum say otherwise.

Thanks for all info

firefighterjosh
08-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Yes lean means your engine is taking in too much air and not enough gas

Toadz400
08-30-2006, 01:35 PM
YFZ's come from the factory lean. You need to buy an aftermarket fuel screw so that it's easy to adjust. At night the header will more than likely glow red no matter what if it's left sitting for a few minutes. The first thing I did when I brought mine home from the dealership was throw a 160 main in and richen up the needle. It's always ran great and I'd always rather be a little rich than a little lean.

Edit: My jetting won't work for yours as they changed the jetting on the '06's. Try doing a search here or at YFZCentral.

YFZRB
09-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Toad-

Allright I'm gonna do that - change the needle. Can you send me a link for the cam mod if you know it off hand. I'm trying to search for it but cam is too small for the search tool. But I'm looking!

Thanks

Pappy
09-12-2006, 05:52 PM
bump up a size on the pilot jet

H.Holmes
09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
dont be alarmed at the redness with your pipe. if you are running hard or for a long time it in noral

YFZRB
09-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
bump up a size on the pilot jet

Pappy,

When I come down to BPG for October fest do you think you could get your brother to help me out with the cam mod? I'll get a 160 needle and gut the pipe if he can help me with the cam part. Lemme know.

Thanks

Pappy
09-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes, he and I will be more then willing.

His member name on this site is KH426, pm him and he will tell you every part you will want to have including the jet sizes so he can dial in the carb.

YFZRB
09-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Pappy,

I spoke to KH426 about the cam mod at BPG this weekend. He gave me some info on the parts to buy.

Thanks again