PDA

View Full Version : split-cycle engine concept

-copyguy-
08-28-2006, 09:15 PM
cool idea...

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/autotech/0,71648-0.html?tw=wn_index_6

Toadz400
08-29-2006, 12:39 AM
That is awesome, it's a crazy idea but it makes complete sense. Exactly why I'm going to school for Engineering.

WhiteZrider
08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
I watched the video and i dont get it lol :p

firefighterjosh
08-29-2006, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZrider
I watched the video and i dont get it lol :p

LMAO. You have to read it too............Its a good idea but weird

GPracer2500
08-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Nice find. I'm sceptical of it's application for performance engines--but who knows....

smr
08-29-2006, 08:34 AM
That's kinda cool. we have 4 cycle and 2 cycle so now we have split cycle. I noticed it fired on every stroke like a 2 cycle but yet it had valves and a cam like a 4 cycle....good concept.

bwamos
08-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Reminds me a lot of the Wankle concept.. but uses 2 pistons instead of a rotor.

It has promise.

Toadz400
08-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Reminds me a lot of the Wankle concept.. but uses 2 pistons instead of a rotor.

It has promise.

Yea, definately. I'm going to keep my ears open and can't wait for the results of the actual engine next year. They mentioned that several automotive manufacturers are already talking to them. I love innovative technology!

Iliketogofast
08-29-2006, 12:59 PM
To me, that doesn't seem like it would be very efficient.

The way I understand it, the first piston acts like a sort of forced induction system - like a turbo or supercharger - while the second one does all of the work.

The problem it creates is that there are two pistons but only one of them has a combustion. The one piston has to do the work for the other one. Momentum would help with that of course, but there would still be power loss from that.

There are also space limitations because for every one good piston there is one that isn't doing anything. To me, an extra working piston would be a lot more valuable than one that just pushes mixture into the other one.

A similar and seemingly more efficient setup would be to have a turbocharger for each cylinder.

Also, Wankel was a much better idea
:D

F-16Guy
08-29-2006, 02:03 PM
I think it's an amazingly simple idea that could change a lot of things in automotive and powersports. It may seem like the extra piston would create a lot of drag, but it's not subjected to any extreme heat, so they could make it incredibly light and give it special friction reducing coatings. Another thing to remember is that the extra piston allows the power piston to fire EVERY stroke!! That's huge! Image an access panel to an eccentric crank pin adjuster that allows you to change the amount of cylinder pressure (boost) in the power cylinder by changing the stroke of the intake piston. The possibilities are pretty exciting if you use your imagination.:cool:

redracing88
08-29-2006, 02:56 PM
that is amazing..:eek2:

motox450
08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Here is a very good engine design. It works very similar to a Wankel. But has other advantages. http://www.quasiturbine.com/

There is also a company out there making spherical valves for engines. Here is their website. http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html

Both are advantages over what is available today.