PDA

View Full Version : Igniton problem- Head lights/tail light work but no spark

pharit
08-28-2006, 04:09 PM
What can be wrong? I have no spark what so ever but no lights. what gives?

Aceman
08-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Get out a meter and a manual and start eliminating possibilities. Otherwise it's just a guessing game. Guessing and replacing is expensive. Right now I'd assume it's the coil, killswitch, or the wiring in between.

Dave83
08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Just curious,how you getting lights without a running engine?

pharit
08-28-2006, 10:35 PM
when i kick it over the lights will shine just a bit

wilkin250r
08-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Your stator doesn't just generate electricity like a generator. It has several parts, with each part being dedicated to a specific task, and each part (this is important) being independent of each other.

Your stator has three parts. Two of them are on the stator itself to generate electricity. They are the Lighting Coil (actually, several coils tied together), and the Exciter Coil. Connected to the stator is also the Pulse Generator.

The pulse generator is your timing signal. It is very low power, not nearly enough power to actually generate a spark. It is just used to tell the CDI when to fire.

The Exciter Coil produces a very high voltage which gets stored inside the CDI. When the CDI gets the signal from the pulse generator, this energy gets released through the ignition coil and eventually to the spark plug.

Your lighting coil makes up most of the coils you see on the stator. It produces electricity for lighting, obviously.

Now, when you kick the engine over, you are spinning the flywheel. This should allow ALL the different aspects of your stator to work, the pulse generator, the exciter coil, and the lighting coil.

If your lights shine briefly, then it is obvious that your lighting coil is good. However, remember back to the first paragragh, that all these different parts of the stator are independent of each other. Just because the lighting coil works doesn't guarentee that the Pulse Generator is working, or the Exciter Coil. It's very possible for one or more aspects to be working while another is failing. Just because your lights come on doesn't mean your stator is good.

Of course, this doesn't guarantee that you stator is bad either. You could have a faulty CDI, or faulty ignition coil, or bad wiring somewhere. Just as the coils are independent on your stator, they also have their own dedicated wires. The red/black wire coming off the stator is the exciter coil, the green/white (or is it green/yellow?) wire is your pulse generator, the white wire is your lighting.

Did you read the whole post, or just skim over it? I suggest you read it all the way, probably more than once. After that, my suggestion to you would be to get a Repair Manual and a Multi-meter, and go through the electrical diagnostics prodecure.

deathman53
08-29-2006, 04:04 PM
my advice is, if you have a friend with a 250r, swap some parts, first stator, then cdi and last coil. the pickup's on r stators tend to go.