PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems

jro09
08-28-2006, 01:26 PM
i just installed a new asv clutch lever. unhooked the wires going to the black diode box. everything was working fine, it cranked in gear and adjusted out good. then i rode it and when you give it full throdle it slips. i tried to readjust it, and it still slips. and now it wont crank in gear anymore either. tried to adjust it were i had it b4 and still wont crank in gear. does the two wires going to the diode box need to be hooked together? and should i try adjusting the clutch at the case? and what does the little push tab on the diode do?

redexrider
08-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I wouldnt suggest putting the two wires together, the diode is there to prevent power from going back across where it shouldnt go. As for the starting problem, I would check the wires that you connected together that were on the stock clutch (there was a switch in there) you might have lost connection at that point and that is why it will not start in gear. should be a green wire and a yellow with green stripe. they need to be connected together in order to start in gear. The "button" on the diode is just the release so you can pull it out for replacement. Where did you read that you should unhook the wires from the diode?? I have never heard of doing this... sounds bad to me. The only wires you need to connect together are the ones from the clutch switch on the old lever. I would put the diode back in. And for the slipping, sounds like it is still not adjusted right, screw the adjustment knob in until you have a little play in the lever, this will tell you that you are not holding the clultch up at all, you know then that it is all the way engaged, and you shouldnt have any slipping. If you don't have any play in it, you might be pulling the clutch in slightly (disengaging it) and causing it to slip. You will also burn out a clutch really quik like that.

jro09
08-29-2006, 01:01 PM
i got it worked out. i pluged the diode back in and it crunk in gear and then i adjusted the clutch on the case. i cant beleive how much it changed the adjustment just by putting a new lever on. thanks for the reply.