PDA

View Full Version : lights, wiring, stator - questions

svahle
08-28-2006, 06:42 AM
I have an 87 250r. It had no lights so I am in the process of adding them. I have a few questions. Your help is much appreciated.

First - I have searched for, found, and looked at wiring diagrams on this forum. Mine does not seem to match up. I do not have a voltage regulator but purchased one last night on ebay. From a standard wiring diagram it looks like I need to hook the voltage regulator to the white or white/yellow wire from the stator. My stator has a white wire but it goes to the plug on the CDI (it never turns to white/yellow) (also, my CDI has a single plug). The wiring diagrams I have seen have this white wire for lights only and do not show it going to the CDI. My harness does not look like it has been cut and there are no plugs that are unhooked except the wires for the factory on/off switch (I have a tether kill switch). The bike runs fine and the kill switch works. QUESTION: I just need to splice into the white wire coming from the stator, right? What I think I need to do is (1) wire in the voltage regulator to the white wire from stator (2) Splice a wire into the white wire from the stator after the voltage regulator and hook this to the lights. Is this right?

Second - I pulled the flywheel cover off and rusty water poured out. However, the bike runs great and starts fine. QUESTION: If the bike runs okay the stator should be okay, right? I am just concerned since the stator has obviously been exposed to moisture. We are headed to the dunes soon so I don't know if I have time to order and install a new stator. Other than to seal up the flywheel cover, any other recomendations.

Sorry for the long post. All your help is appreciated.

250R-Dee
08-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Is this the diagram you saw?

250R-Dee
08-28-2006, 08:18 AM
I finally found the correct screen capture. Save that pic and then zoom in so you can read it better.

If you do not have the w/yl wire it is probably because you have a CR250 ignition. US spec and offroad only CR's were never setup for lights.

svahle
08-28-2006, 08:32 AM
That's it. I saved it.

svahle
08-28-2006, 08:41 AM
So what now? Is there any easy way to confirm whether or not this is a CR250 ignition? Can I still tap into the white wire and hook up lights or am I outta luck? Also, if this is a CR250 ignition, what all will I need to get to run lights?

Geez, all kinds of questions now. Thanks for all your continued help.

250R-Dee
08-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Inspect the stator to make sure the wire was not snipped. Also, go to everything2stroke.com and download the trx250r manual from the manuals forum. I am TRX-RMXJapan on e2s so follow my directions concerning the zipped file! You should be able to solve just about any problem with the help of the manual.

svahle
08-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll download the manual. I found some pics of a cr250 ignition and it looks like what I've got. Guess I'll start gathering what parts I need to have lights. Thanks again.

250R-Dee
08-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Glad I could help!!:D

deathman53
08-28-2006, 07:47 PM
I don't think you can use lights on a cr ignition. I have 2 bikes with them and there is no room for lighting coils.

wilkin250r
08-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I'll be honest, I've never used a CR250 ignition, I only know a few things about them. But I have extensive knowledge of the stock wiring and lighting.

The CR250 ignition does not have lights, there's no room. Some companies have modified the CR250 ignition to allow lights, but that's not a modification that your average shade-tree mechanic can do. So you can either buy a new CR250 ignition that has lights, or buy a new stock ignition and lighting system.

For a stock system, you'll need a stator, flywheel, CDI, wiring harness, and possibly a new ignition coil (I don't know if that is part of the CR250 package or not). You don't necessarily need to go new, you can buy used, but try to find somebody you can trust to make sure the parts work, especially the CDI.

The modified CR250 with lighting coils might allow you to keep your CDI, possibly saving you a few bucks. But I doubt it. You can probably buy an OEM used (including CDI) for much cheaper than you could buy a modified CR250 new. And I highly doubt you'll find a used CR250 ignition that has been modified for lights.

You need any help with the electricals, you let me know. As for the water in your stator, I would pull the flywheel off and blow everything out with an air hose, and possibly a blow dryer, then give it a shot of WD40 to keep it from rusting further.

Does anybody know how the CR250 flywheel bolts on to the 250r? Is it as simple as the stock flywheel, with the key and all, or does it require a custom install with measurements from TDC and a complicated procedure?

svahle
08-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all the great information. This forum is a great asset to any quad owner/rider.

I have decided to forget the lights for now. I've spent enough money on mods for awile. I guess the sun will have to be my light. Anyway, it runs too good to screw with right now.

Thanks again for all your much appreciated help.

atvmxr
08-29-2006, 07:26 AM
if your going to toss that CR ignition you could ship it to me and I'll dispose of it :D