PDA

View Full Version : Jet Kit Problems

MeatHead
08-27-2002, 06:47 PM
I seem to be having a problem. I installed my WB E-Series, and K&N. Now I am trying to rejet the carb. However all the screws inside the carb seem to be stripped already. Step 14 in the How to install a K&N Jet Kit FAQ shows the three screws that are screwing me. Like the FAQ says you will be hating life, well I am. So what is the best way to get those screws out? I could drill them out and try to use a screw extractor, but is there a better way? How have some of you overcome this problem? I ask that because it sounds like some of you have had this same problem. Thanks for any help you can offer.:grr

Dienamo111
08-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Honestly there is a possible way to get those stripped screws out.
I ran into the same problem my solution was a Carbide coated tipped screwdriver or any screwdriver that has a galvanized coated tip on it, also have a screwdriver with a good sharp new tip on it helps. If the tip of the screwdriver is in anyway rounded you are dead in the water. Good luck!:)

Leo
08-27-2002, 08:17 PM
flag down the snap-on truck when he goes by, grab yourself a #2 poz-driv screwdriver (the screws are pozi-driv, sort of a one off phillips head half breed).. and you'll never have a problem

the screwdriver will set you back about $20, but it'll save $50 in aggrevation..

Leo

DESDAK4
08-27-2002, 08:37 PM
I have been told that a little valve grinding compound on the tip of the screwdriver will help or something called screw grab. Me, I had to drill them out and do it the hard way, but such is life.
Jay

danney f
08-28-2002, 03:14 AM
If you can get to it with a pair of side cuts(wire cutters), put one side of the cutters in the part that is stripped out and the other on the outside of the screw head and turn like your unscrewing it.
Hope this helps.

UglyMotha™
08-28-2002, 05:57 AM
and if all the above fails throw it accross the garage and cuss at it:huh

or just take a 1/16" thk cut off wheel and notch the screw and then you can extract them with a flat-head screw driver

MeatHead
08-28-2002, 08:20 AM
I already did that. :grr Well at least I said lots of "magic" words. They didn't help any. If I could get a cut off wheel on the dremel down in where the screws are they would already be out. But there is no way to get it down where the screws are. I will try what danny f has suggested, if that doesn't work, we will probably be drilling some screws out. That FAQ was definitely right, if those screws strip on you, you will be hating life. At least I will get to replace them with some good quality screws so this doesn't happen again.