PDA

View Full Version : best sprocket option?

SMTRDSPORT
08-27-2006, 11:24 PM
I just picked up an '05 400EX that has been jetted and has a FMF Power 4 slip on.. Other than that, I'm pretty sure the quad has been untouched. I've been slowly researching what mods will help/hurt performance, however like I said "slowly researching."

I've been told that the HRC kit for the 400EX is a waste of money giving minimal gains, however have been told that a good intake, jetting, and exhaust is a plus eventually leading to a 450R carb along with a hotcam stage 2.

For now, jetting and slip on are the only mods... Trail riding/hill climbs is 90% of what I do, with 1-2 trips a year to the dunes if I'm lucky. whats the best option as far as front sprockets for me. Down a tooth? Up a tooth? Seems like I'm always right in the middle of 1st and 2nd gear all the time, and 3rd is too long of a gear I guess leaving having to downshift...

Any help from you prior 400EX owners would be appreciated greatly.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Dropping 1 tooth in the front would be good for your type of riding, I dropped a tooth and i have a great amount of torque now. Torque is good for tight trails and hillclimbing

idontknowwhoiam
08-28-2006, 02:24 AM
i just got new chain and sprockets a few weeks ago and kept my 15t in the front..its got plenty of nuts still.

krt400ex
08-28-2006, 07:45 AM
ya, i think stock is fine too.

if u do trails don't get the stage2 get the stage1, i would do that before the 450r carb.

Roman
08-28-2006, 08:29 AM
I tried a 14 tooth this weekend and found myself shifting between second and third constantly. I never ran the 15 tooth because of the comments I've read about changing to the 14. Now I'm going to try the 15. If the trails were tighter then second would have worked all day, but we were mostly cruising down a real rough dirt road. I guess you just need to gear for the occasion:)

Roman

AFTER REREADING YOUR POST A 14 WOULD PROBABLY BE PERFECT FOR YOU.

grimreaper18
08-28-2006, 05:03 PM
for somebody that wants more acceleration and rides through mostly trails how should I gear my 440 ex? front and rear

SMTRDSPORT
08-29-2006, 03:39 AM
well I've been reading as much info on gearing as I can... Looks like the front sprockets have changed between model years... Correct me if I'm wrong though the 05's have a 14T sprocket up front while the earlier models have a 15T? is that sound right?

Would using a 13T sprocket up front on the 05 TRX400EX be a bad idea for the average trail rider?..

Roman
08-29-2006, 07:22 AM
If you don't want to use first at all and ride wheelies everywhere you go it would be a great idea. If not, I'd go with a 14, but hell give it a try and let us know how it worked out so we don't have to waste our money. :)

Roman

B-rad D
08-29-2006, 07:48 AM
I ran a 13t on my 05 i think it is to low the 15t is just fine for me, i bought the 13t for the sand maybe i will like it there.

jason43050
08-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by SMTRDSPORT
well I've been reading as much info on gearing as I can... Looks like the front sprockets have changed between model years... Correct me if I'm wrong though the 05's have a 14T sprocket up front while the earlier models have a 15T? is that sound right?

Would using a 13T sprocket up front on the 05 TRX400EX be a bad idea for the average trail rider?.. this is correct. stock 05-06 is 14t. i have a 05 400 ex with a 13t on it and i love it! i ride tight trails open trails, and hills 95% of the time. try it, theres only certain companies that make a 13t sprocket for the 05-06 model. the umm can't think of the right name but the thing that you attatch the sprocket to is different than the 04 and older. at least my honda shop that i go to had a hard time finding one in the catalogs he was looking in. he found one place that made it, can't remember the place. but try it, it don't cost much. i found that instead of having to downshift after a curve to 1st gear, i could just stay in 2nd all the time. the trail/track i was on was pretty tight one.

miller821
08-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Droppping a tooth would be great for your type of riding. Before I dropped a tooth I found myself bogging down in 2nd gear when I would climb a hill; now I haven't a problem goin' up hills in second.

SMTRDSPORT
09-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Well I was at the dealer talking about gears... They said a 15 tooth for my '05 would work great for the riding around in this area so my Renthal Sprocket is on its way... I'll letcha know how it turns....

Also ordered a Renthal 15T for my Raptor.... 2 month wait!!!! eek!

SMTRDSPORT
09-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Put on the Renthal 15T on my '05 400EX and it worked out pretty well I thought on our trip outta state. Seem's a little faster than before, though that might be due to the longer stay in each gear. Short Steap Steap hill climbs had to be done in 1st, though 2nd gear was perfect for the others... My brother actually rides my 400EX more than I do (I usually ride my 700R so everything feels slow after being on that pig) though he thought it felt better with the larger tooth on trails etc...