PDA

View Full Version : Ebay services, making a living? Maybe not

yamablaster24
08-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Well i have been using EbaY for YEARS! and well since i was like 12 years old i have been listing stuff on ebay. I have gotten to know just about everything about what you need to know and know what sells and what doesnt. Lately at work my business owner found out about my ebay skills and has been putting them to the test. After selling about 25,000 dollars worth of motorcycles, snowmobiles, dirtbikes, car parts, golf clubs, tools, and other things and him paying me on the average 5% plus my hourly wage im thinkin i could start my own Auctioning business where you bring me an item i sell it and get 5-6% of sale price. I have seen other stores like this out there but i want some input. I mean heck think about it, 5 % of a 20,000 car is 1000 dollars that would take about 4 hours of work. I have it all planned out in my head and im trying to make everything work out and have even the little stuff be worth my while but please input would be loved.

firefighterjosh
08-27-2006, 11:05 PM
I think you could make some money off of it. I would just keep your job and try to start this as a side bussiness. If it dosen't work out then o well you still have a job. if it does work out then quite and be a entrupinuer. The biggest thing would be to get your name out there to the public.

APA
08-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Its called a trading assistant and I have offered it for several years. I am the cheapest around charging 38% and that includes all of the eBay fees which usually leaves me with 20%....on average eBay/Paypal get 18%!

Cars. boats, bikes ect usuall get a flat commision like $100

I have sold lots of different things for people but the problem is people think their stuff is gold when its actually junk.

Check out my TA web site www.NoTime2Sell.com

jal232
08-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I guess my question is this? There are acutally that many people that use your services that want to lose 38% or 20% after fees and such?

And also..when you see power sellers of like atv material and things, wehre do they get this stuff for so cheap..Are they buying at large quantities for wholesale price or what?

Josh

Warnerade
08-28-2006, 10:05 AM
retail dealers...my buddy is one...

he is basicaly a ware house supplier of any part for any make.

jal232
08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Right i understand that..What I'm asking is how do they get to that point. Go out to the wholesalers and say hey im starting a business can i sell your product? They arent goin to give you big deals off for this i woudlnt think?

Warnerade
08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I am not sure...

I know he owns his own company, and just does ebay on the side basically. He has all of his accounts with companies...IE parts unlimited, 2 local dealers, elka, lone star, AC...etc...he is a set dealer for those companies....

Companies wont give you a deal fi you are selling their product for them, you have to be an actual dealer.

jal232
08-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I see and for that you have to obtain an application and fill out i do believe. So you probaly have to have your tax ID # or whatever to get.

APA
08-28-2006, 12:05 PM
To set up a dealer account you have to be a dealer with a retail location, Supply pictures and have the local rep inspect your location.

And be ready to spend about $30k minimum on your initial order.

jal232
08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
I see...so usually starts out around 30K huh? Thats nice...ha

APA
08-28-2006, 12:40 PM
To qualify to get dealer prices you have to spend money. Its like the old saying.... It takes money to make money!

I have worked in the motorcycle ind for 20+ years from a tech at a dealer to Tucker Rocky to owning my own shop. I have pretty much done it all!

jal232
08-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Well Congrats man..Sounds great..Thats something I have alwasy wondered..Love to get into something like that..Just at the time dont have 30K to front up obviously..ha

Warnerade
08-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by jal232
Well Congrats man..Sounds great..Thats something I have alwasy wondered..Love to get into something like that..Just at the time dont have 30K to front up obviously..ha get a loan

rmz250
08-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by APA
To set up a dealer account you have to be a dealer with a retail location, Supply pictures and have the local rep inspect your location.

And be ready to spend about $30k minimum on your initial order.

Tell me more on this, if you don't mind.

APA
08-29-2006, 10:49 AM
What do you want to know?

Basically this is what you will need

Set up a business bank account.
Talk to your lawyer about what type of business you want to be set up as.
Rent a retail location.
Apply for Federal, State, County and City licenses and permits.
Purchase retail necessities like shelving, display cases, manikins, cash register, computer and processing equipment.
Call the distributors and they will either send you the applications or the rep will stop by. Fill the applications out and send them back with pictures, then after you are approved the rep will come to you to check that you are legit then start placing orders.
Depending on the distributor they have a minimum amount you will need to place in your 1st order. $5-10K
TR, Parts Unlimited & WPS are the major distributors and the 1st order will be serious bucks.
Receive items, price them ......... have a grand opening!

jal232
09-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Do you feel that the market had went more to e-sales instead of a show room type store? I could not tell you anyone that had an after market type store around here besides dealers.