PDA

View Full Version : quick low buck way to make plastics look new?

08-27-2002, 06:42 PM
guys, how do i clean up my plastics, and how do i keep them look'n new?

thx

jc_sportrax
08-27-2002, 07:08 PM
If your quad is still new, or close to it, you can take good care of your plastics by giving it a GOOD bath with soap and water after EVERY RIDE, I wash mine after every ride, and then use turtle wax Express Shine spray on wax. It will help keep your plastics looking like new. Also try to keep your quad out of the sun as much as possible, the sun will fade your plastics QUICK! If you have an older quad with already faded plastic, then use Black Magic trim and tire shine. It is a clear thick silicone based liquid that will shine your plastics right up! You will have to do this every time your quad gets wet though, becouse it washes off. I hope this helps.:cool:

08-27-2002, 07:10 PM
the clear coat they put on car bumpers with flex additive go to auto zone and ask for it it will make ur plastic shiny as fullbore

bluebaron
08-28-2002, 09:01 AM
pc racing plasic renew. it works great.:D

vortex
08-28-2002, 09:37 PM
i use those pledge wipe things , works great and cheap

Z-King
08-28-2002, 10:56 PM
wd-40

DESDAK4
08-28-2002, 10:59 PM
I use wisk and Son of a gun
Jay

jc_sportrax
08-29-2002, 06:06 AM
DON"T EVER USE SON OF A GUN or armor all or anything like that on your plastic!!! I used it when I first got mine and it started to eat off the gloss (shiny stuff) coating off the plastics. my back fenders are no longer shiny becouse of it!!! But thankfully, I noticed it in time to save my finish. The turtle wax spray stuff that I use brought back most of the shine that was eaten off by that crap! I think I have a pic... Ok notice in this pic how faded the top of the rear fender is towards the rear of the quad!! that's what son of a gun does!!!:grr

DESDAK4
08-29-2002, 06:15 AM
It hasn't done that too mine at all. I do only use a very small amount and the quad is washed often along with a good waxing every month or so.
Jay

jc_sportrax
08-29-2002, 06:16 AM
Ok.. so you can see what I'm talking about better, here is a slightly larger verson of that pic... the red curcle is arround the most faded part, and the arrow in the curcle points to the worst spot. This is not the only place this happened, there were spots all over my plastics like this. The turtle wax Express Shine spray wax fixed them though...Thank god!!!

400exNH
08-29-2002, 06:48 AM
I've been using STP Son of a Gun for a long time now and have had no problems at all. Stuff works great!

DantheEXman
08-30-2002, 11:21 AM
If you have scratches, just take a torch, and hold it about 6 inches away from the plastic, and constantly move it back and forth. But be carfull not to do one section too long or your plastic will cave in slightly. So it is a good idea to hold your free hand under the plastic and if your hand starts to burn, give it a rest. But this method takes small and sometimes deep scratches, if your patent, out of your plastic and makes it shiny enough to see your reflection :p . BUT BE CARFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT IT

Porkchop
08-30-2002, 12:20 PM
Dan thats a very good idea..... I should try that sometime:)

Str8Wicked
08-30-2002, 03:47 PM
They have plastic polish that I used to use on the black plastic mirrors that were on my wife's astro van. Since they were black they used to show scratches a lot and the plastic polish did a great job. forgot the name but i got it at Pep Boys

yamaha1470
08-30-2002, 07:19 PM
Forgot where i found this but i just did it today and it made the quad so shiny and my plastics werent that faded. It would work great on faded or older plastics. Also makes the quad smell nice!

Bring that old plastic back to life.

Here is a way to avoid spending hundreds of dollars for new plastic. Take a bottle of Fantastik cleaning spray, a bottle of Dawn liquid soap and a bristled brush. (Toothbrushes or car scrubbers with large white bristles work best.) First pour some Dawn soap onto the plastic in a swirl design. Next, spray a good amount of Fantastik cleaner on top of the soap and plastic. After a few moments, begin brushing the plastic with lit pressure and work area for several minutes. Spray off with water and you will be left with a incredible shine crystal clean plastic. (Fantastik spray and Dawn cause a mixture that brings out fades and staines. Works amazing on deck furniture too.)

ridered86
08-31-2002, 09:57 PM
after i wash it real good, i use formula 2001 the stuff is awesome. gets em lookin like new

4HUN
09-01-2002, 01:09 AM
Future Floor wax. Works wonders!

ryanh250ex
09-01-2002, 09:55 AM
i havent tried it yet, but i heard simple green makes stuff look nice and clean.

300EXrider02
09-01-2002, 11:09 AM
3m plastic polish!! works awesome