PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for removing a tight oil drain plug?

nakomis0
08-27-2002, 06:09 PM
My oil drain plug on my tank is very tight for some reason. I try not to tighten it much because I know how easy it is to crack the bottom of the tank.

I'm afraid if I try to remove it this time its gonna break. I'd really like to change my oil before I go riding this weekend.

Any good tips for removing this sucker?

Pappy
08-27-2002, 06:17 PM
mine felt too tight last time i did my service..so i started my quad..let it warm up...then shut it of and it came right out. maybe it will help..i dunno

Woodsrider
08-28-2002, 06:37 AM
Yep try what pappy said, then when you get it out, replace that crush washer that is all smashed down on your drain plug with a new one from the dealer. it is supposed to be relaced every time it comes off.

A lot of people don't realize that the two crush washers need to be replaced, and end up trashing their tank or stipping out the case.
I buy the washers at the dealer 10 at a time, there good to have on hand.

tants
08-28-2002, 08:26 AM
warm up the quad, take a deep socket, and tap it with a hammer and it should pop right off

yamaha1470
08-29-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Yep try what pappy said, then when you get it out, replace that crush washer that is all smashed down on your drain plug with a new one from the dealer. it is supposed to be relaced every time it comes off.

A lot of people don't realize that the two crush washers need to be replaced, and end up trashing their tank or stipping out the case.
I buy the washers at the dealer 10 at a time, there good to have on hand.

How much are these? Do you mean the big washer that sorta goes in the bottom of the tank or are u talkin abt another one?

Pappy
08-29-2002, 09:18 AM
im pretty sure he is refering to the washer that stays on the drain bolt itself. i too am guilty of not replacing mine.....but that will be corrected:D

yamaha1470
08-29-2002, 09:50 AM
sorry for bein dumb but i dont wanna ruin my tank. I was looking for the part on service honda and all there is is the sealing washer and the bolt. So your sayin to replace that bolt everytime you change the oil??

Thanks for your help.

Pappy
08-29-2002, 09:56 AM
not the bolt...and i havent looked at the parts veiw, but it sounds like its the sealing washer you are lookin at

Wired
08-29-2002, 05:36 PM
hmm replace the washer everytime it comes off? no wonder mine leaks :blah lol

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Sorry I haven't replied, I just got back from the dunes. Yes it is the sealing washer. Honda mechanics hace always called it a "crush washer" because you crush it when you tighten the plug. DO NOT OVER TOURQUE!! You will fill it crush when you tighten it with a wrench.
Honda uses the same style washers on all there drain plugs, cars too.

You should be able to get them for around $1.50 for a sack of 10 I think. Ask for the ones for your tank and case both.

yamaha1470
08-29-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
[BA lot of people don't realize that the two crush washers need to be replaced, and end up trashing their tank or stipping out the case. [/B]

Last question i promise! What 2 crush washers? I know the sealing one on the oil tank. Wheres the other one? Thanks

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:34 PM
the drain plug on the case has one too. I would take a pic, but my quad aint here.

yamaha1470
08-29-2002, 08:37 PM
OK I know what your talking about. Thanks a lot for your help. I guess ill start replacing them.