PDA

View Full Version : ltr vs. trx

300ex03_619
08-27-2006, 05:34 PM
i recently found an lt250r for $200 but it needs restoring, i was looking for a trx250r when i found this, but i was wondering, how does the lt250r compare to the trx250r???

250R-Dee
08-27-2006, 05:52 PM
The LT250R actually produces more horsepower than the TRX250R but the handling is horrible and lt will encounter more mechanical problems than the trx. There are also more parts available for the TRX.

If the LT is in running condition I would get it and give it some TLC. You can always sell it after you find a TRX.

08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
i like the LT250rs, they were alot faster then people give them credit for...like it was said earlier, the Lts made more power then the honda....just restore it correctly (dont go the cheap way out on anything ) and youll have yourself a fairly inexpensive rare high performace machine

Scott-300ex
08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Trx's beat the Ltr's in the magazines for overall.

My uncle has a ltr, and I've heard of many others that have a lot of frame/swinger trouble. I walked by my uncle fixing his swinger and found that the axle bearing was cracked too. Had to fix his swinger 3 times, and he has a rope around his bumper cuz he needs to get pulled back a lot.

When it runs its pretty quick though.

I raced guys down where I ride. They were all drag only bikes, there was an ltr there and he was real close to me but I had 1/2 a bike on him every time.

He had extended swinger and all stuff so I'm sure it was built, not sayin how much though.

Fast like the trx, have a welder handy for the frame.

wilkin250r
08-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Well, keep in mind with all the bad news, NO quad is invincible. You would be hard-pressed to find a used 250r frame with no cracks or welds, but that doesn't make them junk.

True, their handling isn't superb, but does it matter all THAT much? It's not a 250r, but that doesn't mean that it's going to swerve left whenever you steer to the right. Unless you're hitting whoops 3ft tall in 4th gear, or busting out 40ft doubles, I wouldn't worry too much about the handling. There are still suspension upgrades available, and even in stock form, it would suit the needs of most any recreational rider, even those that like to push limits every now and then.

The 250r is top-notch, but that doesn't mean an LT is complete junk. Half the people I see on a 250r don't use it to it's full capabilities, and would be just fine on an LT. They're quick, they're fun, and in stock form, is capable of almost anything that a stock 250r is capable of. The differences really only come out in extensive upgrades.

Scott-300ex
09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Thats right Wilkin, and you can do more on an lt than others can do on a r if your a better rider.

I'm glad I had a 300ex, when I wanted something faster, I learnt a lot more on how to make it faster, ride faster, use all the power, if I started out on my 250r I wouldn't know how to ride it like I do now, when you want more power you get bored and then learn how to get more power and ride better.

An lt is a fast bike.