PDA

View Full Version : Axle

sunco
08-27-2006, 04:11 PM
My friend & I put a lone star axle in the other day. When we took the old out there was no grease on the spline. I just bought a new quad for my kids from honda & I could see they had grease on the spine. Should we take his apart & grease it?

400exMO
08-27-2006, 08:08 PM
yes, grease the crap out of the inside of the carrier where the axle is.

rockman
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
can i ask why you would grease the crap out of the inside of the carrier? most quads have a sleeve in the carrier the the axle rides in. this sleeve turns with the axle and rides in the bearings. They are greased from factory, and unless you replace the bearings you shouldn't have any reason to take out the sleeve. all the grease is between the sleeve and the carrier.

400exMO
09-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure, I've never had a problem with using grease there. And I've never heard anyone on this site that says grease isn't needed there. Someone step in and tell us why grease is needed inbetween the sleeve and axle.

rockman
09-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't use any grease. I grease it a LITTLE so that it makes it easier to take out later. All i was saying is there isn't any need to "grease the crap outta it". A little grease helps things go together and come apart a whole lot easier, as well as repel water and dirt and grime.

jonboy
09-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I agree with Rockman. The grease that you saw on the new quad was probably installation lube. Most bearings that are in swingarms are sealed bearings. This is so nothing gets inside them because it is such a critical bearing. Even if you did grease the crap out of them it would never purge into the bearing itself, thus making it pointless to grease in the first place. The only reason to put grease into the carrier would be if you had an unsealed bearing or a tapered bearing carrier.

JW450R1
09-03-2006, 05:26 AM
your swing arm bearings can be repacted with grease.i take my bearing out every 5-6 rides and clean and repact them with new grease.

rockman
09-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by sunco
My friend & I put a lone star axle in the other day. When we took the old out there was no grease on the spline. I just bought a new quad for my kids from honda & I could see they had grease on the spine. Should we take his apart & grease it?

WAIT HOLDUP... ok so lets start back from the beginning here. What quad does your friend have?

sunco
09-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I was @ breezewood all weekend. He has a 450YFZ. The new quad I bought was a 250 EX. Now my bearing went on the swing arm so I have to take mine apart also & redo it. I have an 04 450R.