PDA

View Full Version : fox air shocks

quadracer707
08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
WE have a yfz450 & have elka shocks on front Has anyone used or are using FOX air shocks. I know some pros dont like them cause the air goes low, but they race over 20 minutes Us A B C riders usually race 8-10 minutes. any input deeply appreciated

Thanx

400exrider707
08-27-2006, 06:55 PM
They dont lose air. They heat up and fade. Heat has much more of an effect on air than a regular gas/oil shock. They are supposed to be awesome though.

QuadJunkies
08-28-2006, 08:46 AM
I heard they are VERY EXPENSIVE to have serviced though :eek2:

08-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I heard when John Natalie was running them that fade was indeed an issue as they would start the race with them extra stiff because by the end of the race they would be right where they needed to be.

Aside from that, I've heard great things about them.

jeremy_283
09-01-2006, 04:58 AM
The coil shock is much tougher then any air shock....... but as long as you are not constantly bottoming out your fronts hard you should be fine

4strokemadman
09-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Just a fyi the Fox air shock is a gas/oil shock. A gas/oil shock is a shock in which the damper is filled with oil and the oil is pressurised by a nitrogen charge to prevent cavitation. The air portion of a FOX air shock refers to the Air Spring. The only difference between a Fox air shock and a conventional shock is that it has an Air Spring.

When you talk about fade usually this means that the oil in the damper changes it's properties (viscosity) enough to notice a change in damping. This can happen to any shock. With proper tuning and oil selection this can be made to go away.

Durability wise I'm not sure that an air shock is any more or less durable than an oil shock. If you take proper care of your (rebuildable) shocks then you change the oil (and probobly seals) at least once a season. The Fox air shock has air sleeve seals that need to be serviced in addition to the regular damper seals.

bwamos
09-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Fox shocks would have a definate advantage in MX I'd think due to the reduced weight.. but anywhere else I'd jstu go with the good old coil over shock.