PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust parking brake????

mykeg11
08-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I was hoping someone can tell me how to adust (tighten) the parking brake on my 05' 400ex. Its not working at all. I'm going to be selling it soon so I want it in perfect working condition.

I already know the pros on removing it all together but since I'm selling it I want the buyer to know its in tip-top working order.

rooster_20
08-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Umm on my 02 there was a screw on the back of the brake caliber that you tightned down. It pushes against that pin that pushes against the brake pads hope i helped

Roman
08-28-2006, 08:56 AM
FIRST, MAKE SURE that everything is moving freely as it should. If it's frozen or just really sticky you'll need to tear it apart and wire brush it all clean, regrease, re-assemble and adjust.

If it just needs adjusted then loosen the nut on the bolt that's sticking out of the brake (12mm). Tighten the bolt as tight as you can with your fingers. Then give the bolt about an 1/8 of a turn with a wrench (again 12mm). Hold the bolt from moving and tighten the nut back down. It should work great now!!

Roman

Quad Dude
08-28-2006, 02:33 PM
just leave it in gear. all parking brakes on on quads are a complete wast of time and they dont work and the ruin brake pads sooner. my sugestion is to buy a block off and throw the whole assembly away.

08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Quad Dude
just leave it in gear. all parking brakes on on quads are a complete wast of time and they dont work and the ruin brake pads sooner. my sugestion is to buy a block off and throw the whole assembly away.

I'd prolly pay $10 more for a quad with that worthless thing ripped off and blocked, than in perfect working order.

GPracer2500
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Agreed. Get a block-off and get rid of the whole assembly if you're worried about it. Even when new they don't work very well. The YFZ and Rap700 parking brakes actually work alright but the Honda's are next to worthless.

krt400ex
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
i don't use the parking brake, i just put the bike in gear. i will be getting a block off sometime

Woodrowbt
08-28-2006, 06:47 PM
i bought mine brand new.....1st day i brought it home in the back of my truck it worked......2nd time i went riding and tried to use it in the back of my truck and it was broke.....piece of crap.

johnsls
08-29-2006, 06:16 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remove it and block it off, if you need buy tie downs when transporting.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)