PDA

View Full Version : ""how much oil in the case.""

Hondaboy007
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
i have a 2003 ltz 400 and can't remember how much oil goes in there, is it a full quart?

IrideMHSC
08-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I always just go with the 2.3 quarts and put it in the main front resevoir. then just fire it up and let the oil circulate

Dr89
09-04-2006, 07:30 PM
wht kind of oil do you all run in yours?? i dont have a manual but i was thinkin the last time i changed it out i used
5w-30...is that right? its gonna need it soon so wht do you guys run?

drzoo2
09-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Not conventional 5w-30. You need to run oil made specifically for a wet clutch. This does not include regular motor oil. Go to your dealer and pick up what you need. Regular motor oil contains friction modifiers and will cause clutch slipage.

z

4stroke4ever400
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by drzoo2
Not conventional 5w-30. You need to run oil made specifically for a wet clutch. This does not include regular motor oil. Go to your dealer and pick up what you need. Regular motor oil contains friction modifiers and will cause clutch slipage.

z
i swear ppl are f**cking retared!!
you can use regular motor oil aslong as it doesnt have the little donut on the bottle that says it energy conserving or something like that.

and is 2.1 quarts wiht no filter change
2.2 quarts if you change the filter and
2.3 if you break apart the motor

Dr89
09-05-2006, 04:26 PM
with spelling like that i wouldnt be calling anyone retarded. im sure regular motor oil would work but he's talking about whats BEST for a specific engine type, cars dont run the same way a fourwheeler or motorcycle does. i'll check out the dealer tomorrow drzoo2

4stroke4ever400
09-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Well considering I probly no a hell of a lot more then drzoo consider I race mx and have rebuilt plenty of z400/kfx/dvx and know the motor inside and out I can tell regular motor oil will be good for ur application and my friends has a kfx 400 and has been running regular motor oil since he bought it and there's no clutch slip cams and everything is good. Unless your really running a hig performance motor like a big bore you don't really need to run synthetic or motorcycle oil. Aslong as its not energy conservation then its ok for a wet clutch system. Trust me I know my stuff.

Dr89
09-05-2006, 06:26 PM
yes im sure you do know wht your talking about, and regular motor oil prolly wouldnt do me any harm, but i think i'll stick with the synthetic stuff, after searching around it seems to be the way to go.

drzoo2
09-05-2006, 06:35 PM
dr89 Thanks for listening with an open mind.

4ever , were did I step on your toes at? Why are pissing all over me? Do some research. Try.....

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=94
What does it say at the bottom. Guess valvoline doesn't race. Their stupid.

Hey another article...
http://www.eliteetc.com/howdomo1mocy.html
Gee, why would mobile (who also has no race experiance) make an oil just for bikes and quads? Their stupid too. Hey just forget that part about no friction modifiers.

Anyway he is flat wrong about using car oil in a wet clutch application. Not recommended. I didn't say it wouldn't work. Use any good oil (synthetic or petrolium based) designed for a wet clutch. It may cost a buck or 2 more....but it's DESIGNED for this.

Z
P.S sorry for the rant but man. Why are people like this?

Dr89
09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
haha im gonna go out on a limb and guess that he saw you only had 9 posts and figured that nobody with just 9 posts could POSSIBLY know wht they're talking about...yea i did some searching of my own too and didnt find anything that recommended using regular car oil.

drzoo2
09-05-2006, 06:54 PM
He was part right. That donut, energy conserve thingy (his words) he didn't know about.....

Means contains friction modifiers.

z

4stroke4ever400
09-05-2006, 07:44 PM
ok well maybe the retard comment wasnt needed but jsut face it your wrong. Go over on z400central ask clone, normalz all those guys that have or had very high performance motors wut they ran. They all ran regular 10w-40 motor oil.