PDA

View Full Version : 16 and saving up for a streetbike

xtullyx16
08-27-2006, 02:12 PM
soo im just starting my plan of saving up for a streetbike.. i was wondering how much should i save up soo i could buy a reasonable bike? and what are sum reasonable bikes (looks,speed,handling, and maintenance)?? i really wanna get one soon soo i can rip on the road.. nothing 2 powerful but a good beginner or just sumthin i wont get bored of right away

thanks

xtullyx16
08-27-2006, 02:17 PM
to the top! any one know anything?

Zeppelin03
08-27-2006, 02:20 PM
well if your getting a starter bike a 600 is a good engine size...the 250's are a waste fo money imo...All the 600 class are all pretty much the same specs so they perform about the same. If you get something used the price wouldnt be to bad and if your going for looks i wouldnt worry about it because on your first bike your probaly going to drop it a few times. If you can come across a deal like my friend got you'd be set. He bought a 94' CBR 600 for 700 bucks...it needed some paint, a tail light, a mirror and a windsheild but for the money it runs like a charm..so when you get some money just keep your eyes pealed for some good deals.

QuadManKev
08-27-2006, 03:13 PM
definately start out with a 600, but all of the 600's are different. i would say try out the cbr600f4i. Its a step down from the cbr600rr. they are a little different size wise, and the 600rr is faster, but the f4i is more comfortable and gets better gas mileage. if your small then try out the gsxr600. its the smallest of the 600 class i believe, and its a very quick bike. you also have the choice of the R6, which is the fastest and nicest 600 out right now, but its also the biggest.

Zeppelin03
08-27-2006, 03:18 PM
yeah..im sure they all have a different feel but my step brother worked at a bike shop and all the specs of the more competitive 600's are all about the same ...I think its which one feels best to you and just overall personal preferance... If you can get any 600 for a good price i'd snatch it up even if its one of the faster 600's...just because the power is there dont use it like a moron. If your smart and take it easy at first you wont end up killing yourself

suck my pipe
08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I started on my 2005 Gsxr 750, and I love this bike if i would of got a 600 i would be board.

xtullyx16
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
im 5'7 is that pretty small for a bike?? im sure ill be growing soon due to be almost 17! and my dads 6'3 and moms 5'7

GPracer2500
08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I would not get a 600cc sport bike as a first bike (i.e. cbr, gsxr, r6, etc...). Don't be fooled--any of the newer 600 inline fours are NOT beginner bikes.

For a teenager, I'd look for an Kawasaki EX500, Suzuki GS500, Honda HawkGT (only made from 88-91 so they're not real common but outstanding bikes), or even a Honda CB-1 (also not very common but great bikes). If you are mature and responsible for your age (be realistic!) then an SV650 would be a good choice.

None of the above bikes are boring. Starting on a smaller, less powerful bike will make you a MUCH BETTER RIDER in FAR LESS TIME than if you started on a 600cc supersport-style bike.

JMO

WoofersInc
08-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Definitely start with something in the 600cc range. Look at the Honda 599. Great all around bike. I have been riding for over 20 years now. I have owned several bikes from sportbikes to cruisers. I did the Superbike school at Willow Springs and such. I am currently riding a CBR 600RR. Why a 600. It is more than fast enough for any rider. We are on the street guys not the race track! If I had bought a 1000cc bike the insurance would have been $2000 a year. For the 600 I'm paying $550.
As a beginner rider get a good standard type bike. The insurance will be cheaper, less expense if you drop it etc... Then as you get better move up to a bigger faster bike.
I started on a 500cc standard and went up from there.

Suck my Pipe. Having the faster bike does not make you a faster rider. A better rider on a smaller bike will still always beat you. That 750 may be SLIGHTLY faster in a straight line but when was the last time you had it flat out? How fast can you corner? There is a lot more to it than opening the throttle and hanging on.

QuadManKev
08-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
im 5'7 is that pretty small for a bike?? im sure ill be growing soon due to be almost 17! and my dads 6'3 and moms 5'7

5'7" isnt huge, but its not too small at all. if you look at all the MotoGP guys you would see that most of them are around 5'1"-5'6". Dani Pedrosa is like 5'1" and he weighs under 110 pounds, and he races MotoGP, so as long as you can keep the bike up for the little amount of time that your stopped then your good.

xtullyx16
08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
sooo what kind of bike should i be lookin at again?? 600cc or lower?? ill check on ebay and local ads if ik what im lookin for! i have $120 dollars saved up soo far.. soo it shouldnt take 2 long... but ill have to buy one without my dad knowing cause it freaks him out... is there any licenses and stuff ill have to go and get?

<DRS>GPF
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
at 16, you may be limited to small cc bikes because you might not be able to test on a larger bike..like 250cc or less..

for instance, unless its changed, Illinois is limited to 175cc for under 18yrs..

but as mentioned earlier, smaller cc engines are a waste of $$..

i do some price shopping to see what's a good price..

for a good used crotch rocket(600cc or higher).. id look for the 3500 to 4000 prices..

if youre in a real crunch for money, look for an older, well maintained bike.. lots of nighthawks, interceptors, fj's etc. floating around for only a couple thousand..

QuadManKev
08-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
at 16, you may be limited to small cc bikes because you might not be able to test on a larger bike..like 250cc or less..

for instance, unless its changed, Illinois is limited to 175cc for under 18yrs..

but as mentioned earlier, smaller cc engines are a waste of $$..

i do some price shopping to see what's a good price..

for a good used crotch rocket(600cc or higher).. id look for the 3500 to 4000 prices..

if youre in a real crunch for money, look for an older, well maintained bike.. lots of nighthawks, interceptors, fj's etc. floating around for only a couple thousand..

also look at the Honda Fireblade, its either a 900 or a 929, but size wise its the same size as the 600's, it handles good.....you wont have any trouble dragging a knee every once and a while if thats your style.....its faster, and its affordable.

400exstud
08-27-2006, 06:22 PM
^^^^^ That may be a problem because in many states you must have you must show that you are financially stable in case you kill someone else. Because most 16 year olds are not extreamly wealthy they have to get their guardian to sign for them.

I know that I just jumbled together a lot of confusing things but does it make any sence or is it clear as muddy water?

Titanium
08-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Katana would be perfect. its not a real fast bike. its not a super expensive bike and its a good beginner bike.

firefighterjosh
08-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Don't get a CBR 600 or anything like that. The smaller 600s are accually quicker then the bigger bore bikes. get your self a good running but, decent shape bike. GPRacer had some realyl good suggestions. If you get a 600 you will prally kill yourself.

Honda400exrox
08-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
soo im just starting my plan of saving up for a streetbike.. i was wondering how much should i save up soo i could buy a reasonable bike? and what are sum reasonable bikes (looks,speed,handling, and maintenance)?? i really wanna get one soon soo i can rip on the road.. nothing 2 powerful but a good beginner or just sumthin i wont get bored of right away

thanks

Who wants to buy this kid a casket?

00tn300ex
08-27-2006, 10:22 PM
i started out with a 02 954rr that i still have.my suggestion would be a 600f4i for one reason,fuel injected.you should be able to find a good one for about 3500.try to find one with cosmetic damage so you can get it cheap.It doesnt matter,you will eventually lay it down neways just wait and fix it when you do.

WhiteZrider
08-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Get an GSXR 1000 or a R1 lol

yamablaster24
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I started riding motorcycles at 15 1/2 on my Yamaha Exciter 185cc street bike. After a wreck and about 4,000 miles and a year of riding i decided it was time to step up and I recently bought a 1995 CBR600 F3. I fell in love with this bike and at the age of 16 it was plenty fast for me when i first got it. After 4,000 miles that i have put on it (I got it when it had 3,500) I feel that i ride this bike to its full potential and i need something with more power. No im not doing 155 everywhere i go, but i am into dragging the bike and I am also into dragging a knee. I have been told if I didnt have my bike lowered 2 1/2" it would handle better but its fine for me. I think you should get like a Suzuki Gs500 i think its called or a honda interceptor. You should be able to get one around 2000. I got my Cbr for 2700 with a lot of stuff done to it already.

BTW dont be stupid w/e you get, i remember the first week i had mine topping it out down a country road and i then realized how stupid i was. 175+ a deer, dog, heck even a squirrel would cause instant control-death.

Hell, just be a man and get a turbo-busa pumpin out 499hp, I honestly think you have be the most self controlled person there is to ride that. I know if i was on it i would be dead after the first straightaway i hit ended.

mickey400ex
08-28-2006, 12:50 AM
i honestly think u need to wait a couple years for a bike, because i know whatever you get that will you eventually get dumb on it, you may think right now or shortly after you get that you will ride responsible and not get crazy, but it would be only a matter of time before your doing 150 and showing out to impress friends and girls, i think if you dont have a vehicle that you should buy a car/truck first to drive on the road because you may not realize it but you have alot of responsibility on the highway, but thats just my opinion

1fastR
08-28-2006, 06:45 AM
BTW dont be stupid w/e you get, i remember the first week i had mine topping it out down a country road and i then realized how stupid i was. 175+ a deer, dog, heck even a squirrel would cause instant control-death.

thiers no way that thing goes anywhere around 175mph,

I started riding at 19
first bike 1993 gsxr 750
second 2001gsxr 600
third 2003 gsxr 1000-very fast

for your first bike I would get a old cbr 600 f2 or f3

tater_kamik
08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
wait buddy, wait. but if you are dead set on a bike and can afford one, as well as tires, oil, replacement parts when you wreck, etc... then the smaller cc bikes are the best bet. get one that is common (which will make replacement parts easy to find and cheap hopefully) understand that in my opinion, it doesnt matter what you ride, but how you ride it. all of the bikes out there can go fast, very fast and get you into trouble quickly. imexperience, alchohol, sheer stupidity will get you every time. control yourself every time you ride, wear your gear, and understand that you will wreck, and you will be ok.

Mxjunkie
08-28-2006, 10:05 AM
16 and saving for insurance more like it :p

Architects
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I would not get a 600cc sport bike as a first bike (i.e. cbr, gsxr, r6, etc...). Don't be fooled--any of the newer 600 inline fours are NOT beginner bikes.

For a teenager, I'd look for an Kawasaki EX500, Suzuki GS500, Honda HawkGT (only made from 88-91 so they're not real common but outstanding bikes), or even a Honda CB-1 (also not very common but great bikes). If you are mature and responsible for your age (be realistic!) then an SV650 would be a good choice.

None of the above bikes are boring. Starting on a smaller, less powerful bike will make you a MUCH BETTER RIDER in FAR LESS TIME than if you started on a 600cc supersport-style bike.

JMO

Agree 100%. So many people start off on bikes way to powerful and get in over there heads.

xtullyx16
08-28-2006, 12:34 PM
hey guys just got home from school and i checked out all the replies soo ahh heres sum answers to ur questioins.. i live in ohio if that matters about the age restrictions or engine size.. i do have a job at my local grocery store and i paid my truck off and im paying insurance.. any other questions?? now, i could prolly save 100 buck every week except the week right before my insurance bill soo im sure my money would add up quick.... and soo for my first bike i should really be lookin for a old honda 600 fyi? im not lookin for anything spectacular but just sumthin to have fun on ( not crazy stupid fun) but just fun.. and for the gear what should i get besides a helmet and gloves?? kneepads haha?? a vest?? thanks

Toadz400
08-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Just go out and find an old beater bike to learn how to ride on. My current ride is a '76 KZ400 that I'm working on fixing up. It's the most comfortable motorcycle I've ridden (I've ridden a few, including a rocket) and it's got enough power to get me up to 70 in a decent amount of time. The total cost of my bike? Free + $150 insurance once a year.

I wouldn't suggest going out and buying a sportbike right away, especially since it sounds like you have no experience with motorcycles.

mickey400ex
08-28-2006, 02:41 PM
if your dead set on it, then like said above, look into a good used bike, the only thing about getting a starter bike is this time next yr you will be kicking yourself in the balls, look around for something like a 99-01 cbr f4 or something of that nature, you can find some good deals on them for about 4 grand, and oh yeah besides a helmet and gloves, get a good leather jacket with the armor in it

bsjoe
08-28-2006, 02:51 PM
sorry to steal your thred, but I'm 16 as well and I'm dead set on getting a motor cycle too.

I was thinking about an R6... what do you all think? It has to be a crotch rocket because thats what I like and I dont want to spend money on a hog or somthing that I wont enjoy riding.

(sounds stupid but,) I rode a home made moped thingy, 150cc "street bike" for 2 and a half years where I live so I'm not stupid, I've been through hard conditions like potholes, traffic, rainy conditions etc. so I do know some about handling a bike on the street, so I'm not exactly looking fora bike to "learn on"

reccomendations(sp?) I'd be buying used, no more then 5,000$ looking for it to be probably newer too, like year 2000 and up

400exstud
08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Just wondering.........do any of you even have your bike licence.

I do:p . I just need to get out on Pa's Heritage Softtail classic. Yeah I am also 125 lbs.

yamablaster24
08-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by 1fastR

thiers no way that thing goes anywhere around 175mph,

I started riding at 19
first bike 1993 gsxr 750
second 2001gsxr 600
third 2003 gsxr 1000-very fast

for your first bike I would get a old cbr 600 f2 or f3

Well thats what the speedo says I think its about 20 off though.

ShiftFMX
08-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
Who wants to buy this kid a casket?

Thats what I was thinking before I even opened up this thread :scary:

milehigh450r
08-28-2006, 10:51 PM
I weigh over 200 and my f4i was fast as hell. You being a much smaller guy would be way over your head on a 600 it sounds like. Whatever you buy, be careful, and wear a helmet. I saw a guy wreck just today when he low sided. That said, my next bike is gonna be a monster, probably the new v-max. :devil:

Toadz400
08-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by milehigh450r
I weigh over 200 and my f4i was fast as hell. You being a much smaller guy would be way over your head on a 600 it sounds like. Whatever you buy, be careful, and wear a helmet. I saw a guy wreck just today when he low sided. That said, my next bike is gonna be a monster, probably the new v-max. :devil:

Right now the V-Max is my dream bike, some day I WILL own that bike!

Well, it sounds like you guys are dead set on those crotch rockets...so just go out and buy a really nice 600. Chances are we'll be hearing from you from the hospital or you're going to be complaining about ruining your nice shiny bike after dumping it.

Oh and bsjoe, pretty sure there's a BIG difference between a 150cc street bike and a 600cc inline 4 cylinder race bike that weighs 3 times as much as that little bike.

Just be careful you guys, whatever you decide on getting. Ride smart, and never try to impress anyone or even impress yourself. Ride at your own capabilities and KNOW your limits, otherwise you're going to end up roadkill.

Regular_Joe
08-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Engine size means nothing. You have to look at the overall engine setup and configuration. The 600cc Supersport bikes are extreme. Any 600cc will do about 70mph in first gear before redline. Any 1000cc will do about 100mph in first before redline and will do power wheelies in 1-3 anywhere under 100mph. Thats just way too much power for 99% of the population for a first bike.

In the past 4 years I have owned:
03 CBR F4i 600 (new)
02 Ninja 250 (used)
02 Suzuki GZ250 (used)
02 Suzuki SV650 (new)
02 Suzuki LS650 (used)

I wanted a sportbike and wanted the gf to ride too. I got the new CBR and I got her a used Ninja. I thought the CBR was the **** and I was so cool on it. But that was just it. Nothing more than cool. In all practical terms it wasn't much fun. The riding position sucked and it hurt my wrists. It killed me just trying to get out of town to some good roads. Under 5k the bike has no power and feels like its about to stall, but that is about 25mph in first gear. That means tons of slipping the clutch to go any kind of slow or in traffic.

Same w/ the Ninja. It was more upright but the front shocks sucked and dived a lot. Braking was kinda scarry. All that makes it a bad first bike.

The gf swapped to the GZ250 since it was a cruizer and much easier to learn on. The LS650 is the same bike just w/ 400 more cc's of engine. We had the Ninja for 1.5 yrs and got nowhere. We got the GZ250 and she loved it. Within 3 months she had her license and was actually dragging pegs w/ it so we moved her up to the LS650.

About the same time my brother got an SV650. We swapped bikes and let me tell you I was in love. The v-twin engine had tons of torque down low where it was usable. The seating position was way better. Its just a friggin blast to drive. I had just bought the CBR brand new less than a year before but I didn't care. I went home and within a month I sold the CBR and bought a new SV. I couldn't be happier.

For another comparison my dad has an 1100cc Honda Shadow ACE fully decked out cruiser. What a pig. The little Ninja could outrun that thing.

Honestly if you HAVE to have a sportbike because thats whats cool, I'd suggest getting an SVS w/ a full fairing kit. All the benefits of the SV engine and drivability in the real world, w/ the looks of a sportbike.

http://www.eurobikes.com/images/jmv/SV65003-04/SV650-1a.jpg