PDA

View Full Version : pleease help

AtvRider21
08-27-2002, 03:05 PM
i dont know what to do i might want to get a new quad maybe 2 stroke for power but i dont know if i should mod my 400ex. i just want to know can u tell me what it will feel like if i put new jet and pilot, wb e series pipe slip on, k and n air filter , and fmf header what will the power gain feel like. also if i put that plus 416 kit 11:1 with , new cam , and a coupple othere things what will the power feel like then i want something that will rip an pull hard all the time and that will wheelie in the first three gears no clutch use please help should i do that or a new quad thanks

RytM1
08-27-2002, 04:32 PM
I did almost the same set up, as you can see below. Before the 416 kit, I was a little disappointed in the throttle response and seat-of-the-pants power feel of the stock EX. The 416 kit was a whole new life for it. I am more than happy with my EX now. It still won't beat too many 2-strokes, but I do stay a lot closer than before. With the silencer and filter mods, I went to a 155 main. After I removed the choke last week, I bumped the pilot to a 42, and had to raise the needle 1 notch. Look around on the site, and you will get an idea that most people who have the 416 kit are more than happy with it. It is also said to be one of the more reliable kits to use. You should also look at the money involved. Unless you are planning on getting rid of the EX, you will probably spend a few grand on a decent 2-stroke. The 416 kit from Marcum's was under $300, the cylinder boring was done locally for me for $65, and the assembly was done by me (cost=$0).

Ex'r Marlin
08-27-2002, 08:30 PM
Well put RytM1!:)

Yeah, them well tuned 2 strokers can really rip, and I am sure they are a blast to ride.

Note: On my 400, I went with a 10.8 compression piston and an aftermarket cam. That alone should really wake up your 400, it sure did for me!

Best of luck with your decision.:)

AtvRider21
08-28-2002, 06:00 PM
k il stay with ex but i want to know when i bring it in for its first service im gunna mod it after. i am guna get wb e series pipe k and n filter, i want to know what is another good mod i dont want to big bore kit it yet so whats a good power mod or two thanks..

aslo do u think a 155 main jet and 42 pilot will run perfect for those mods and will it have a goood power gain thanks soo much guys

AtvRider21
08-28-2002, 06:01 PM
and i dont want a 14 tooth front sproket k

AtvRider21
08-28-2002, 06:12 PM
ohh and maybe i want a t-4 but are they really good power gains like a e series and are they too loud thanks

RytM1
08-28-2002, 08:06 PM
The silencer and filter will wake it up a bit, but the 416 is a whole different world over stock. You may not have to run the 42 pilot though. The only reason I am is because I removed the choke. Do a search for "power mods", you may get some insight into what other people consider to be decent mods. IMHO, I think the 416 kit gave me pretty good bang for my buck. There are not too many other mods that I know of that will give you as noticeable of an increase. People will mention an auxillary oil cooler (i.e. FST's) or a larger oil tank (i.e. Pingry's), but the I don't think that the HP gain from oil that is a few degrees cooler, is worth the price of the product. The 416 kit was the second mod I did after the silencer and filter.

ratmotor99
08-28-2002, 11:57 PM
i just put the pro t-4 pipe on and a k/n, in my k N i got the kit, i rejeted the carb, i adjusted the slack in the cable, i feel like i'm rideing a horse, if i crack it the thing will go ever on my (trust me), i also would say if you live in a city find something NOT so loud !!the T-4 pipe is loud, when i ride a buddies 400 i can hear mine coming from behind and thats bad when your doing 60 mph.. but don't get me wrong its nice to tune the levels of perfomance as far as tips loven every min, can't hear when i get off but then whats the fun of riding??

Rat