PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys clean & lube your chains?

WheelieMan4
08-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I was just wondering how you guys all do it. I wanna see if there is a better way then what I'm doing.

Like what to clean it with and where exactly you lube it at..Center of chain and the sides?

I know, I sound stupid...lol, but just wanna make sure that I take care of my new chain.

Hammer trx450r
08-27-2006, 11:50 AM
take chain off and clean it with wd-40 and a brush, then add a good chain wax. Wax the chain after every ride when chain is hot. you want to spray from the middle getting both side rails from the middle not side.

MO-EX-RIDER
08-27-2006, 02:45 PM
grunge brush does wonders and i prefer bel-ray lube on sides and middle after 5min ride down the street

rlplive
08-28-2006, 08:50 AM
I use some greased lightning and a copper brush, then hose it off dry it then ride it up the street, then add some pj1 to the center of the chain

rooster300ex
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Since I use non o-ring chains when I wash my quad I just swipe the powerwasher across it real good, then I lube it up after it dries.

WheelieMan4
08-28-2006, 08:11 PM
So could I use the pressure washer on my new chain? Its an X-ring chain?? Thanks

brapbrap13
08-29-2006, 01:07 PM
power wash, wire bursh, power wash lube.

TRXNIGHTRIDER
08-29-2006, 02:10 PM
i heard that ur not suppose to use a powerwasher or a wire brush on an o-ring chain. i always use a powerwasher to clean mine tho.

rooster300ex
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by WheelieMan4
So could I use the pressure washer on my new chain? Its an X-ring chain?? Thanks

Naw I wouldn't use a powerwasher to clean an X-ring chain. I would take the chain off and spray it with something that breaks up oil&grim and then wash it out with the water hose and then let it dry and lube it up real good with your favorite chain lube.

bwamos
08-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Agree..

powerwasher only on non-ring chains.

Using a powerwasher on the x-ring chain will force water past the x-ring and trap it in there. Not really a good thing.. lol.

I like a little degreaser and an old toothbrush (wont tear up the rubber), then rinse it with a hose. Just let the water pour, dont use a sprayer, or thumb it.

Let it dry then re-lube it. I use PJ-1. 3in1 if I'm headed to the dunes. Don't want sand sticking to it.