PDA

View Full Version : mx/sx gearing

nightmare311
08-27-2006, 11:33 AM
ok i got a 426ex w/ a stage 2 cam. im running stock gears
15/38. i have no 1st. and very little 2nd. need some help
i was think of going to a 16t front. i wanted to know what ya'll guy where running for sx/mx racing.

TRX23rider
08-27-2006, 11:36 AM
a 16t with that enigne setup would probably be ideal for you for mx. many people will tell you to gear as low as possible but i find that going up is more ideal as it makes you shift less.

nightmare311
08-27-2006, 11:37 AM
thats what i was thinking... im running out of gears down the straights.

krt400ex
08-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TRX23rider
a 16t with that enigne setup would probably be ideal for you for mx. many people will tell you to gear as low as possible but i find that going up is more ideal as it makes you shift less.

that is good and bad.

1. going up will allow u to use the torque curve and shift less. this is only effective if u have alot of bottom and can carry a gear or 2 high.

2.it is better to gear it a little lower because u will amplify the powerband and will be able to carry it a gear or 2 high as well. this means that u will have the effect of more power it will be harder to fall off the pipe and u will be shifting less because u will be able to carry a higher gear.

so here r 2 diff. angles to look at. also, u will want to base ur descision on what kind of a track ur riding at. r there alot of tight turns and not many bigt straights?? then gear it down. r there more straights and less turns, or r there sweeping turns instead of corners?? gear it taller

TRX23rider
08-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex

so here r 2 diff. angles to look at. also, u will want to base ur descision on what kind of a track ur riding at. r there alot of tight turns and not many bigt straights?? then gear it down. r there more straights and less turns, or r there sweeping turns instead of corners?? gear it taller

that is a good point. it take no more than 10 min. to change a sprocket so get one tooth bigger and change it according to what track you are at and you riding style