PDA

View Full Version : Asking for some opinions....

Mx_523
08-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Well, right now I'm in my Junior year of highschool. I need some sort of transportation for work, school and just go drive anywhere. Now my plan was to buy a truck by beginning/mid summer of 07. I'd have about 4k+ to spend on a truck. I would then but a bike to race when I would of get the money. But it would be a rather expensive way into things. 4k for the truck, $1,500+ for insurance, $100 for random crap (Licence, regerstration) $2,500 for a bike, $300+ plus for riding at tracks (Gas admission ect) a month, then random crap the breaks on the bike. All in all it comes out to about 9k give or take a few dollars.

Thats a lot for a 17 year old to pump out in a year or so. When I graduate I plan on joining the Services (probably the Army) as a carrear/ jump start my life. So theres basically 9 grand out the door. Now I was thinking, is it worth it? All of this money going into something I am obsessed with for about a year. Also God forbid if I get injured seriously. There goings my future.

I was thinking about hanging up the helmet and buy a little four banger. Something good on gas quick and fun to cruise around in. It would be a lot cheaper, Maybe 5 or 6 grand in total. I asboultuly love this sport and I wanted to get into motocross but considering time is against me and money is tight as a virgen I don't know if I could afford it, you know what I mean?

I love this sport. its all I think about. My life revolves around quads and motocross. Its what I'm know for with my friends. I wouldn't trade anything in the world for it but time and money aren't on my side.

Sorry for the long post, just want to hear your opinions.

Mx_523
08-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
thats what im going to do :ermm:

because i cant pay for a truck and 4 wheeler at the same time

but then i was like what would my hobby be because thats the only thing i do:ermm:

Well the hobby deal is solved for me. With school, work and chilling with friends my time is already taken up. Plus I was going to get more into BMX if I have time.

CannondaleRider
08-26-2006, 01:22 AM
All I can say, is that is a choice you'll have to make for yourself.

Mx_523
08-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
All I can say, is that is a choice you'll have to make for yourself.

I see what you mean, I'm not asking people to choose for me. Its my life, I'll make the decisions. I'm just curious to see what other people think and suggestions on what to do.

Mx_523
08-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Bump.

08-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Sure hang up your helmet for now and buy you a truck that way you can have transportacion back and forth to work...
save up your money and buy you another toy...

08-26-2006, 02:19 PM
no offense but if you did better in school in the first place im sure your parents would help you out

but no offense to you mx523 i like you, i would sell ur 250x, buy a truck to get to work and school (study a lot) get good grades, show your parents you are trying, as see if they will do anything for you to help you out...

A A R O N
08-26-2006, 07:32 PM
$9k just isn't practical. We bought a 92 mazda truck with like 70k miles on it for $1500, and havn't put a cent into it except gas....which isn't much btw. It gets 30 mpg highway and so far we've put 20k miles on it with no issues whatsoever. Just buy a truck like that, and a 125cc pinger for $1500....they're all over the place for that much, and nice ones at that. It's a win win situation....operating expenses won't be much cause foreign compact trucks are pretty dam solid, and 125 2-strokes are so cheap to fix/maintain it's almost comical. Plus when you go to sell it all, you won't lose much cause you didn't spend a ton in the first place. The mazda is a little cramped sometimes, but it gets the quad, cooler, two tool boxes, gas cans, gear, random stuff and two people to the races fine. Just compromise with what you buy.

LittleMissE
08-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Its your life... But if I was you I would buy a cheap truck and bike. And when you buy the bike you dont have to race it so if money is tight you could save money by not racing so you could just ride with friends or whatever. But thats just me I dont think I could give up riding for anything!!!

00tn300ex
08-26-2006, 08:52 PM
i agree buy a cheap truck like a square body S-10,the little 2.8 5 speeds are indestructible.then buy the bike you want and just push urself to work harder.put in some overtime work weekends do watever you have to do just for a little while till u have a little money set back.

Mx_523
08-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by mjpridered10
no-out...

Acutally, they wouldn't. My brother does better then I do and they aren't going to help him out. The only way they will help me out is that my dad would loan out money to me. Then I'd have to pay him back. And I have a 300ex. :p

Originally posted by A A R O N
$9k-you buy.
My dad won't let me buy a cheap truck. Plus I want a nice truck that I won't be embarrased to have a girl in.:eek: Along with a nice sound system. I'd rather buy a 250f bike then a 125cc bike. You can't go worng with them, they're reliable and fast and has torq.

WoofersInc
08-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Here is some advise from an old guy. I was in your shoes at one point. If you are going into the service all the best to you. Take advantage of what they are willing to teach/train you to do. It may seem like things will take forever but if you do things right now it will pay off. Learn a good trade in the service. USe that knowledge once you are out to get a well paying job and then you can play as you would like. I screwed around until I was 22. I then went into the Navy. I became a rescue swimmer and and medical tech. I then was put through nursing school by the Navy. As a nurse I can go anywhere in the country and be working tomorrow. Nursing is full time at 3 twelve hour shifts a week, leaving 4 days a week off.
Not trying to push you on nursing but on how the right choice now can impact you later. Look at my sig and the list of toys on it. I'm 41 now.
Don't go overboard now. Do it right and in a few years you will be much happier.
I know it's not what most kids want to hear when they are 18, 20 or 22 but just give it a little thought......

redroost85
08-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Good advice there Pap.

You're right though...not too easy to hear when your a young buck and got the world by the ***!:ermm:

A A R O N
08-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Mx_523
Acutally, they wouldn't. My brother does better then I do and they aren't going to help him out. The only way they will help me out is that my dad would loan out money to me. Then I'd have to pay him back. And I have a 300ex. :p

My dad won't let me buy a cheap truck. Plus I want a nice truck that I won't be embarrased to have a girl in.:eek: Along with a nice sound system. I'd rather buy a 250f bike then a 125cc bike. You can't go worng with them, they're reliable and fast and has torq.

Now that's just plain stupid. I can understand wanting a nice vehicle, but you can get a nice truck for a lot less than $4k, you just have to deal with something with a few less options, or a little less power. You don't have to have the biggest and best right away. And as far as the 250f, once again....you keep saying that you're not sure about trying to afford all this stuff, but then you go and turn down the 125's just because they're a little out dated. Don't just give something up simply because you can't have the absolute best and most advanced equipment. If a 125 is really that much less of a machine, then buy one and challenge youself to be a better rider and try to keep up with the 250f's. You have to realize that you're in the situation you are in only because you refuse to compromise.

Mx_523
08-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by WoofersInc
Here-thought......
I know a trade I would love to do. Carpentry. I'm in a vo-tech class right now and I've learned so much about building houses and such. We built a 100foot shed for the school along with numours sheds and other things of that sort. We even built a small 12'x12' house with sheetrocking and roofing. This summer I plan on working with a Contractor building houses. But here was my plan. When I join the Army, I want to be a Infentryman. I want to be in the action, actually see the battles from ground view. Ever since I was a little kid its what I wanted to do. I always dreamed about it and being on the frontlines. I know you guys are going to say its a waste of time and I'm retarted for doing it or even think about it though. That I would just get KIA or something along those lines. Also that I would be much better off being a carpenter in the Army. But I'm torn between both. Then, after that I was planning on going to a college or trade school for Carpentry.

Originally posted by A A R O N
Now that's just plain stupid. I can understand wanting a nice vehicle, but you can get a nice truck for a lot less than $4k, you just have to deal with something with a few less options, or a little less power. You don't have to have the biggest and best right away. And as far as the 250f, once again....you keep saying that you're not sure about trying to afford all this stuff, but then you go and turn down the 125's just because they're a little out dated. Don't just give something up simply because you can't have the absolute best and most advanced equipment. If a 125 is really that much less of a machine, then buy one and challenge youself to be a better rider and try to keep up with the 250f's. You have to realize that you're in the situation you are in only because you refuse to compromise.

I see what you mean, I didn't realized what I wanted to do was so stupid. Lol. But as for the truck deal, I was just looking for a little v6 or four cylnder truck with a cab. I could get a F-150 with a crewcab or a truck simlair to that for about 5 grand with about 100,000 miles on it. I would put to much more miles on it either.

Sorry for the long post and typos. I'm tired and don't want to proofread it I just want to sleep and wake up to go for my first day of school tommarow. Yay.:ermm:

Thanks.